Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

I think North Westy and Small Car both still do paint.
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

jbnova wrote:
I think North Westy and Small Car both still do paint.

Small Car doesn't have a body shop - they don't paint; NW Westy I called 18 months ago, they can do paint, but it was more like "it depends" and they said a paint job starts at about $12k if no other body work is needed, and they were about 6 months out - in body shop talk, that means about a year out.

If you want something better than Maaco, but don't want to spend $15k, Try Narrow Way Collision in Everett. Like everywhere else, you would be wise to strip or van yourself and leave it with them for 6 months but they should be able to get it done for $5k or so.

I got a bid from them 3 years ago, but decided to go somewhere else since I was dealing with some minor seam rust - which turned into window channel rust and a rotted section behind the slider....
jwatches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

Amigaboy,

I'm thinking about having a paint job done this Winter. So far I have found two types of shops; collision shops that focus only on insurance work, and custom auto body that often do higher end work on hotrods, etc. I have visited a few smaller shops and one that seemed like a good guy was Maldonado's Auto Body Repair in Kirkland, just off the 116th exit from 405.

I discussed the idea with him of just doing my Westy from the rain gutters down and having me remove all the external trim in advance. My top is fine and I'm sticking with the stock color. I also have only some surface rust on the seam sealer that I think will not require any metal work. He was talking about $7K-10K. If you end up working with him, let me know. Maybe we can work a volume discount Very Happy
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

The Maaco shop in Bremerton is owned by a Syncro owner (Nick Pugh) who has been doing some work for Small car. When it's time for my van I'll get in touch to hear more from him. No affiliation and no knowledge beyond an fb chat.

From fb...

Quote:

Nick Pugh
I own the Maaco in Bremerton Washington and each Maaco has different owners. I have 2 Syncro‘s and Small Car in federal way brings all his repainting to me (look him up on the samba). But we charge like a normal shop SHOULD. Vans are tough and anyone who paints them needs to know. Most important asks for a customer are “do you do the seems and pull the windows” average cost range is 5-10k. Here are a couple I have done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

How'd my van sneak into that first pic?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: