Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Exhaust Vs stock muffler
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72boughitnew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Exhaust Vs stock muffler Reply with quote

I have always said, you never get a free lunch when an engine is modified. Power increases equals reduction in service life. A car manufacture has to warranty their product without regard to the ham fisted driver that operates the equipment. As a result considerable amount of reserve is engineered into the product. Changing exhaust, compression ratios, valve timing or induction independent of each other usually causes performance, reliability and service life issues.

With respect to back pressure in an exhaust system, it is only effects performance when it impedes exhaust scavenging (later part of the exhaust stroke). The main problem with back pressure is the effect it has on cylinder head temperature and exhaust valves.

I had considerable experience with Wright R3350 turbo compound radial engine. It had 3 power recovery turbines (PRT) that were coupled to the crankshaft by gear reduction units and fluid couplings. These were blowdown turbines not pressure turbines like a turbo charger. A blowdown turbine is like a water wheel it absorbs energy but does not impede the flow. The advantage of the turbo compound was that you could achieve higher torque at a lower break mean effective pressure, thus less stress on the engine components. At max power the PRTs added about 550 shaft horspower. Wright claimed that the PRT did not affect engine performance and they were correct. The monometer tests showed that the backpressure was roughly equal to a well designed jet stack system, during the area where exhaust scavenging affected performance. What they failed to mention was that the high pressures and high temperatures that occurred when the exhaust valve opened and the energy was absorbed by the PRT resulted in dropped valve seats burned exhaust valves and shortened service life of the PRTs. Eventually improved metals resolved the valve problems. By then the jet engines had taken over and the turbo compound became history.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Exhaust Vs stock muffler Reply with quote

The 3350 is one bad assed engine. Back in 1981 we had a full size cutaway with an electric motor to rotate it. Not sure if LSD was involved but designing that engine took some original thinking.

Link

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Exhaust Vs stock muffler Reply with quote

I have the Ernst muffler and I had it ceramic coated prior to installation. I used to have some POS performance muffler that lasted 4 years, followed by an OEM VW muffler from a junkyard when busses were still in junkyards. I rattled the used muffler with high temp silver and it lasted almost 10 years. The Ernst has been on there 5 years and should go the duration. Never have to think about it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a regular guy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Exhaust Vs stock muffler Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I have the Ernst muffler and I had it ceramic coated prior to installation. I used to have some POS performance muffler that lasted 4 years, followed by an OEM VW muffler from a junkyard when busses were still in junkyards. I rattled the used muffler with high temp silver and it lasted almost 10 years. The Ernst has been on there 5 years and should go the duration. Never have to think about it.

As stock mufflers go...the Ernst is the absolute best. Thicker materials, better steel, better welds, slightly higher internal volume (between 12-15% IIRC), slightly larger holes/drillings....better flow...slightly different but very quiet exhaust note.

Check this out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653839&highlight

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: