Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mixing tire sizes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

Have a ‘57 Single Cab with Bus Boys rear suspension. Because of the spring plate interference with a 185x65x15 inch tire, I went with a 175X70X15 24.6 inch tall on crows foot wheels without wheel spacers. The clearance is 3/8 inch from the spring plate. All is good. My question is about the front axle dropped spindles 2.5 inch. Can I choose a bigger tire say 205X60x15 inch which is 24.7. Same height but wider tire 8.1 inch compared to 175X70X15 of 6.9inch. I know some of the buses used a smaller tire up front and a larger tire out back. I just reversing this. Would this interfere with braking of other factors I am unaware of. If it’s not doable I can use the same smaller all around. Thanks
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

the logic with having wider tires in the rear is usually for traction. On a bus this is really not a problem.

now, with having wider tires in the front you run into the possibility that your rear tires (which unload under heavy braking) lock up before the front tires do. You NEVER want that to happen, because at this point your rear tires start overtaking your front tires in a hurry.....

you ALWAYS want your front tires to lock up first.

This is the argument against running wider tires in the front. If you have a brake bias valve you can address that.

i would not do it. if you HAVE to, try emergency braking in a parking lot.....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Sounds that its not a good idea. I will put the same tires all around.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

I wouldn't even think of this idea. I do have a pair of brand new 205x65 Yoko Avid asend GT If you like. First off. how wide are those Crows? 4.5"? Really not enough for a wider tire. 5" would be ok. Is your rear an IRS? And you say you have welded spindles? 2 1/2 drop? not flipped @ 3.5"?

How much room do you have to the REAR outer lip? b/c you can move the center of the rim. I also have a pair of knock-off smoothies (4.5") that have been modified outboard 5/8".

I think I would "flip" my spindles to 3.5" , not cut and weld to 2.5".
AS far as braking, need details-disc's? dual master? < that's the first thing I would do. A "good" set of front disc's will make all the diff. & a dual master is fine w/o a regulator b/c I tried it w and w/o-I found no diff., but I also have disc's in the rear w IRS. You have to ask "what are you trying to achieve"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

Was to achieve a softer ride up front. The rear tires have 40 pounds of air. Straight axle. Flip spindles. ‘66 front beam and type 3 brakes in rear. The SCab will look stock, but lower and a 2027 engine / super diff. My first project doing this modification.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

Got it

Buy some oil KONI's, you won't regret it. It may take a couple of tries adjusting them, but the ride improves a lot. A STOCK sway bar is a good idea also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Was to achieve a softer ride up front. The rear tires have 40 pounds of air. Straight axle. Flip spindles. ‘66 front beam and type 3 brakes in rear. The SCab will look stock, but lower and a 2027 engine / super diff. My first project doing this modification.

you should be able to run a wider tire than a 185 with that rear suspension set up. i had a very similar set up except 4 lug drums with adapters and i could run a 205 on stock 15" wheels. something must not be assembled correctly. take photos of the rear set up for us. if your wanting a lowered bus with straight axle you're going to need to run a smaller diameter tire in the front.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

Wide hatch, thanks for your concern. Have my tires 4 and it seem ok going down the road.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing tire sizes Reply with quote

Well fellow Vw Samba members, As Wide hatch said a 185 tire can work. He is right. I tried a 185x70x15 tire on my Bus Boys straight axle conversion and it does fit on the rear. 3/16 inch clearance to spring plate. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: