Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helga - Our 71 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calocedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

What a great story and a beautiful bus. I'm just beginning down the same exact path you have followed with my 1969.

I am running the stock exhaust as well, did you notice any difference in power changing back to the original setup?
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I didn't notice any change in power when I removed the Monza 4 tip and installed the factory exhaust.

Good luck with your build!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

It was a good weekend. I received my Weber 40IDF kit on Friday, and started removing the stock system. I decided to try this without removing the engine. The only hard part was lifting the shroud/alternator up high enough to remove the alternator stand temporarily in order to remove the center intake.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Redline kit came with everything I needed, and it was a pleasant surprise that the intakes did not have to be machined to fit the VW head.

Got everything installed

Buttoned back up to take a test ride

Here is a video of early idle. Nothing has been synced yet, but the idle is so much better than the single 34pict3 carb setup.

Special thanks to RichParker who answered all my questions during the day!

Last edited by Mberglo on Mon May 17, 2021 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

The first test drive with the new Webers was underwhelming. While it clearly runs better, it wasn't any more powerful on the highway. When I got back, I decided to investigate the linkage and determine if the carbs were opening properly. I disconnected one side of linkage and opened throttle manually. This is what Wide Open Throttle looks like on the carb.

Hooked linkage back up and had my wife put the pedal to the metal. This is what my carb looked like:

I started looking at the throttle cable connection to the carb linkage. I was able to pull the cable tighter, which gave me a little more action at the carb.

After some inspection and discussion with RichParker (thanks again), I've determined that in order to get full WOT, I need to increase the travel of the cable. That has to happen at the pedal. I removed the boot which gave me a little more travel. I think the next step is to lengthen the pivot arm where the cable connects to increase the length of pull.

Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

After extending the throttle lever, I now can achieve WOT at the carb.

After I got that set, I synced the carbs and locked down the linkage. This bus runs ever so smooth and has 150% more power. Very pleased with the Webers.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Back to the interior. I bought some 1" butcher block countertop and stained with some pickling stain, and sprayed waterborne poly on it. I used the waterborne because the stain is a white, and the oil based has a yellow tint to it. Once the countertops were complete, I installed this undermount sink and the 12v water pump system. These foodgrade jugs fit just right under the sink, but was a little disappointed that I don't have any real room to add a shelf. The 3/8 hose I bought was too "curvy" and wouldnt stay at the bottom of the jug, so I added a piece of 1/4" pex to the end and now it stays submerged.

jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

wow. Amazing work and beautiful bus!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

The rear of the bus was sagging a bit, so I studied the procedure here on TheSamba, and enlisted the help of a local VW friend. We were able to level the bus and grease the rear wheel bearings, all within a few hours. My torsion bars measured to be 1.031", which according to the Bentley is for a Station Wagon. The torsion plate measured 22degrees in a relaxed state. I rotated 5 splines on the inner and -5 splines on the outer to end up at a 26degree result. Got everything buttoned back up and took Helga for a ride. Everything seemed solid, and when we got back, I measured the pinch weld to be 0degrees level.

I have some backfiring going on through the muffler on deceleration. Sounds like gunfire, and I don't want any return fire as we go through some of the larger cities. Looks like I may have an exhaust leak, so I'll look for that this evening.

5 days until we leave. It's pencils down on any large projects.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Looks good!

You are correct, backfiring on deceleration should be an exhaust leak. Sometimes those donuts just don’t seat right. I recently repaired a leak I had on the driver side donut. No biggie, it’s more annoying then anything. You do all that work and on backfire and your cursing left and right.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Our daughter wanted simple curtains so I couldn't talk her into a nice plaid design. My wife had a great idea to make the curtains out of painter's drop cloth. So we went to Harbor Freight and bought a "curtain kit" for $15. She sewed them all together, and we planted rare earth magnets along the bottom edge to stick to the metal. She made the curtain ties, and we used magnetic hooks to connect them to. I think it turned out great, and it was definitely cheap!

Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

We’re making a lot of progress in our last week of the build. I went adjust the valves and found that the stock rocker shafts had a wandering rocker arm that broke a spacer washer and an outside clip. My builder advised that I upgrade to an Empi solid shaft. I took my time and set that up, and believe it’s a much better design than original.

I changed the oil to Rotella T5 15w40.

Installed the cabinet door on the sink cabinet.

Finished repairing cracks on a different steering wheel and primed and painted it. I plan to install that tomorrow.

Today, I am meeting my uncle 250 miles away to pick up my rear seat upholstery.

Time is ticking, but I feel good about where we’re at. We head west on Saturday.

Last edited by Mberglo on Thu May 27, 2021 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

What a great tasteful transformation. Really like all the unique things and colors you've used. How far west you going?
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thank you. We’re traveling from Alabama to Arizona and back on a more Northern route to be determined on the fly!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

My future son-in-law restored a steering wheel by grinding the cracks and filling with Plasti-Fix. Sanded that down, primed, sanded, and painted with some Chassis Black. It looks and feels so much better than the old wheel.

My uncle and aunt are old streetrodders and they do upholstery. I took them the old back seat cushions and a cardboard template of the rear pad I wanted. Yesterday, we met halfway and they installed the new cushions on my plywood. That takes longer than you'd expect when you're dealing with perfectionists! Got home and installed it and am very happy with how it turned out.

Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I believe I'm finished with the build. TheSamba has been a great resource. I may not have posted a ton of questions, but believe me when I say I used the Search feature every day. My next thread will cover the trip out West. I also plan to do some videos on Youtube. Maybe if I get enough subscribers, we won't have to return home!

Before:

After:

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Great transformation! I have so many questions.

I look forward to you trip thread.

Safe travels,
Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks Rich. So many questions? I hope I have so many answers!
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Stunning transformation! Good luck to you on your trip!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic work! I would have done some things a bit differently - as a person who has traveled and camped in a VW bus for over 30 years I have learned the value of storage and been through the whole fridge thing.

I think you will find your storage lacking a lot, and the fridge takes up a lot of space, plus your spare is in the rear 'wardrobe'. I realize your cabinets are custom, but I would have built a spare tire holder behind the driver seat like the 77-79's or put the spare up on the luggage rack, and had more storage in the back cupboard. I also installed my fresh water container in a console in between the front seats which has a submersible pump that pumps fresh water to the sink, and installed a small grey water tank under the bus, which freed up all the under sink cupboards for storage. We tend to use food that is packaged or canned, so less refrigerated items. I do have a small inverter under the back seat, but it's just for lights really. I use the icebox (where your inverter is) and with a frozen plastic jug of water it stays ice cold for several days - up to a week if it's not really hot out.

You will probably discover what works and what could be improved as you travel - I know we did over many years!

Your Bus looks amazing, and I'm sure it will be a hit at the wedding! Best of luck on the trip - it looks like you did everything on the mechanical side to make it roadworthy.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks Globespotter. It's been fun designing the interior. There's certainly other ways to do it. I think this bus will be especially good for daytrips, tailgating, cruise-ins and carshows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: