Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera dash shelf dementions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

There has recently been some discussion on the removable dash shelf in the Riviera campers. These shelves, or cup holders, are nearly impossible to find. I was lucky enough to find the attaching bracket from a member (thanks Jon). I'm now looking to make the shelf. Does anyone have the dementions? Does anyone have any photos? My searches so far have been nonproductive.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1931 Model A truck (Model A folks are smart and handsome)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

I found this
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125585&highlight=riviera+table
try using "dimensions" in your search (did not help me much)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1941543
using your strip as a visual, make your own. Length is maybe 3 inches longer that the strip
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

The real Curly wrote:

I don't have the info you're looking for, Curly.
But, DAYUM! Your dogleg looks immaculate, as if it just rolled off the factory floor. And the interior and upholstery look great too.
How do you keep it in such pristine condition?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

The table measure 12 inches by 7 3/8 inches. It comes in handy to hold a cold beer while you're working on your door seals. Very Happy

It won't hold a beer bottle (slips through), but it will hold a red solo cup with no problem.

The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

I don't have the info you're looking for, Curly.
But, DAYUM! Your dogleg looks immaculate, as if it just rolled off the factory floor. And the interior and upholstery look great too.
How do you keep it in such pristine condition?

Thanks Kent, I was lucky to find this bus in nearly perfect condition. The outside paint was faded so its in for paint now. The interior and underside are really like new.

Thank you Lazylightning75, that is exactly what I needed. Great looking bus you have there!

LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

There's some pretty cool Riviera stuff on this webpage, including an old ASI parts catalog.

http://wetwesties.tripod.com/riviera/index.html

WARNING - it's pretty funky website and when I visited it, a pop-up ad came up and asked if me to upgrade my Media Player. I'm no computer whiz, but I shut down the browser and got out of there. For fear of computer viruses, I never download stuff or click on those links! Seems okay to just view the stuff, though.
The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

With some appreciated help from forum members I found the bracket and dementions I needed to make an exact copy of the difficult to find Riviera dash table. It started as a school desk and became a hippie desk.

LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

Very nice! You just need a vase full of flowers to complete the hippie theme now.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

I like the shop setup almost as much as the table!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
bobsurfhb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

beer bottles will fit in the vents though. Laughing
The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

An interesting follow up to this discussion. My wife discovered last night that the factory dimensions on the dash table were not by accident. It fits exactly inside the glove-box for storage.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

The real Curly wrote:

The final product looks great.
What did you use for edge banding inside the cup holder holes? That looks like it was tricky to do.

---WildIdea

The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

I experimented with some T-molding on another piece but I could not make the corners. I ended up sanding it up and doing the edge with an oil base paint. It turned out better than I could have hoped.

jrstew2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

Beautiful. I was the victim of a break-in and of all things they stole the original stool from my '78 Rivi, in which my dash table was stored. I still have the bracket but don't have the table itself.

Like you, I've been unable to find any for sale.

Your post was an inspiration. I don't have the kind of shop you do, now I have to think about how to convince you to make a second repo for me Wink
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

Late to the party but here are the dimensions for my drink holder table. My bus looks very Riviera-like but not sure. My table has the laminate on top and around the outer edge only, with the rest painted. Looks homemade. The laminate on the top overhangs the edge as shown.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

The tacks on there look like the original Riviera ones used to upholster the seats, it does look to be homemade though. I like the style of it. What Alpine headunit is that? I love the old style Alpines!
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera dash shelf dementions Reply with quote

Here is my Riviera dash shelf upgrade:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: