Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NRAgunnut1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

My Beetle currently has a Brazilian made engine which I believe is 1300cc. It’s top speed is maybe 70 to 75 mph. I would like to put a bigger engine in it because with the one I currently have I cannot drive on the highway and just have to stay in town. To my understanding the later model VW buses (70s) had a bigger engine and from the research I’ve done it should just be a drop in (direct fit) replacement with no modifications made. I’m still pretty new to air cooled VW’s but I would like to make my Beetle have a top speed of at least 90 mph so I can take slightly longer trips.

Replacing my engine on the bus engine was the first thing to come to mind I would like to still keep it somewhat original without breaking the bank too much what what would yall recommend? Thank you in advance!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

How fast can you afford?

Type 2s had basically a Beetle engine in them to 1972 when they went to the Type 4 engine. That being said, you can fit a T4 engine in but it's not a straight bolt up. A late model 1600 T1 engine is a stock upgrade. From there you can go to a 1776 or then to a stroker 2110 and larger.

It just depends on your budget

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NRAgunnut1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

I wouldn’t want to spend more than a grand, but if I needed to i would. like I said I’m not trying to make my Beetle beat a Z06 on a 1/4 mile, I’m just trying to drive comfortably at 80 and more if needed on the highway to the beach or something.
NRAgunnut1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

One thing I should’ve mentioned earlier, is what do y’all think of the Mexican Beetles say from the 90s? I’ve heard those engines are very desirable because their fuel injected and a few other things. I live very close to the Mexican border so I might be able to get ahold of one very easily, would just like y’all’s thoughts.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

NRAgunnut1993 wrote:
I wouldn’t want to spend more than a grand

For $1000, you can't buy a rebuild stock 1600 longblock. you'll need to triple your budget.

I suggest looking for a used engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NRAgunnut1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

I planned to go used in the first place, and if I need to make some modifications like rebuild the carburetor or replace some other parts I will. I’d prefer to do the work myself and save money. So it could be an old dirty engine for all I care
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

90 mph in an otherwise stock Beetle doesn't sound like a fun or safe driving experience!

But for better acceleration and easier trek to freeway speeds, a stock dual port 1600 will do wonders. They are so common they are the most affordable way to increase power from your single port 1300.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be a good engine swap for my 66 Beetle? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whatever you do don’t drive a VW fast. Using the words right out of the owners manual I quote. “ Your new VW can be driven at full speed, cruising speed is full speed”

I’m running pretty much stock 74 bug 😀 I like driving it at speed, it feels good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: