Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Struggling to take off
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Fully new mechanics underneath using an original 67 gearbox with reductions + a 1600cc dual port beetle engine... I have not been able to run it on the street but when I want to start driving it feels like I left the manual brake on... really feels like it is struggling to take off and need to play a lot with higher throttle/clutch to get it going. Strange thing is that in reverse it feels like normal take off. I checked the brakes and those drums are spinning freely?

The engine is untested on street use, but starts well and idles well... could poor ignition/carburation also cause an effect like this?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks!
Peter
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: struggling to take off Reply with quote

Will watch this thread closely, want to see if this becomes resolved, and sounds interesting.
The reverse is a very low gear, even first gear is much "taller", then again, you have RGB's.
My first guess would be Clutch.
Second, zero power.
IF your brakes are not dragging, then you have no HP getting to the axel.
A stock transaxle w RGB's, I don't think you can judge your reverse gear by what may come from loss of power.

Timing, fuel delivery, Compression is what I would check next. Sounds like you're on a steep hill, but really on a flat surface.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

I first gear actually maybe 3rd by missadjustment?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I first gear actually maybe 3rd by missadjustment?
NOW YOU'RE THINKING ! ! BarryL Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Khopkinsx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, 3rd gear instead of 1st.
62 DC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

easy way to test this would be to put the bus in 2nd gear. It should still take of okay in 2nd. if that puts you in 4th it will just stall.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

If it turns out not to just be a simple gear shift alignment issue, run the tuneup procedure. Pay particular attention to the ignition timing. Most recommend timing it at wide open throttle (SVDA distributor), but I got best results timing mine at idle as per the VW manual.

Also check that the throttle cable is properly adjusted and you're getting the full range of movement of the throttle lever.

Is the engine newly rebuilt (never run on the road), or just new to the vehicle? If it's a brand new rebuild; run it under load to start to seat the rings.

Mine was 'gutless' for about a mile on the first run after rebuild before I felt the power start to increase. It improved over a number of subsequent runs, but didn't pull away well (bogged) until I re-ran the tuneup procedure and re-set the ignition timing at idle.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is not a gear selection issue:-(

The engine has been running before, but long time ago. I used this one as temporary engine to get it driving. I did had an issue with the fuelpump which I changed to one I still had around... maybe first check should try an electrical one?

Ignition I had checked already and seemed to be good, but can try a spare 009 I sill have around as well?

Thanks!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
Unfortunately it is not a gear selection issue:-(

The engine has been running before, but long time ago. I used this one as temporary engine to get it driving. I did had an issue with the fuelpump which I changed to one I still had around... maybe first check should try an electrical one?

Ignition I had checked already and seemed to be good, but can try a spare 009 I sill have around as well?

Thanks!

So how to you justify the reverse is ok. Maybe when you go forward the engine is tilting and losing the ground or rubbing on a positive wire.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

can you easily push the bus forward ?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
I did had an issue with the fuelpump which I changed to one I still had around... maybe first check should try an electrical one?

Peter - Belgium wrote:

Anything you can do to check off a check list will help eliminate what-ifs.
Khopkinsx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Timing issue? Once on my single cab I lost ignition advance (I don't remember what happened) but I was utterly surprised at how gutless the engine was without the ignition advance. It idled just fine, no power on acceleration.
62 DC
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

think I tried it all now... different distributors, different carbs, electrical fuel pump, bypassed electricity and hooked directly to battery, ...

Dont find a clear improvement.

Strange is that as well sometimes in first gear it works well, then it does not. I do not find a logic? So next plan of attack is a different engine just as a test... have one which with a bit of work should be up and running so lets see!

if that makes a difference, can only be internal to the engine?!
if that is not making a difference.. then gearbox?!

to be continued!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
think I tried it all now... different distributors, different carbs, electrical fuel pump, bypassed electricity and hooked directly to battery, ...

Dont find a clear improvement.

Strange is that as well sometimes in first gear it works well, then it does not. I do not find a logic? So next plan of attack is a different engine just as a test... have one which with a bit of work should be up and running so lets see!

if that makes a difference, can only be internal to the engine?!
if that is not making a difference.. then gearbox?!

to be continued!

Sounds like a shifter-sometimes you're in 1ST, and sometimes 3rd. That is logical. Shifter slop.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

Sounds like a shifter-sometimes you're in 1ST, and sometimes 3rd. That is logical. Shifter slop.

sounds logical... but there is no slop in the shifting. All is renewed as well and shifts as it should. left forward is 1th, right forward is 3th... no slop or searching to get it into gear?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

sounds logical... but there is no slop in the shifting. All is renewed as well and shifts as it should. left forward is 1th, right forward is 3th... no slop or searching to get it into gear?[/quote]

Right, but your coupler could be slipping, the shafts moving around. The fact that "it works sometimes" makes no sense--good luck
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

Try selecting first gear using pliers and a prybar at the rear where the coupler is. Then start with the clutch depressed and see.

What is it like to take off in second gear?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Try selecting first gear using pliers and a prybar at the rear where the coupler is. Then start with the clutch depressed and see.

i suggested that above. If the engine is fine it will take of just fine in 2nd. and yes i would like to hear what happens.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
BarryL wrote:

i suggested that above. If the engine is fine it will take of just fine in 2nd. and yes i would like to hear what happens.

Totally.
mandraks wrote:
easy way to test this would be to put the bus in 2nd gear. It should still take of okay in 2nd. if that puts you in 4th it will just stall.

I just wondered if they ever tried that?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to take off Reply with quote

This is the "Twilight Zone"

His shifter is wacked, but he did say "take off"
maybe it flies?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: