Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to me 1975 Super Beetle project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

My '75 California-spec Super Beetle showed up today. My father-in-law had purchased this a decade ago from someone in California (original owner I think he said). The motor had been rebuilt just before then, and it looks like it had been resprayed at least once. Otherwise I don't have any history.

Overall it looks like it's in great shape. I poked around a little bit tonight and was surprised at the condition. I'll try and get it inside the garage tomorrow and up on jack stands so I can get a closer look at everything.

Since he parked it running ~5 13 years ago, I know it's due for gas draining and some new fuel lines, and of course oil changes... looks like there are some small oil leaks. We'll see how that all goes.

Looking forward to the fun!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by plextor on Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba!!!!

I will be following along on your journey here! If you have any questions, post them up and this community will get you through it!

Have fun and good luck!

BTW nice Bug!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Congratulations on a great looking Super Beetle. To be clear, this is a Viper Green SE La Grande, right? I can't see the roof well enough to see a sunroof, but I do recognize the Lemmerz Sport Wheels, SE steering wheel & rosewood dash.

Last edited by creative native on Wed May 19, 2021 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Great looking bug Cool
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

My favorite year, Super Beetle sedan. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Very nice! Only year super beetle sedan with rack and pinion steering. Make sure to change, not inspect every fuel line (and vacuum lines) before doing much! Also those are the wrong clamps and should be replaced at the same time. Sitting this long the injectors are likely stuck. Rock auto has the improved style for like only $26. each. Since you need to change hoses anyway you may want to consider them. I have them in my '75 and they work great. This fuel injection system is simple, but there's a couple things it doesn't like. Vacuum leaks of ANY kind, leaks or as in won't run with the air filter housing removed unless you block the hose into the intake boot. Also temp sensor 2 on the drivers side head needs to be functioning properly. Keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
My favorite year, Super Beetle sedan. Cool
Absolutely agree! As far as beetles in general. IMO if you take out the standard vs super and age debate out of the equation its the best year of all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
Very nice! Only year super beetle sedan with rack and pinion steering. Make sure to change, not inspect every fuel line (and vacuum lines) before doing much! Also those are the wrong clamps and should be replaced at the same time. Sitting this long the injectors are likely stuck. Rock auto has the improved style for like only $26. each. Since you need to change hoses anyway you may want to consider them. I have them in my '75 and they work great. This fuel injection system is simple, but there's a couple things it doesn't like. Vacuum leaks of ANY kind, leaks or as in won't run with the air filter housing removed unless you block the hose into the intake boot. Also temp sensor 2 on the drivers side head needs to be functioning properly. Keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask ???

great tips; thank you!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Congratulations on a great looking Super Beetle. To be clear, this is a Viper Green SE La Grande, right? I can't see the roof well enough to see a sunroof, but I do recognize the Lemmertz Sport Wheels, SE steering wheel & rosewood dash.

there is a sunroof!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

plextor wrote:
there is a sunroof!

That is great! A '75 La Grande is a rare VW, especially one in as good condition as yours. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey with your LA Grande.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Also, I have the 1975 data sheets from Garwood's books, which covers the La Grande. If you're interested, inbox me your email and I'll send them.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

That is a great looking bug. And you will love the fuel injection. Once they are tuned in, they are flawless.
Welcome to the forum.

Click to view image
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Finally spent some time with the vehicle figuring out what is up. I found that it was last run in 2008, after about 1500 miles total on the engine that was rebuilt before that.

Definitely what little gas remained has turned into varnish - you can smell it and a stick in the tank verified there is a small amount of liquid in there still. Definitely will be draining that and running some cleaner through the lines and replacing all of them.

Some leaks near the pump and filter with the consistency of sap. Ew!

The hose between the filter and pump seems bloated and softer than the rest of the fuel hoses. I assume that's not normal? (Yes planning on replacing anyway).

Front boot looks pretty clean.

Fuel filler and breather hoses could use a replacement as well - definitely leaking some smell out.

Hmm are the washer lines evap lines supposed to be hanging down like that?

Last edited by plextor on Fri May 28, 2021 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Paint overall looks great. I assume it was resprayed at least once.

The worst of the paint - some bubbling on the driver side rear. Apparently it was like this in 2008.

A small rust spot further forward on the driver side.

Passenger side inside under dash with some surface rust(?)

Driver side inside under dash

Some evidence of hood(trunk? boot? what is the front door called?) repair on the inside on the passenger side.

Outside of same area - harder to see repair but there.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Inside pretty clean overall. A little dusty but not as much as I'd expect for sitting for 13 years in a garage.

After replacing all of the old fuses, the lights work! Parking & driving lights, hazard lights, dash lights, even the little map light. I was happy to see the oil pressure and EGR lights come on as well.

Looking underneath the rear seat looks messy but semi-normal? I did immediately replace the dead dead dead old battery. I see stereo system hookups going directly to it.

I didn't look super hard, but I couldn't find any brand on this stereo faceplate or on the front of the unit. It works!

Random piece of free metal. I think this is to one of the feet on the seat latches?

Hey look! A functioning sunroof.

Some previous water stains it looks like, but not bad!

Passenger side door panel - just a little tucking in needed.

Driver side door panel needs a lot more tucking in, but pretty clean.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

[quote="plextor"]Paint overall looks great. I assume it was resprayed at least once.

The worst of the paint - some bubbling on the driver side rear. Apparently it was like this in 2008.

This rust can be a sign of a fairly major issue. Most likely caused by the "death foam" Do a search on this...its something you'll need to address and can be quite involved. The damage is usually much worse than it looks as it rusts from the inside out in this area.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Let's take a look inside the fun compartment. I see that the Fuel Injection badge
is intact but the 3rd bolt has broken off.

This air(?) hose looks pretty worn.

The preheater(?) hose to the air box was duct taped to the bottom here, so replacement needed (of all the things to duct tape fix rather than replacing with the $5 part?)

Small evidence of oil leaking over time in the compartment. I think this is the culprit. (Oil pressure sensor?)

What little oil there was cleaned up pretty easily.

Seems weird to me how the wiring here is run, but normal? I did open up the distributor and checked the top points and there was only a tiny bit of corrosion to clean.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

I did take the opportunity to turn the engine over without fuel with the starter and was happy to see the oil pressure built up and the light went out, and how well the engine turns and there was no evidence of unhappy sounds. I didn't expect anything less given its condition when parked.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

It looks like my first order of business is to clean out the fuel tank, lines, and replace the fuel filter.

Assuming the pump can produce pressure, would it be good to leave or is it smart to replace given it might have gummed up fuel inside of it? I'd assume a fuel system cleaner would do the job there.

It looks like I'll need to remove the fuel tank itself in order to get to the fuel soft line leading from it to the fuel filter?

And thinking about cleaning the whole fuel line system before trying to start up later, would y'all recommend getting the pump to stay on for a bit and little it circulate both fuel and cleaner through all the lines before working on draining the system? It seems most of the guides are for carburetor engines.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

plextor wrote:

Hmm are the washer lines supposed to be hanging down like that?

That is actually the expansion canister/fuel trap and no there's supposed to be a clip holding it up.

Check out the thread AlmostHeavenWV_VW has on evap systems Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713211

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: