Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

I have a previous thread about this Ghia and you can find it here for reference:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749284

Something important came up in my life though, and I am strongly considering selling this Ghia "as-is", and I am wondering if you all think this is a good idea. That is, do you think there is anyone out there who will buy it. It is disassembled completely, the body is off the pan and now sitting on it with just four (two front, two rear) bolts holding it, which allows the car to be transportable. The body and pan are completely media blasted inside and out, up and down, and there isn't a speck of paint or dirt anywhere. All the parts (original) are bagged, boxed, tagged, and organized for replacement once the metal work, body work, and paint are done. I also bought new Volkstory pans for it, even though the existing pans aren't really that bad.

Do you think there is anyone out there who would like to take this project on with the car in this state?

Thank you very much. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Will

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

There is a butt for every seat. Projects typically take a hit in price due to unknowns. Some will see the benefit in knowing condition of body, and it will discourage those w/o welding/repair skills.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

Figure out how much you need to get for it and post a ad in the classifieds on here and see if anyone is interested, if no response you probably need too much.
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Figure out how much you need to get for it and post a ad in the classifieds on here and see if anyone is interested, if no response you probably need too much.

Thank you @Starbucket. I created this thread just to run the idea by everyone to see what they thought. You're right, it is the appropriate thing to do, run an ad, and I will do so.

And @c21darrel, the thing about this car is there are no unknowns. Everything is out in the open. And I have fully photographed every part of the car. Yes, someone will have to have welding skills or find someone who does, but those people are out there. I don't think people should be discouraged by that. It's kind of like buying a home that needs to be remodeled, and all the demo is done, so the house is in a demo-ed and clean state. Now the new buyer can do their remodel to their taste, and not purchase someone else's remodel. That's kind of how i look at it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

will t wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Thank you @Starbucket. I created this thread just to run the idea by everyone to see what they thought. You're right, it is the appropriate thing to do, run an ad, and I will do so.

And @c21darrel, the thing about this car is there are no unknowns. Everything is out in the open. And I have fully photographed every part of the car. Yes, someone will have to have welding skills or find someone who does, but those people are out there. I don't think people should be discouraged by that. It's kind of like buying a home that needs to be remodeled, and all the demo is done, so the house is in a demo-ed and clean state. Now the new buyer can do their remodel to their taste, and not purchase someone else's remodel. That's kind of how i look at it.

I get that and you have posted tons of pics that show the condition 100%.
Sometimes you dont want them to know... Surprised
By "unknowns" ...I dont know how much it will cost to buy and weld in the rust repair metal. $3K?, $5K? $10K? How much is paint$?? Assembly? ...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
will t wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I get that and you have posted tons of pics that show the condition 100%.
Sometimes you dont want them to know... Surprised
By "unknowns" ...I dont know how much it will cost to buy and weld in the rust repair metal. $3K?, $5K? $10K? How much is paint$?? Assembly? ...

To be sure, the metal work could cost some money, as could the body and paint work that follow. However, I have a feeling that there are many people out there who posses those skills and do this sort of thing as a hobby. At least that's the impression I get reading the numerous threads of truly incredible builds. And assembly I think the same thing; there are plenty of people who enjoy doing it and know how to do it really well.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Please, your thoughts on my idea for my 67 Ghia Reply with quote

- The Ad is free so nothing to lose there.
- Sell it and break-even = WIN
- Sell it and make a profit = BIG WIN but unlikely
- Sell it and only lose a little, but alleviate the burden it poses = WIN
- List it but no offers that lead to a win = rethink your options
- Put it in storage and revisit at a later date = only you can answer that one

If you can assemble it enough to ship it with all the boxed bits and parts packed inside the car, you may find an overseas buyer and reach a reasonable selling price.

good luck, I hope everything works out in your favor.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: