Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

This morning when changing the oil in my ‘67’s engine, I found several small hard bits of something caught in the screen. Although I cleaned them up with soap and water and inspected them with a magnifying glass, I’m unable to determine for sure what they are and where they came from. I also tested the bits with a strong magnet, and although the attraction is not as strong as it is with nuts, bolts, etc. there is a slight attraction to the magnet.

The engine has good compression and runs and sounds very healthy, and I religiously change the oil every 3,000 miles.

About 10,000 miles ago when I was removing and replacing the fuel pump, the bottom of the fuel pump’s base broke off inside of the case. I fished as much as I could out, and figured the rest would get broken up and flush out during future oil changes. I changed the oil 500 miles after replacing the fuel pump, and found several small pieces of the fuel pump base caught in the screen, however, the next several oil changes produced nothing in the screen...until today.

I would like to assume that what I found today are merely more bits from the fuel pump base finally flushing out of the engine, however, the fact that there is a slight attraction to the magnet has me worried that the bits I found today are from something else broken inside of the engine.

The fuel pump bases are made of hard plastic or Bakelite, correct? Would there be a slight attraction to a magnet with plastic or Bakelite?

Any other thoughts on what these bits could be and where they may have come from?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

Fuel pump stand lower section.
It got crunched up by the cam gears.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

That’s what I’m hoping it is...but why the slight attraction to a magnet if the fuel pump base is made of some sort of hard plastic or Bakelite?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

That’s what I’m hoping it is...but why the slight attraction to a magnet if the fuel pump base is made of some sort of hard plastic or Bakelite?

I have no idea as to why the material is attracted to the magnet.

But there is nothing else inside a ACVW engine made of bakelite/plastic.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

But there is nothing else inside a ACVW engine made of bakelite/plastic.

I don’t know if what I found today is Bakelite/plastic...or if it’s some sort of metal??? The fact that it’s slightly attracted by a magnet suggests it’s at least partially metal...which could mean it’s not bits of the fuel pump base.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

It (fuel pump block) could have picked up a SLIGHT bit of magnetism from the SLIGHT cut of the rings or the cylinders. Even a rocker arm could give off enough sluff to give that sight reading. But judging by what others have said, and I have seen it so many times, its the fuel pump block, and yes it is 100% plastic or bakelite. The early cam gears were bakelite or some such plastic, but I am sure this is not your case.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
It (fuel pump block) could have picked up a SLIGHT bit of magnetism from the SLIGHT cut of the rings or the cylinders. Even a rocker arm could give off enough sluff to give that sight reading. But judging by what others have said, and I have seen it so many times, its the fuel pump block, and yes it is 100% plastic or bakelite. The early cam gears were bakelite or some such plastic, but I am sure this is not your case.

Huh! Learned something new today. I guess I can go back to bed. Laughing

Wheels, Take a piece and crush it with a pair of pliers. I bet it crushes real easy.

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

It will crush REAL easy. You are right, and when you look at the second row of pieces he took out they are rounded. His oil will be a little darker also. I would run through an oil change, change again, then forget about it. Again, I have seen it soooooo many times in 50 years VW. Also I have seen only two engines torn down because this ended up causing a problem........the rest, motor on!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:

Interesting. I just took hold of one of the larger bits I discovered today with two needle nose pliers, and was able to break it in half easily...it didn’t bend and seems to be very brittle.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

Wheels, Sorry I called on you for the crush on the bits.

Frank, Look at the crushed bit with a magnifying glass. They likely have a brown reddish (Bakelite), or black (Plastic) tint to them.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Wheels, Sorry I called on you for the crush on the bits.

Frank, Look at the crushed bit with a magnifying glass. They likely have a brown reddish (Bakelite), or black (Plastic) tint to them.

Under led light and a magnifying glass, the bits look black.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

It's not magnetism per se but electrostatic attraction that you see.

Bakelite and plastics are very poor conductors and can pick up electrostatic charge resulting in what appears to be very small magnetic charge.

If you remember rubbing a black plastic rod with a cloth vigorously in school science lessons and then attracting a stream of water magically towards that black rod, you now know what attraction there is between bakelite and the molecules of water!

Don't fret. The bakelite itself has NO metal in it.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
It's not magnetism per se but electrostatic attraction that you see.

Bakelite and plastics are very poor conductors and can pick up electrostatic charge resulting in what appears to be very small magnetic charge.

If you remember rubbing a black plastic rod with a cloth vigorously in school science lessons and then attracting a stream of water magically towards that black rod, you now know what attraction there is between bakelite and the molecules of water!

Don't fret. The bakelite itself has NO metal in it.

Thank you for your explanation, I feel much better now!
kendricksoares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bits of ? Found In Oil Screen Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
This morning when changing the oil in my ‘67’s engine, I found several small hard bits of something caught in the screen. Although I cleaned them up with soap and water and inspected them with a magnifying glass, I’m unable to determine for sure what they are and where they came from. I also tested the bits with a strong magnet, and although the attraction is not as strong as it is with nuts, bolts, etc. there is a slight attraction to the magnet.

The engine has good compression and runs and sounds very healthy, and I religiously change the oil every 3,000 miles.

About 10,000 miles ago when I was removing and replacing the fuel pump, the bottom of the fuel pump’s base broke off inside of the case. I fished as much as I could out, and figured the rest would get broken up and flush out during future oil changes. I changed the oil 500 miles after replacing the fuel pump, and found several small pieces of the fuel pump base caught in the screen, however, the next several oil changes produced nothing in the screen...until today.

I would like to assume that what I found today are merely more bits from the fuel pump base finally flushing out of the engine, however, the fact that there is a slight attraction to the magnet has me worried that the bits I found today are from something else broken inside of the engine.

The fuel pump bases are made of hard plastic or Bakelite, correct? Would there be a slight attraction to a magnet with plastic or Bakelite?

Any other thoughts on what these bits could be and where they may have come from?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey Frank, new member here. I emailed you personally and am hoping i can get a hold of you. Need help with removing a door hinge pin by tomorrow afternoon. Am local in west palm and hoping, praying you can sell or let me borrow that hinge pin tool you posted about so i can get my imported bug to pass inspection. Please let me know 561-809-4157. call or text. Thanks Mate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: