Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have luck with the 123 ignition?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

i just added some dual kadrons on my split bus with a 1641 dp. im getting the infamous flat spot off idle. to be more specific, when i give gas the motor will die out. *if* i feather the pedal i can get it pass the flat spot without dying or once im driving it will sputter and just continue running.

anyhow, i'm hearing it could be a number of things from accelerator pump/diaphram to my 009 not having as much advance timing. so i'm thinking of ponying up and getting a 123 electronic/bluetooth distributor and wondering if anyone here has one?

if so, can you share your experience with it? is it worth having the bluetooth feature to advance/retard timing on the fly?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

Why not find the cause if it's the carb?

If you have the original carb you want to match it to the original distributor, so what carb do you have?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

i had a single solex carb matched with the 009.

the kadrons are "new to me" and were set up on a 1600 according to the PO. i'm going to revisit the carbs (resync, adjust, etc.) and also do the timing when i ran across some of the feedback from others saying the 123 distributors are nice cause it allows for much more advance than the 009.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

here's a video of it running after instal...

Link
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:
the 123 distributors are nice cause it allows for much more advance than the 009.

How much advance do you think your engine needs?

I wouldn't go more than 30* in a bus.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

I'd look into the CB Performance Black Box. It's done wonders for my dual IDFs.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

I was just yesterday beginning on rehabbing my engine that has been shelved for the last 6 years. It's a single port 1600 with dual Kadrons, a 009 and a single quiet pack muffler. Ran like a top for the last 21 years. Not being familiar with a dual port engine with the Kadrons, but I've got a vacuum balance tube between both intake manifolds and the right hand carb air cleaner base has a tube that connects to the oil breather with a hose. I see you have routed your breather through the tin? Is that how it is done? A friend with a freshly built 356C engine went round and round for months with his engine exhibiting an off idle issue as per your video, he wound up having the carbs completely rebuilt (about $1700!) and the issue went away. He had tried other carbs, distributors, coils, wires, you name it.....in the end it was the carbs.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

Quote:
He had tried other carbs, distributors, coils, wires, you name it.....in the end it was the carbs.

so a friend dug in to one of the carbs and turns out the accelerator diaphragm was rock solid and looked like the fuel that sat in it for years kept it from moving and didn't squirt much if any. explains why once the motor gets past the the AP range it runs nice and healthy. gonna order a rebuild kit and see if that solves the problem.

btw, does anyone know what size idle and main jet a stock 1600 motor takes?
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

they come stock with a 130 main jet, but a 125 or 127.5 can work. get a jet gage, dont trust the numbers on the jets, many have been redrilled
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

No experience with the ignition you mentioned OP, but I had a similar problem with my Kads. Turns out one of them had a cracked emulsion tube, sent them back to Kaddie Shack and they fixed them. There's no more flat spot, No more hesitation off idle, with Pertronix Ignitor in a Bosch 019 equivalent, Pertronix Ignitor coil, and 30° of advance. Have had it set this way for 10 years, haven't adjusted the timing since.

https://shop.kaddieshack.com/Kadron-Solex-H40-44EI...KAD-EM.htm
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

quick update: we just installed the new ac pump diaphragm and the hesitation from idle seems to be fixed. but i’m still getting a flat spot just after idle. i picked up the 123distributor and wondering if anyone can share the right static timing? according to the instructions, it says for the 009 the static timing is set at 7 deg. should i set it for a little more advance?

it also says that the advance at 3000+ rpm should be between 28 and 32deg.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

just finished installing the 123 unit. pretty sweet imo. here's a video of it running and the curves i have set so far. eliminated the flat spot form idle completely! now i have some studder mid range which i think is related to my timing curve not right yet. below the video are the curve settings i'm looking to get help with...

Link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CamBiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

Curious to know how you are getting on with this?

It would be great to get it on the dyno to be able to see what works in the way of adjustments in real time........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

I'll see if I can post a screenshot of my Black Box dist. curve and MAP settings.
I just have it on the default dual carb setup, and It's been running beautifully.
johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

CamBiscuit wrote:
Curious to know how you are getting on with this?

It would be great to get it on the dyno to be able to see what works in the way of adjustments in real time........

i was able to get in contact with the manufacturer of the product and they gave me some better maps for a baseline. definitely runs better but not perfect.

Quote:
I'll see if I can post a screenshot of my Black Box dist. curve and MAP settings.
I just have it on the default dual carb setup, and It's been running beautifully.

thanks culito! i'd love to see what your settings are and can run it to see if my motor likes it better.
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

I run a very similar setup - a 1904 SP heads, dual Kad's (from KaddieShack) with Vac.
I have a 123Tune+ Bluetooth Distributor and did a fair amount of work to get this far - I found the more advance you give it at idle the smoother it ticks over, and the sooner you ramp up the advance the less 'flat spot' type symptom you get.
I did a comparison graph between the stock 034 Vac Adv dizzy thats commonly fitted these days and a Mallory (now MSD) $400 red top with GREY/GREY springs that John at Aircoolednet recommends and what I found 'felt' seat of the pants right.
What the excel graph *really* shows is just how sedate the advance is on a stock 034 (this was mapped from the correct Bosch half speed distributor tables) - the settings I use really pepped up the engine - you can see I start my advance at 11 for nice tickover, (modern cars these days run really high idle adv - 14/16deg!), the only change from these figures is I fancied occasionally on a hot day I thought it pinged a touch (just once or twice), but I could have been imagining this, so I dropped the final advance back a degree to 31.
The important part is the more agressive ramp up of the advance rather than the overall final advance, it would be interesting to see what the best results would be from a proper dyno.
I can't take credit for all of this - as I spent alot of time looking at the ignition maps from the MegaJolt and Programmable ECM boys - but the ign point is gnerally the same across most maps - its just the way you fire it!
Cheers,
TED

(also to add I'm in the UK where we have 95 Octane petrol (gas!) as a minimum standard, with 97 as 'super' I just run standard pump 95)

sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

you rock ted698! i'm gonna try plugging in your numbers and see if it improves my set up. question, i read somewhere in the manual to ty and keep the points on the lower side. at 10, are you seeing any weirdness?
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

No not at all, the more data points you have mapped the finer the control in my opinion.
Your vac map looks a bit tame, try adding my numbers as you are rolling your vac off pretty early. It took me a while to get my head around the vac programming but if you remember that normal air pressure is 100kpa, so anything less than 100 is vacuum.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

ok plugged your numbers in and i can't tell if it helped me lol. i notice the flat spot isn't off idle anymore for sure. but right around 1200-1500 if i punch thru it'll stutter but stay running. if i stay on the pedal and gradually climb thru it will drop rpm's and eventually die if i don't feather the pedal.

i checked my accelerator pump travel and im at 4mm per kaddyshacks video. i also replaced the diaphragm since it felt a little stiff. i guess next is to pull the idle and main jets to see if the PO put in the wrong size?
Culito

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone have luck with the 123 ignition? Reply with quote

Not sure these will help much since the Black Box does things a bit differently, but here's my spark table and vac map. These are just the defaults - I have tweaked mine a bit here and there but this was a good starting point for me:

Note that RPM is on the vertical column, and engine load is across the top, low load on the left to high load on the right.

Note that you vac settings might change based on you elevation (I'm at about sea level).
johnnypan wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: