Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

June '68 Manx Period Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra photos Nelson!

Got a little more work done today. The roll bar is finally in! And I started working on my tin in anticipation of the motor being completed soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Is that 6v?

What are your rear tires?
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Is that 6v?

Yes 6v. My vision is a kid in the summer of '68 just bought a kit from Bruce. He went to the local junkyard for a wrecked early '60s car, threw off the body and put his new Manx kit on top. Still 6v 40hp, but he added a little power with the Manxpower kit.

BL3Manx wrote:
What are your rear tires?

The rears are 15" STA Super Traxions. They are my driver tires. I do have these for a more original look though. They are going on last...kind of the finishing touch.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Well my Dune Buggy Brothers wiring harness came in today. I would highly recommend it. Like a kid at Christmas, I immediately started putting it in. The harness was the first piece in the puzzle to get this thing looking like a buggy at last.

Once that was in place I was able to get the hood and windshield on. I forgot that the dash frame needs some bending so I fought with that for a bit to make it work.

Then got the headlights on so it looks like a real buggy!

I am really liking how it is turning out. I still have a bit of small stuff to get squared away before the motor is done. I am hoping to have it driving in a month or less, just in time for summer!

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
Still 6v 40hp, but he added a little power with the Manxpower kit.

You should use a 200mm 6v flywheel, They were used on some transporters. The stock 180mm clutch would be marginal.

You should also use a starter relay
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Looking great, very inspirational. I also believe that the 6V 200mm flywheel came in early Type 3's
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
calebmelvin wrote:
Still 6v 40hp, but he added a little power with the Manxpower kit.

You should use a 200mm 6v flywheel, They were used on some transporters. The stock 180mm clutch would be marginal.

You should also use a starter relay

squareweave wrote:
Looking great, very inspirational. I also believe that the 6V 200mm flywheel came in early Type 3's

Thanks guys! That is a great idea, I'll look for one!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

I started prepping the top this weekend. I needed to put some glue to tack a few areas of the trim (hence the tape).

I also fitted the seal for the gas filler on the hood. It is fun to start on the small details.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

So the first of my fun period finds are these correct "bell shaped" Manx wheels. They have an interesting history. They came off of the great VW pioneer Lee Leighton's drag Manx. The buggy is still in the family (with a more road worthy set of wheels and tires) but I was able to secure these beauties for my build.

I also got a set of NOS Gates for the rears. I had the wheels powder coated to match my fronts and will be putting them on for shows and whatnot.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Very cool.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

A little more work today! Still hooking up wires but getting close to done there.

Did get the steering column mounted along with a NOS signal switch, and my restored Koch steering wheel on. Also put on some other goodies. NOS Delswift was mounted, along with my spare tire bracket and CB antenna. I love these small details.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

A couple more period details I am working on now. I have a set of OG Manx valve covers that are going to go on the Manxpower motor as soon as it is ready. Also found a Shoemaker Pretzel exhaust that I am going to use as a template to make a reproduction. Can't wait!

Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

So very well done and all the right pieces to really make it something special.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

What an inspiration. I could only hope my build comes out so well. It won't be as fast, rest assured.

Very well done Sir.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

So......

Life is fun isn't it? I've had some family stuff going on, along with working crazy hours, and haven't been able to touch the buggy in a while. I was really feeling like it wasn't going to get done this year.

But a couple friends of mine volunteered to help get the final items (the seats and engine) put in and get it on the road. They picked up the buggy from my house last week and took it to Cameron's shop, which is amazing. He and Josh got to work on the seats first.

They immediately ran into problems. The pans were good, but those funky seat mounts that the first owner put in were problematic. They started to try to make it work but threw in the towel and sent me this photo with the caption "sorry". Shocked

They pulled the body off and realized that the easiest way to make it work is to replace those pans completely. They were a bit funky and they had a new set of WW pans in the shop, so next thing I know they were sending me these photos.

In a two day period they got them done. It was insane!

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Next up was getting the motor in. I built a Manxpower stage II from a very nice cam bearing 40hp case. It was built by John at Morris Race Engines. They used the Shoemaker Pretzel exhaust I found as a template to create a replica. I think it turned out very well and sounds amazing!

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

You, Sir, have some very handy friends.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
You, Sir, have some very handy friends.

I know right? Cameron owns Volksfab here so he knows his way around this stuff. I was very impressed with what they did in a week!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Next they worked on the seats. Since we now had some stock seat tracks, they decided to use a set of stock seats and cut down the frames to make them look correct. Using this photo as inspiration, they sourced some period correct vinyl and made these custom covers. I am super excited about them!

parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Amazing work again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: