Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice quality drums . . NOT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Admin note:
Political-ish comments were removed as it was starting to derail the thread from the actual subject
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

It’s fine if the op wants to post the manufacture of the drum, and where they got it from. The issue is, unless we are buying NOS VW drums, we’re all at the mercy of the past of a used drum/quality of an aftermarket one.

How long was the drum on the car? Is the wheel that it was used on perfectly straight/round, and balanced to zero? How old are the tires? Are the tires perfectly round in circumference? It doesn’t take much for something a tiny bit off to cause a tiny issue that compounds into a larger one. Not sure if you have a yearly state safety inspection, but when’s the last time you looked over the entire mechanicals of the car? Like mukluk mentioned, there was already corrosion in the cracks of the broken sections, so it had been cracked at least a couple of weeks to a month.

I dispose of dozens of sets of fully threaded tires at work that are on fair weather classic cars that are no longer round, or are starting to crack from age. What issues in our hobby have nothing to do with quality of parts, but the 180 degree change of having a 60’s Beetle that gets driven 1k miles yearly instead of 15k miles like it may have been in the early 70’s?

And as for AAA... The last tow on a customer’s car I needed around this time last year took an hour to get to me, and a half hour to get home. Something else to think about is the call frequency in your area. Needing a jump start, or gas in a vehicle after your area just got a foot of snow is going to have you waiting awhile from all of the idiots needing towed that can’t drive in snow. Needing a tow during Friday rush hour on Memorial Day weekend isn’t going to get to you anytime soon. Those hating it so much, cancel it. Just be sure you have a friend with a truck/car trailer on standby. You could always make sure your break down is in a dry, well lit, safe/secure place to leave your car while you can get the part to then repair it on the spot to get you home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It’s fine if the op wants to post the manufacture of the drum, and where they got it from. The issue is, unless we are buying NOS VW drums, we’re all at the mercy of the past of a used drum/quality of an aftermarket one.

How long was the drum on the car? Is the wheel that it was used on perfectly straight/round, and balanced to zero? How old are the tires? Are the tires perfectly round in circumference? It doesn’t take much for something a tiny bit off to cause a tiny issue that compounds into a larger one. Not sure if you have a yearly state safety inspection, but when’s the last time you looked over the entire mechanicals of the car? Like mukluk mentioned, there was already corrosion in the cracks of the broken sections, so it had been cracked at least a couple of weeks to a month.

I dispose of dozens of sets of fully threaded tires at work that are on fair weather classic cars that are no longer round, or are starting to crack from age. What issues in our hobby have nothing to do with quality of parts, but the 180 degree change of having a 60’s Beetle that gets driven 1k miles yearly instead of 15k miles like it may have been in the early 70’s?

And as for AAA... The last tow on a customer’s car I needed around this time last year took an hour to get to me, and a half hour to get home. Something else to think about is the call frequency in your area. Needing a jump start, or gas in a vehicle after your area just got a foot of snow is going to have you waiting awhile from all of the idiots needing towed that can’t drive in snow. Needing a tow during Friday rush hour on Memorial Day weekend isn’t going to get to you anytime soon. Those hating it so much, cancel it. Just be sure you have a friend with a truck/car trailer on standby. You could always make sure your break down is in a dry, well lit, safe/secure place to leave your car while you can get the part to then repair it on the spot to get you home.

I'll go along with the first two line you wrote.

After that you're assuming quite a bit aren't you?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
I'll go along with the first two line you wrote.

After that you're assuming quite a bit aren't you?

If it’s genuinely a defect in an aftermarket part, post the manufacturer as a “look what happened to me, it could happen to you” heads up.

While I’ve seen an odd defect in a part, the majority of failures I’ve come across in the last 18 years are usually caused by something else. So no, not really assuming from my experience.

Assuming would be simply installing another drum without checking anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

There are pics of broken brazilian rear drums in the gallery. Same as this one
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Ive seen issues with brazilian drums since at least 2005. The 63-67 bus drums seemed to suffer more failures, im guessing from the added weight and torque at the hub from the reduction box.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Since you were already using a spacer....you might try
Some of these "German made5 lug adapter drums" (modified 1960 bus drum)
Which are currently for sale.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

No markings on this drum anywhere, any one wanna guess.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was fortunate enough that no other damage was done.
Everything else looks ok.
I'll take it apart and clean it all up to make sure.

And just for the record I don't drive around with old unbalanced tires on bent rims, and I do drive this bug a lot.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Use an impact gun.
and try to kill the trans while your at it......breaker bar and long pipe. looks like typickel CiPee down your leg .com drums....yes it's a good think you were going slow. be sure the rim isant effed up too.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Use an impact gun.
and try to kill the trans while your at it......breaker bar and long pipe. looks like typickel CiPee down your leg .com drums....yes it's a good think you were going slow. be sure the rim isant effed up too.

Yeah that's what I did, pipe wrench and a breaker bar, no problem.

Got a nice souvenir for the failure shelf. . . LOL

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Wow, congrats on getting it off. I hope you can find a good source for quality drums.

I see you have some leakage back there that needs to be addressed...and it must be my eyes, I can't really tell, but it sorta looks like the adjuster screws are wrong-way-round?
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Also seen this on a lot of F Vees with the Italian drums. We now use smooth OG drums or there is a company in Indy ICP making new drums.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
Also seen this on a lot of F Vees with the Italian drums. We now use smooth OG drums or there is a company in Indy ICP making new drums.

This,
https://icpcitation.com/partsfv.htm

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

This,

Anyone know how much those cost?
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Broken aftermarket drums have been an issue in off roading for a long time, especially the class 9 guys whom a lot of still run wide 5. Many will only run original german drums off road.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

This,

Good question, I couldn't find it on the sight either.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

This,

Good question, I couldn't find it on the sight either.

Call and ask what they cost!
Bob Lybarger Racing
4414 W. HiPoint Road
McHenry,IL 60050

Tel: (815) 363-8560

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Link is no longer any good as Lybarger died a few years ago. But, I do have a contact through another forum and found that the ICP drums are $150 each plus shipping.

email is [email protected]
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Fuck that’s a no-brainer. I wonder if they make Type 3 size.

Also I didn’t know the prodigy domain still existed! Shocked
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Folts makes a billet insert for the drum so the class 9 guys stay legal. Call and ask him. 9099235970.

K in can post some pictures tomorrow if your interested.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: