Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit ’78, know anything about this roof rack?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Rabbit ’78, know anything about this roof rack? Reply with quote

I want to paint this car so need to take off the roof rack. First, is this a factory optional rack or dealer installed?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The strips laying on metal have no screws, any guess how they are attached?

The rack posts are screwed into something. Do you think they go down under the top metal? What I want to know is, if I take the rack off is rain going to leak into the holes?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Did they take down the headliner to install this thing?
I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I take it apart,

Thanks!
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78, know anything about this roof rack? Reply with quote

Yea, that stuff is a rust hazard.
The strips are just glued down.
If your headliner is already damaged, or you dont mind damaging it instead of removing it, I imagine a careful slice into it would gain access to those nuts, just guessing.
You could patch or sew the cuts later.

You have the right idea removing it, water leaking into the roof will secretly, but quickly, destroy the car unless you have covered parking for it.
mk13nb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78, know anything about this roof rack? Reply with quote

Those look like rabbit pickup side rails. Someone may have used a set to create their own. The bed rails on my truck are attached with nutserts, so they just are bolted on without any fastener on the inside. Just try unscrewing them first before you do anything with the headliner. They may just come off.
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78, know anything about this roof rack? Reply with quote

cordless impact with a proper bit can do wonders
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78, know anything about this roof rack? Reply with quote

VW Aftermarket Add On.
Friend had a Rabbit in College in the early 80's had that rack, and wood grain paneling(Vinyl Application) on the sides.
I could never get that thing in 1st gear!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: