Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

G pins 1989 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: G pins 1989 Vanagon Reply with quote

I have my G single connectors full behind the fuse block and I seem to have lost power to the items/gadgets running off these connectors I have a dash pod and fog lights as well as stereo and uhf. Uhf and Stereo are working dash pod and fog lights aren't working. My fan to the heater stopped working as well. seems power is going into the board where the P connectors are. All items from the P single connectors are working and I am clueless why the power from these single pins have lost power can anyone tell me where the power is sourced from and how it travels across the fuseblock to these single connectors in the P cluster. The G single connectors that are giving me trouble are the ones with power 24/7 I would appreciate some help.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: G pins 1989 Vanagon Reply with quote

Do you have the factory manual? If so the wiring diagrams will show you the paths. Looking at a diagram, the top of the page represents the fuse box. Just follow the tracks.
kombivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: G pins 1989 Vanagon Reply with quote

The drawings don't show the pin - connector tracks as their extras not a complete circuit. I got my pod working and my wipers, now the battery terminal on the left at the back sparks when I test light it. That doen't make any sense to me and my fog lights are dead - just about to rewire the fog lights as panel beater altered them a bit when in his shop so I have to have a good look make sure they didn't alter anything else. electrical issues started a month ago when I got the van home after the radiator compartment was done. Looks like a half done job.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: G pins 1989 Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm looking at page 97.19 for a reference to the fusebox. They show G as a single connector unlike "P". Starting on page 97.122 You can see the "P" connectors are all tied to terminal 30 and the battery positive terminal.

Looking at 97.124 I see G6 which is vacant and tied to D1 and A4 both vacant in the fuse box. On 97.125 I see G4 vacant, but tied to D4 vacant and A16 jumps to pin B1 on the next page. C2 is also connected to G4 in the fusebox.

On page 97.129 I see G7 vacant G8 G9. So, to be honest I don't know what you are really asking, but thought to take the time to post back. Sparks are not good.
kombivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: G pins 1989 Vanagon Reply with quote

Thank you for that ward 360. I was fixing things then other things would go wrong. I eventually found the problem from years of the fuse box being removed and changing things some of the wire connectors had become loose some very loose so I went through and clamped some connectors so they would fit tighter and others that were short on length, I added extensions to with new connectors and now I have everything working correctly. Took me quiet a few days, under the dash and all over the place going through each item that was playing up. The only reason it started playing up was that I tied some of the wires back so I could close the glove box properly. I did not expect the pull ties would pull the wires on the back of the fuse block, as I wasn't really close to it. Thank you once again for going to those lengths I am going to print out your find and keep it in my Manual. I might even make an alterations manual to remind me what i did for when I get under there later as I have a few wiring mods modest ones. Fog lights and cooling fan bypass switch and a regulator for the dual batt system, stereo and uhf a Dash pod with volt meter and some battery chargers are hard wired in for dual batt, camersa, phone, fridge, kitchen cabinet so it can get a bit confusing I even have a marine battery switch that the fridge runs through so I can selectively chose which batt runs fridge. Then there is the navman and camera so in another 5 years I will be scratching my head thinking where do all these wires go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: