Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp cam checking video
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: 36hp cam checking video Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is the video I promised in esde's thread which I don't want to hijack.

As seen, I'm attempting to verify I have adequate clearance between the valve tip and rocker arm, which I've admittedly struggled with. Please have a look and let me know if you see any problem(s).

Apologies in advance for the very shaky video, with poor lighting and the pesky strap of my camera at times dangling in front of the screen.

Ted

Link
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp cam checking video Reply with quote

What distributor are you running? the factory stock vac/svda/dvda distributors rotor point towards the pulley (5 oclock) as yours does in the vid for #1.

However, when using a 009 dizzy - Number 1 is 90 degrees CCW from stock, and under the carb flange (1 o clock) becasue the drive cog is clocked 90 degrees.

check and see what other cylinders/valves are at tdc (will rock). My guess is number 4 is.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp cam checking video Reply with quote

Depending on how you installed the distributor gear, you may be on number three. When you on on number one , number three vales should move up and down if you move the crank pulley back and forth right to left.
'63 OG 117
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp cam checking video Reply with quote

As far as improperly installing the distributor, wouldn't the fact that the keyway on the crank is pointing to the left and exactly centered when I have the #1 at TDC with the distributor rotor pointing to number one position prove that the distributor and distributor drive shaft are installed correctly?

As far as my original issue of not having enough valve clearance when at TDC, I have checked and rechecked and I have just barely enough adjustability (ie a thread or 2 on the adjustment screw sticks out) on all cylinders/valves EXCEPT #2 exhaust. I tried to look at the #2 exhaust rocker arm itself and didn't see any damage/bending, and even swapped it out with #2 intake, but still didn't have enough clearance to slip an .004" feeler gage between the rocker and valve tip with #2 at TDC and no adjusting screw.

There is a bit of in and out wiggle in the #2E rocker, but it is not enough to get the feeler gage through. Its like the tip of the valve stem moves inside the opening of the rocker arm but won't move away from it enough to get the feeler gage in . I did not swap the #2 exhaust pushrod which is part of a brand new set of 36hp pushrods purchased from CIP1, and am wondering if that pushrod is just slightly too long due to poor QC. I suppose the #2E valve could also be slightly longer than the others.

Btw #4 exhaust, which shares the same cam lobe as #2 exhaust has that minimal, but still barely adequate clearance, so it isn't a defect or burr on the cam lobe.

I did grind about .025 off the head of the #2 exhaust rocker (was .545", now .522" wide) and will reinstall and see if it now lets me slip the feeler gage through.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp cam checking video Reply with quote

"Gentle" persuasion with a 3/8" 60 degree counterbore in a 2500 rpm drill removed absolutely no material from the rocker head so I switched to my 13500 rpm grinder with a disc wheel and removed just enough material to where I got the .004" valve clearance and a couple threads showing on the adjustment screw.

I will double check all clearances once more but then hopefully will be ready to set this engine on the floor, verify the .005" endplay I saw before, give everything one final snug and a tub, fill with oil then crank for oil pressure.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp cam checking video Reply with quote

I believe too that the #2 exhaust valve was not fully seated. I tapped on it and the other 3 valves on the right side of the engine and then placed a straight edge across the valves. The straight edge rested firmly on all 4 valve tips.

I've got the rocker assembly back on and have all valves set at the proper .004" clearance. I'm moving on to end-play recheck, final torque, cranking for oil pressure then test fire.

Hope my "fumbly" experience will help someone else building a repro-Okrasa engine.

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: