Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint situation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Theres tons of good painters in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico just 100 meters away from the border, you americans can cross right know so take advantage of the prices and dont pay attention to the negative reviews. Theres a guy in a corner that has always Vanagons and Buses I bet that he is the guy to go to.

If any one needs help shoot me a pm and ill take you to several body shops, I will not charge anything just bring some cash to take you to the best fucking shrimp tacos in the country.

Bring your own windows seals!!!

Viva Mexico cabrones!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Bottom of this thread. No affiliation. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9578717&highlight=#9578717
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

All very good input thus far.

The other consideration, is whether or not the prep work (as in the type or quantity of primer, for instance) is any different for the very metallic paint I purchased?

It's a 2-stage, and I've already been told that I need to add at least 1/2:1 the amount of reducer to the paint. Otherwise, will find just how well it covers.

Just for kicks, I painted a little swatch down by the bumper where I still have some grinding left to do.

Although not an original Westfalia color, it is sourced from an old VW golf, 1987, which inspired the wife. (pic attached).

The color looks entirely different form the can to the surface of the van. Unbelievable.

At this stage, I'm leaning towards doing it myself, IF I can find a booth to rent with compressor (I've got a silly 6 gallon porter cable, not adequate for this job I am presuming)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by CelestysWesty on Sat May 15, 2021 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

That was exactly my point, theres tons of paint shops! And to save a little more peny theres seems that that specific shop is famous in the samba but just by looking at it it gives me goose bumps... send me a PM im telling you im from this city I know my town!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Bottom of this thread. No affiliation. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9578717&highlight=#9578717

That's a disappointment.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd shoot my first job with a metalic inspired paint. Its enough to get the paint on even let alone worrying about the flake laying out evenly. Not saying it can't be done.

edit: Roger, nice offer.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Any time guys!
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

CelestysWesty wrote:

Wait. If that's the quality of the work your "connection" did you've got a lot of work ahead of you to make it half decent.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

[quote="MayorMcCheese"]
CelestysWesty wrote:

Wait. If that's the quality of the work your "connection" did you've got a lot of work ahead of you to make it half decent.

Thats a lot of Bondo.... These suckers made me feel embarrassed at my city (not that all the shops are like that) and at the same time anger... That's the reason why this lovely country doesn't grow... I'm so sorry you had to go true to this.

EDIT: ups! Maybe youre talking of Florida? Laughing
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

[quote="rogertj"]
MayorMcCheese wrote:
CelestysWesty wrote:

Thats a lot of Bondo.... These suckers made me feel embarrassed at my city (not that all the shops are like that) and at the same time anger... That's the reason why this lovely country doesn't grow... I'm so sorry you had to go true to this.

EDIT: ups! Maybe youre talking of Florida? Laughing

Yes, this is definitely some Florida work. South Dade to be precise.

But to save myself some of the responsibility by association, I did Photograph the absolute worst place on the van (where I tested the paint, underneath where the front bumper goes), because I knew this was an area I need to address before dropping it off.)

The rest of the van, I can pretty vouch for, because I personally cut off rusty panels, welded new panels on, filled, sanded, sanded, and filled.

Considering where this van started, I’ll take this one crappy bonded fender, and be happy with criticisms.

CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

syncro surf wrote:
Do you have a compressor? I've gotten very good results with this gun:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/woodstock-professional-spray-gun-1-5mm/w1793

It's LVLP (low volume low pressure) as opposed to the more common HVLP. It only requires 3-4 cfm which most basic compressors can provide. With a little practice you can lay down some pretty nice paint. It's a skill that's not that hard to acquire if it's something that you're interested in.

I’ve got one of those small 6 gallon porter cable pancake deals. Says it can run about 2.8 CFm continuously, so even just shy of what you are suggesting with the LVLP gun.

I wonder if it would be worth testing?? Otherwise, leaning towards just renting the appropriate size compressor.

Which, speaking of which- looking to rent a paint booth. Has anyone ever done this? Know of some rates that I can compare to? I’m thinking rent for 2-3 days, rent compressor, tow the van completely prepped to the location, buy the gun, do it myself, and come out of this booth feeling majorly accomplished and not bleeding from my wallet.
I’m finding options in central Florida’s, but nothing that seems very legit in the miami area.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I don't know that I'd shoot my first job with a metalic inspired paint. Its enough to get the paint on even let alone worrying about the flake laying out evenly. Not saying it can't be done.

A proper metallic gun has an air powered stirring paddle that keeps the flake in suspension.

I don't have one of those.

At the time (late 1990’s) I was fixing up a dodge minivan.
My boss at the time offered thus advice.......

"Dave, forget about proper painting technique when spraying metallic.
As you spray keep shaking the gun and spray the vehicle in a mad man like random pattern!"

Darn if he wasn't correct!
No zebra stripes or clumps of metallic.
I ended up with a panel repair that had the proper flake distribution and darn near matched the factory paint!
It is a bit disconcerting to spray so randomly but it totally worked.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

A proper metallic gun has an air powered stirring paddle that keeps the flake in suspension.

As you spray keep shaking the gun and spray the vehicle in a mad man like random pattern!"

I ended up with a panel repair that had the proper flake distribution and darn near matched the factory paint!

Dave

Yes to all the above.

When I sprayed the Titian Red on my '87 10 years or more ago the painter at the shop where I got the paint told me to keep the reservoir on the gun agitated and to not repeat patterns. Spray vertical strokes for first coat, horizontal for second, and at 45 degrees for final coat, or whatever fancies you, just do not repeat. Zebra stripes are real.... you can see the swirls in the base paint and those swirls of metal flake will come out of the gun as bursts of higher and lower concentration of the metal flake.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
djkeev wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Dave

Yes to all the above.

When I sprayed the Titian Red on my '87 10 years or more ago the painter at the shop where I got the paint told me to keep the reservoir on the gun agitated and to not repeat patterns. Spray vertical strokes for first coat, horizontal for second, and at 45 degrees for final coat, or whatever fancies you, just do not repeat. Zebra stripes are real.... you can see the swirls in the base paint and those swirls of metal flake will come out of the gun as bursts of higher and lower concentration of the metal flake.

This is great information.
I actually have a fine art degree in Painting. Not very useful in most practical applications, but THIS, I can understand the principles of.

What about tip size for the gun? Some are saying 1.5mm for metallics to avoid clogging, but perhaps even higher?

Other detail is that the original "hook-up" asked me to buy 2 gallons of clear coat. He jipped me out of one of those gallons, but now I'm wondering if that will even be necessary.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

If you purchased a base coat/clear coat system, yes you need the clear coat.

I dislike the clear coat system and use a single stage paint whenever I can.
Single stage is so much easier for me, once and done.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Show the paint guy what gun you are using and the compressor and listen to the advice. If they are good they'll give you good advice about the tips, pressures, thinners, activators, etc. That is what I did and it worked out great.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Uhh... is it humid where you are shooting this? There is a serious problem with water coming through with the air after a few minutes of compressing especially in a smaller tank operation.. Get a separator, or one(+) of these inline thingies: https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-30252A-Water-Separato...amp;sr=8-9
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: