Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:

Maybe test compression and leakdown to rule out headgasket leak?.

AFAIK Compression and leakdown tests have nothing to do with a head gasket. If you want to
diagnose valve or ring issues than that is a different story.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
PDXSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

Hi Wesitarz,
Yes I replaced the pressure cap and even put a new one with only 13psi as the previous one (also quite new) was 16#. For some reason the "Tank" is sold with a 16psi cap. Anyway as the SVX was 13# I thought I'd try that. Did not seem to change much.

Ya I thought as well to check for a head gasket leak but if it is it's an insidious one as I've driven a good drive around town, let cool and then tested the coolant for combustion gases and nothing showed up. But again that might be that it needs the rev's and elevation. Which is what struck me about this thread in the first place. The PO was seemingly having the exact same issue, only apparent on seemingly long drives and elevation.

That's one of the reasons I asked about the air intake gasket as I had removed the air intake plenum a while ago and wondering if maybe air could be getting into the system from the gasket! As there are 2 sets on the SVX.

The second thing of note is I seemingly have a vacuum leak during acceleration as there is a loud whistle during acceleration, sometimes decel as well and usually when turning the engine off. I had visited Tom Lengyel a few months back regarding this issue and he said that he thought it was a seal on the butterfly valve causing the vacuum leak and the whistle. The same seal as discussed in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674822&start=0

I would think however that if there was a leak in to the coolant that coolant would then also leak into the air intake and combustion chamber and I would be experiencing other issues. If so those issues are there they are very slight. On listening to the engine there is maybe a small misfire from time to time and it definitely has the SVX ooomph but maybe a slight noticeable decline. Anyway hard to establish a real baseline on this. The heads were decked and new valves done about 15k miles ago.

Thanks!
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

Have you inspected the coolant lines to and from the throttle body? Maybe try bleeding over several cycles/days around town before a high rev mountain trip to make sure you have bled all the air out? Yes intake gasket leaks can cause issues. Did you replace with new ones? Good luck.
PDXSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Have you inspected the coolant lines to and from the throttle body? Maybe try bleeding over several cycles/days around town before a high rev mountain trip to make sure you have bled all the air out? Yes intake gasket leaks can cause issues. Did you replace with new ones? Good luck.

Good call! I checked the throttle body lines and the one going from coolant manifold to TB was on the tube but not secured to the nipple with the clamp! There's no coolant leak when pressured but maybe this is where there is air leak?!?! Hard to tell as it's tucked down there deep behind the air intake manifold and I cannot hear/see much. No coolant leak when running but that might be due to hot engine steaming what little might be leaking out or only doing so on long pulls up the pass! Hard to say but looks clean and doesn't smell sweet there per se. I'm going to have to find a tool to get in there to connect that clamp properly and test! Might be a red herring but I'm excited about this potential smoking gun!!! Pray

Regarding the intake gaskets I believe I did but cannot recall entirely as it was almost 2 years ago that I took the intake off and redid all of the vacuum hoses and such. I also believe that I only took off the intake manifold and not the intake towers that they sit on, so maybe the gaskets underneath are those are leaking?!?! Anyway this whole job might call for me to pull the manifold off, replace the gaskets and clamp that hose down properly!

Anyway exciting new stuff to investigate! A big thank you "wesitarz" for your comments and following this through with me so far! Applause

It won't be a couple of weeks until I can get to this but I'll post back when I do!

Cheers!
PDXSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

So I tested after securing the hose from the manifold to the TB better, checked for pressure loss and there was about 1 PSI loss over 2 minutes. Which didn't seem like a ton but was definitely loss. Anyway I took it on a trip and I still had air getting into the cooling system on trips over an hour and up hills. I took the Westy to SmallCar as they are the experts in SVX and they confirmed a leak in the engine so they're pulling off the heads and going to test them. They are also going to reverse the coolant manifold as well to shorten the coolant travel from around the engine. So that's that! Now whether it's a gasket leak or a crack in the head I have yet to find out.

Anyway a big thank you to those who offered up advice and ideas! It's great to have this forum of folks to turn to!

Cheers!
20.6N87.0W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

PDXSyncro wrote:
So I tested after securing the hose from the manifold to the TB better, checked for pressure loss and there was about 1 PSI loss over 2 minutes. Which didn't seem like a ton but was definitely loss. Anyway I took it on a trip and I still had air getting into the cooling system on trips over an hour and up hills. I took the Westy to SmallCar as they are the experts in SVX and they confirmed a leak in the engine so they're pulling off the heads and going to test them. They are also going to reverse the coolant manifold as well to shorten the coolant travel from around the engine. So that's that! Now whether it's a gasket leak or a crack in the head I have yet to find out.

Anyway a big thank you to those who offered up advice and ideas! It's great to have this forum of folks to turn to!

Cheers!

I know this thread is old but did you ever resolve your SVX overheating issue? I have exact issue

Cheers!
68kmgvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

Trying to revive this post for some help. I have a Syncro with an SVX engine that is having cooling issues. It has always been fine heat wise on relatively flat terrain but when climbing sustained steep passes it gets very hot and can over heat. I have a new Behr radiator, SS coolant lines and new thermostat. The cooling system seems to be functioning normally. I had hoped to find an upgraded all metal radiator but couldn’t find any that people had used in Vanagons. Currently thinking of trying to put in shielding on the exhaust system and/or doing something to try to increase airflow to the engine bay. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
2015 Golf TDI
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Hylaea-Outdoor-Cooling-Port...amp;sr=8-5

Add a misting loop to your radiator? Shocked
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

The cooling / overheating issue with Subaru engines in vanagons is not unique to Syncros. When i was contemplating converting my '85 westy 1.9L wbx to a 2.5L subaru engine I was aware of the heating/ cooling issue BUT I was fortunate to have as a relative neighbour, Tom Sheils. who explained the issue to me - I'm going to synthesize his wisdom and analysis below
1. The vanagon cooling system was designed to accommodate the cooling needs of a relatively inefficient 1.9 or 2.1L wbx engine. It is massively oversized to cool a relatively efficient more modern engine.
Consider : ( I'm going to use my 1.9L wbx / 2.5L suby engine in the same van for comparison purposes and I'm going to "round off" figures to make the comparison simpler)
- my van with wbx engine achieved 14-16 mpg - let's round off to 15mpg
- same van with 2.5L suby engine achieves 22-25 mpg - lets use 20 mpg to be conservative to make the point
This means that the wbx engine uses 33% more fuel (energy) to do the same work. The Law of Conservation of Energy says that ALL energy has to be accounted for. Since the fuel (energy) is not being used to do the work of propelling the van (lets assume same driving conditions , behaviour) where is it going??
The excess energy consumption of the wbx engine is going into the process of generating heat - and the vanagon heating / cooling system is appropriately sized to handle this amount of heat. BUT - if a relatively efficient suby engine is in place, turning relatively more of its fuel into motive power and less into heat, the amount of energy that the vanagon rad and cooling system can remove is far greater than the suby engine needs.
The issue then is that with the cooling system capable of removing far more heat energy than necessary for a suby engine, why do we get overheating?
We get overheating - and the only overheating that is critical - when the coolant temp of the coolant in the engine is so high that it is incapable of absorbing enough heat energy from the engine to keep it at operating temperature
How can we get those high temps when the cooling system is so oversized?
Because the thermostat - that opens and closes to regulate the flow of coolant into the engine - is not reacting to ENGINE coolant temperature but rather to the temperature of coolant that has passed through some or all of the cooling loops of the system - heaters (which are mini rads) or the rad itself. The oversized vanagon cooling system will overcool the coolant to the extent that it will be too low to cause the thermostat to open and therefore not let coolant into the engine - the coolant in the engine itself will then rapidly overheat
Given this - the solution involves ensuring that there is enough flow of engine temp coolant onto the thermostat to enable it to react to ENGINE temp, not coolant loop temperature.
Tom developed a thermostat housing / bypass that ensured that the thermostat was reacting to engine temp - you can see his cooling diagrams at
subaruvanagon.com/tom/Cooling%20System.htm
With Tom's system 4 - or 5 - and his adapter in place the engine temps of my 2.5 subied hightop never vary from a rock steady 185C
Tom knows cooling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

68kmgvert wrote:
Trying to revive this post for some help. I have a Syncro with an SVX engine that is having cooling issues. It has always been fine heat wise on relatively flat terrain but when climbing sustained steep passes it gets very hot and can over heat. I have a new Behr radiator, SS coolant lines and new thermostat. The cooling system seems to be functioning normally. I had hoped to find an upgraded all metal radiator but couldn’t find any that people had used in Vanagons. Currently thinking of trying to put in shielding on the exhaust system and/or doing something to try to increase airflow to the engine bay. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of temps are you reading? When you say overheating is it boiling out the expansion tank into the overflow tank? At 205 F roughly, the high speed radiator fan should be on. With a proper mix and a working pressure cap, you should be able to hit 250F and not boil over.
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro + Subaru Cooling Issues Reply with quote

I’m quite new to this Vanagon/Subaru thing, but I learned a little when I added a rear heater core (and so letting a bunch of air into the cooling system). The cooling system itself doesn’t overheat, the t-stat hasn’t even opened so the radiator and coolant in the lines are still cold. I suspect in my case there was air on the top side of the t-stat, so it could never sense warm coolant and never open, even though the engine was getting hot (I shut it down before it got too hot). The normal procedure is to install a small hose that bypasses the heaters and ensures coolant is always getting to the top side of the stat. I know some disagree with doing this, but I drilled 2 1/8” holes in my stat to keep coolant getting to the top of it. This seems to work. I think it does the same thing as a small bypass hose. I got this idea from some Subaru forums. Subaru’s seem to have this same issue even without adding the very long hose routing that we have, making the problem worse.
Tom Shiels mod is brilliant but he isn’t currently making them. Hopefully he will again soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: