Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

project git R done - 1977
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

there is a bushing at the front of the shift pipebowl tube that falls out. Make sure it is there; the shifter coupling in the back can wear out and fall apart; also the shift lock out plate under the shifter can break.
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
there is a bushing at the front of the shift pipebowl tube that falls out. Make sure it is there; the shifter coupling in the back can wear out and fall apart; also the shift lock out plate under the shifter can break.

I forgot to mention that I replaced the bushing at the front of the shift rod. It was completely gone. I also replaced the shifter coupling in the back. The shift plate under the shifter looked okay, just rusty.

The metal ball on the end of the shifter with spring-loaded pin looked a bit worn, but I just cleaned it and greased the heck out of it and put it back together. I'll wait to see how it shifts when the engine is in.

I guess if it's not acceptable I can only replace the shifter itself, because every other wear item has now been replaced.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Replacing the shifter with another 40+ year old one will not solve anything.

Inspect. Everything. Carefully.

I think the front bushing is probably the first thing to go but causes havoc over time on the rest of the components. The hole for the bushing on mine was worn in an egg shape and the new bushing was too sloppy. I cut out a piece of sheet metal, drilled a 1” hole for the bushing and bolted it over the existing front bushing plate. I had the e-brake linkage removed for access. I could have welded it in but I like being able to remove it for whatever reasons in the future.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inspect the shifter, ball, pin and circle above the ball. Mine was worn on two sides on the circle where it rides on the lockout plate. I welded the surface back up and created a nice round surface.

The below isn't the finished product but shows what I did.

Inspect the slop of the ball and pin in the hole/bowl of the shift shaft. I removed the shaft and actually squeezed the bowl a tiny bit with the pipe fitting on the bench vice. That really tightened the side to side/twisting motion of the shifter. Do not overdo it though. (Shifter circle part is mostly round again!)

Inspect the lockout plate and study how it works. Again, I ended up welding the worn sides and filing back down for a nice smooth surface. Aftermarket lockout plates are garbage compared to the originals. The originals have nice sharp 90 degree angles where the tabs bend up. Not so much in aftermarket.

Inspect shifter coupling in the rear. I mixed original cage with new bushing.

There is a good chance everything else mentioned above will need attention if the PO continued to man-handle the shifter well after the hockey stick ball and/or front bushing failed. Once all of these little issues are cleared up then the final shifter adjustment is actually worth doing with great results! Cool
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:

Inspect the slop of the ball and pin in the hole/bowl of the shift shaft. I removed the shaft and actually squeezed the bowl a tiny bit with the pipe fitting on the bench vice. That really tightened the side to side/twisting motion of the shifter. Do not overdo it though. (Shifter circle part is mostly round again!)

I've tried this a couple times, and haven't ever felt like I could actually get it to bend/compress/tighten any! Were you really cranking down on it with the vice?
When you say, "pipe fitting on the bench vice" are you referring to the shifter part, or some accessory for use with a vice for working with pipes?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

I stand corrected. It wasn't the middle part that holds pipe but rather the other side of my vice that can hold round stuff.

Yes - it was a bit difficult. I bent the handle on the vice and had to bend it back when I was done! Embarassed Acetylene would have been an option if the vice didn’t work.

dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: engine going in Reply with quote

The longblock is built, and I put the sheet metal on it to mock it up. I'm still waiting on a few seals for the tin, but I wanted to see how it looks. Then I figured I should try sticking it in the bus to see what that involved. Long ago I had a 1969 bus with a Type 1 engine in it, and I had that engine in and out on a monthly basis. Nothing to it. But this is my first Type 4, and the bus came to me without an engine, so I didn't have the educational experience of removing the engine.

I could swear I had read some writeups on how to do it, but of course when I searched there was nothing to be found.

With the bus on the lift, and the engine on a trans jack on the floor, I started jockeying the engine back and forth and up and down. Eventually I removed the rear tin and the oil filler, and the rear support bar, and was able to get the bottom engine mounting studs into the transmission. But they are too short!

It makes sense, since this engine was undoubtedly in a 1973 bus, which presumably has a transmission different than the 091 in this one, so the studs are shorter. After some google'ing I found that I need 100mm studs, rather than the 70mm ones I have. I purchased some on eBay.

I also need longer bolts up top. I found a 123mm shaft length D-bolt from a seller on here. And for the driver side top bolt I should be able to get one from Fastenal or a hardware store.

As soon as I can bolt the engine to the trans I want to see how the rear support bar fits in place. Then I can see what's involved in getting the firewall seal and the engine compartment in, and working on a battery hold down, and figuring out how the wiring is supposed to go.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: engine going in Reply with quote

dlwilson wrote:

I could swear I had read some writeups on how to do it, but of course when I searched there was nothing to be found.

Its too bad you didnt find any search results about install. You may want to take an hour and drop your trans back out and then bolt up to engine on the floor and reinstall together. The rear mount crossarm can be left in place as well doing it that way. Its one of the best tips ever for R&R of the Type 4 motors. Once you fight yours for a while and then do it that way, you will see why.

Be sure to torque the cv shaft bolts properly. In fact, if you didnt, and you decide to drop trans for the engine install, that would be a good time to put some blue loctite on those bolts as well. I dropped two shafts over the years from just putting those bolts in gout-en-tite. Lesson learned the hard way.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: engine going in Reply with quote

dlwilson wrote:
But this is my first Type 4, and the bus came to me without an engine

It makes sense, since this engine was undoubtedly in a 1973

I read through your thread and saw where the og engine was stolen or something before you got this bus. Just curious why you are building up the 1700 and why you think is “undoubtedly” from a ‘73?

Was the engine code stamped on the cooling shroud the same as the stamp on the case ( by the breather tower)? Theres a long history of different shrouds getting swapped around on different size type 4’s since they will fit each other.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: engine going in Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

Was the engine code stamped on the cooling shroud the same as the stamp on the case ( by the breather tower)? Theres a long history of different shrouds getting swapped around on different size type 4’s since they will fit each other.

Yes, both the shroud and case have CB039462 on them. I'm building the 1700 because that's what I found on FB marketplace. I didn't want to go through the extra learning process to change it to 2.0; just getting this built stock has been enough of a learning process. It's going into a bus that's been stripped of everything but the front seats, so it should be pretty light, especially with the weight loss from the rust. I got the engine from a guy who had it in the back of his garage. It must have been sitting a long time, it was completely full of mud dauber nests. And number 4 rod journal was really pounded out.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

If you're installing a 1973 motor onto the original transmission (and it looks like it's probably the 6-rib from the pics) for your '77 Bus, the bellhousing is not a correct match for your engine; it is deeper.

That would explain the bolt length.

You'll want to do some reading on getting the correct flywheel/clutch/starter setup for that combo. Unfortunately, I bet most of the information will be in reverse... i.e. people wanting to install a 2.0 onto an earlier transmission.

Also, you might find the gearing of that transmission to be a little too tall for the '73 motor.

I'm sorry to be the possible bearer of bad news!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Yep, I see a 6 rib 091 under there, you'll need a late flywheel/clutch and a late starter. And as mentioned it'll be an overheating dog with those ratios.

And take a wire brush and some steel wool to that pilot shaft, the end of it is a bearing, and the splines have to be clean and smooth for the clutch disc to slide easily on them in use.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If you're installing a 1973 motor onto the original transmission (and it looks like it's probably the 6-rib from the pics) for your '77 Bus, the bellhousing is not a correct match for your engine; it is deeper.

Hmm, that's not good. I have a resurfaced 210mm flywheel, and am waiting on 210mm clutch and pressure plate to arrive. At least the starter I have is supposed to be for the 091 transmission.

This helpful page https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-487750--start-20--index.html leads me to believe I have two options:

buy 228mm flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, and sell off the 210mm parts.
or
swap bellhousing and input shaft from a 002 transmission onto my 091 trans

I am leaning toward the first option, since the parts are easier to find, and I can theoretically sell off the 210mm stuff to recoup my costs, ha ha. Also I'm thinking about the next owner, who with option two will be confused when buying replacement starter or clutch. Here is a guy who encountered that situation:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-567370--.html

I'm in flat south Florida, so the taller gearing may not be as much of an issue for me.
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: engine is ready Reply with quote

I'm back! I've been hanging out in the performance/engine forum here, while I rebuilt the engine (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747408). But this weekend I fired up the engine on the bench for it's 20 minute cam break-in run, and amazingly everything went smoothly, and I say it's ready to go back in. Now I have to finish prepping the bus.

Oh, follow-up to previous flywheel posts. I ended up keeping the 210mm setup, which worked just fine when mated to a 091 transmission. I did find that the starter for an automatic transmission will not work with the 091, so I had to buy a different starter and replace the bushing, but once it was set up it worked great.

Also I have the engine bolted to the trans for the run-in, so I will be putting them back in as a unit. Can I leave all the tin on for this? And the muffler? And does the long engine seal go on after the engine is in?

Bus prep requires just a few things to make it driveable. The first is the gas cap. I don't have one, or even a place to put one. Many years ago I had 1969 bus, which I remember had a flap to cover the cap. This one just has a hole. What do I need to buy so I can have a place to put the cap?

Something else to do before the first drive is buy or fabricate something to mount the battery. It looks like someone put in a replacement battery tray, so I think I just need the battery hold down clamp.

I also have to mount the passenger front seat, and check/replace the throttle cable. My carb linkage doesn't have the barrel nut thing that the cable goes into. It looks like it should be about 0.5" in diameter, based on the linkage, but I can't find one online anywhere. Suggestions.

After that, just install the engine/trans, and figure out the wiring at the starter motor. I'm converting to a carb'ed engine from FI, so it should be simple. Does the main power for the electrical system come from the hot stud on the starter?

And in the "for the future" category, do something about the sunroof. There's just a sunroof, and no mechanism or tracks, so it leaks a lot. After reading about the difficulty of making the sunroof work I'm leaning toward just closing up the hole by welding in a piece of sheet metal. Then there's making the vent windows work, and replacing the leaky window seals, but that all comes after it runs and drives.

dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: good progress Reply with quote

Good progress tonight. First up was the fuel filler. Today in the mail I got the right-angle boot that goes to the fuel filler flange, the flange itself, the hose that goes between the tank and metal filler tube, and a gas cap. I was disappointed in the right angle boot. The boot on the bus is a heavy rubber, and has some rubber inside to seal on the gas pump nozzle. The new boot is a much lighter rubber, has no internal piece, and the four flange holes aren't even the right pattern. But it's a new piece, so I used it.

The new filler hose was also confusing. I was expecting just a short straight piece of hose, but what I got was a longer piece with a bend in it that matches the metal tube. I though about cutting off part of the metal tube to replace it with rubber, but when it comes to fuel, metal > rubber. I cut off a short piece to replace the existing rubber tube, which was pretty fragile. It all went in without too much trouble, and I replaced all five of the hose pieces in the fuel tank vent tubing while I was in there. Although, the two tubes don't connect to anything where they end in the engine compartment, so maybe I need a canister of some sort.

Then I got to put the fuel filler flange on. I've wondered since I got this bus how the gas cap would go on, and now I know. I put the flange on with four self-tapping screws.

While I had the fuel tank cover plate out I tried again to figure out how the firewall seal attaches to it. One end of the channel is too small for the seal, and the channel gradually gets wider until it's too wide for the seal at the other end. It doesn't appear to be bent. Do I just glue the seal in? I don't have a good picture.

Next was some metalwork, which I'm not good at. The left rear corner of the sheet metal surrounding the engine opening was pretty mangled. I worked it over with pliers, hammer, and dolly, until it looked better. I finally realized I could use the engine sheet metal as a model. [Also, what's the mount/brace thing below the bent metal in the first picture? Can I remove it?]

Finally I had to make a battery hold-down. Someone had replaced the battery tray, but there was no hold-down plate. I got a big battery on sale, so I didn't think the stock hold-down would fit. I ended up making one, mostly out of mig wire, and a little bit of angle iron. It took a lot of cutting, fitting, welding, and grinding, but the battery seems secure.

I think I'm ready to try putting the engine in. I tried once before to install the engine when the trans was already in. There is a helpful tip on this thread to try it with the trans and engine together. The trans is already on the engine from the bench break-in, so I'm going to try it that way. With the lift all the way up, the bus just barely clears the engine on the bench, so I'm going to roll the bench under there, and try to lower the bus onto it. Any tips?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

The larger hose you bought is for an earlier style filler neck. Somewhere in ‘76 model year production, VW went from a shorter steel tube ( which would use that longer rubber tube), to a longer steel tube which obviously only requires a couple inches of hose.

My ‘77 is like yours with the short rubber connector, but my daughters ‘76 project takes the longer one.

From Ratwell: 1 ft. of 2 1/4" Filler hose to tank hose, NAPA 1055 NBH GAS HOSE

https://ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html

I will try to get hands on my two different necks and snap a pic so you can see the difference in length.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Think you will be fighting your install by lowering bus onto motor. As you lower it, you loose clearance to get under there for hook ups. If you can score one of these, it makes install a breeze.

I just put a motor in the other day. With this style jack, you can be under the bus and guide the trans forks, shift rod, and hanger lugs into position while just using your foot to pump up the jack at the same time. I set the bus on jack stands under rear tube at a height of 28” from bottom of rear valance to floor. With the s-tube off, the whole thing slides right underneath. I leave exhaust off till later just for ease of jacking.

This pic is an older one but you get the idea.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Here are the ones off my old tour bus and daughters project bus. Both ‘76 models. And as you found out, the rubber section is much larger then what is needed for the ‘77 and later years.

Cant find my spare ‘77 tube, but you already know what that one looks like. Not sure if you can buy the shorter rubber you need, but the Napa trick works just fine and is readily available.

Or another option, is to just cut your steel tube down as needed. The cut would be in the straight area, so you could get a solid clamping in there. You just loose the raised area at the end of the tube that keeps a clamp from sliding off.

If I were gonna go that route, I would double up the clamps, 180* out on the end. Cheap insurance that the clamp wont slide off.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Think you will be fighting your install by lowering bus onto motor. As you lower it, you loose clearance to get under there for hook ups. ...

I have the engine up on the bench that I used to break in the cam, so I should have plenty of clearance to get under it. I like your jack better, but I can't justify having one around. You can see my little transmission jack on the lower shelf of the bench, but I don't think it's up to the task.

It looks like I lower the bus until I can raise the end of the transmission forward and over the trans mount, and then lower the bus a bit more, and hopefully have everything line up.

I hit a snag this weekend when I tried to install the rear support bar onto the completed engine. I couldn't get it past the exhaust and the fan shroud, so I am going to remove the rear sheet metal and fan should, and I think that will give me space.

Thanks for the filler hose photos. As mentioned, I just cut off a short piece of the hose I got, and used it to join the steel tube to the tank. It would have been cheaper to simply buy a section of straight hose, but you use what you have.

dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: baby got new shoes Reply with quote

I got four General Grabber A/TX tires on today. I ordered them from Tire Rack ($500 shipped, with $100 rebate), and had them sent to a mobile installer. He showed up today, and charged $150 for mount, balance, valve stems, and old tire disposal. Now I have to stay on top of the rebate, and make sure I use the gift card they send me before it expires.

I also got the sliding door working after asking for help in this thread (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754488). I'm happy, because I thought the door would need significant repair before I could really drive the bus, even after I get it running. Instead it was just a piece of welding rod. Although the door could still use a tune-up and adjustment.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: project git R done - 1977 Reply with quote

Oh shit dude! Didnt realize you were raising and lowering your bus on a lift. That changes everything. That dog ‘ll hunt!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: