Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
I mentioned that to Casey when I was dropping off two reman 6v starters to have inspected that I hear you can run 12v through them without much problem? He kinda frowned and said yeah, but if your gonna do that I would put a 12v solenoid on the starter.

Running 6 volt starter solenoid on 12 volts results in the starter gear pounding the heck out of the flywheel starter gear. Been running 6 volt starter on 12 volts for years that way and several hundreds of thousands of miles. Just do remember to check for wear and grease or just replace the front bushing in the starter, when you are replacing the starter bushing in the transaxle.

Very good to know! Thank you.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This makes me wish I had taken your approach when I dealt with my under carriage. Less work than sand blasting and respraying and far far nicer results that will wear nicer.

Ill remember this for the next under carriage one day, its only OG once.

Thanks, these spindles had me second guessing it for a bit. There is a few spots of bare metal and I’d like to see a coating of rust over that. I suppose it will set in if it wants to. Once I scrubbed gear oil on with a brush and whipped it off with a rag, I think they look a lot better. Needs a bit more work.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

Thanks, these spindles had me second guessing it for a bit. There is a few spots of bare metal and I’d like to see a coating of rust over that. I suppose it will set in if it wants to. Once I scrubbed gear oil on with a brush and whipped it off with a rag, I think they look a lot better. Needs a bit more work.

if you grease them as often as they are supposed to be greased, and if you check your king pins as often as you are supposed to, rust on these parts will never be a problem.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I keep a can of this stuff around for aluminum and steel part protection:

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B08WLG978K

Very good stuff. Spray it on and let it soak in real good and dry. Wipe off any excess. I use it on everything.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

if you grease them as often as they are supposed to be greased, and if you check your king pins as often as you are supposed to, rust on these parts will never be a problem.

Thank you, this is what I was thinking as well!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
I keep a can of this stuff around for aluminum and steel part protection:

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B08WLG978K

Very good stuff. Spray it on and let it soak in real good and dry. Wipe off any excess. I use it on everything.

I love it when someone recommends a product! One of the reasons I hang out here. Thank you!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I had an awesome session today finally having the parts and time to instal the fuel tank. I've been staging parts and working towards this day for quite some time.

First, it was realizing the old tank wasn't gonna be saved and researching a replacement, then waiting for one to be in stock from WW. This turned out to be worth the wait as I have outline in a previous post. It is a very accurate replacement in both stamping and filler neck dimensions/angle as well as the color is really close to OG. Then it was realizing I should go ahead and add the fuel sender and waiting for that order to arrive. The reserve valve was refreshed and the lower tank seal and felts were saved. Lets not forget the fair amount of time invested in the compartment cleaning etc. This all added up to an enjoyable couple of hours bolting it all up.

I puttered with the fuel sender and its seal then decided to add the ground wire now despite there being plenty of room to add it later. Oh, the fuel sender safety pin is hiding under the sticker reminding you to remove the safety pin!!

I was looking around the situation and noticed I still needed to blow out the fuel overflow tube. That put out a ton of dirt and I had to spend a few cleaning up that mess. I was able to clean and save the original lower fuel tank seal and had that tacked in with a bead of clear silicone a while back.

For the 8 felts, I scuffed up the tank paint with a fresh scotch bright pad and used hot glue to adhere them to the tank. This worked well.

I was all set to put it in and wondering how the filler neck would look in the cap area. I've seen some aftermarket tanks have poor alignment here. I just had to put it in and see I guess. This stumped me at first. The tank was hanging up here and there and I didn't want to scratch it up. I stepped back for a few min, fiddled with the straps and it went in on my second effort with a little push. Once it was in its nest I went to look at the filler neck. I was stoked with what I saw. Perfect centering!!

I tightened down the straps about 80% and went for the neck seal. That wasn't too hard. Some back and fourth in and out the compartment with a small pick to flick the seal lip in place. Then the cap with its new seal and a final strap tightening. So satisfying. Cool

At this point, I'm on a roll and go for the fuel valve install. I tinkered with this toy for weeks once, and gleefully sourced it from my stash. That and my 22mm wrench I've had decades I only ever used for this.

It goes on pretty easy and I orientate the piece in line with its operating cable. The cable is pretty stiff but functions properly. I need to lubricate it and will investigate that more as I spend more time up front.

Why stop there? I had one of the 6v starters picked up from the battery shop a few weeks ago after they went through it. The decision has been made to run 6v throughout and got it off the shelf. Looks great in there.

As I went through these steps, my spindles were being final detailed in preparation for a trip to CA. My goal for tomorrow is to get them boxed up and mailed. That will top off a solid weekend effort.

Overall, I would recommend the WW fuel tank for fit and finish. Its a bargain. The fuel sender and gauge (not pictured) will be welcome down the road. Thanks for checking it out!!

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Good morning friends! Figured I could type up some progress while I drink some coffee...I drug my taillights over the finish line during my work week at the shop. When I get a gap in the day it's nice to have something to tinker on, in this case, it was cleaning up the inside off the tail light buckets. They were sandblasted some time ago and had some rust pitting. They needed some paint still and just hanging out on my desk at home yacking at me every time I walked by.... It was perfect, because it only took a min to advance the steps and get back to work....

First was to put the first layer of skim coat inside. I agreed with Brian it looks like toothpaste. Then a quick sand job at the end of the day. I'm always hopeful I will only need one application, but I usually realize it needs another. I repeat.

A blast of primer and then enamel Rustolium. I went with white. I believe it was cdennisg that said white was the most reflective, and since it is clearly repainted, and or could still be repainted with chrome paint I took the advice for brightest.

I had the parts all staged up and gleefully installed them late one night. I haven't got after the outside body finish much at all but I went around the tail light openings with a quick swipe of TR-3. I was pretty stoked with the look. The ash white primer darkens up a shade or two that is really attractive IMO. So dry, feels like shark skin and really soaks up the conditioner. More of that to come down the road, but I'm not touching it more until much later.

Basically, I like having one less box of parts off the shelf and on the bus where they belong. I like banking them here and removing the possibility of them getting lost or misplaced. That, and it's really distracting to me to have the shop cluttered with everything laying all over the place. As an area gets parts exploded I like to tie it back together before taking on another area. At this point, besides the bumpers and engine in the corner, I literally only have the rear cargo door panel under the bus and the front wheels and spindles off. The spindles are shipped so they're out of the equation for now. I'm all set to start disassembling more up front without mixing it with anything else in the shop bay.

I'll add the ground wire in the future. I have the one missing lens replaced with a beautiful mint state one. I'm running the cracked one the bus had when I got her, looks more authentic!! Unless I bump into a finer one, I won't be chasing a replacement for now.

I'm officially onto the front for now! Thanks Bendango for the 3D printing programing, Doug for printing the part, Holy Grail for the lens, Kevin for the sand blast booth, WW for the seals, JonL for posting the virtues of oxalic acid that cleaned up the chrome ring rust stains and all the others for the free advice. What is the 5-6 people just for the tails? I love it!!! Thanks for looking!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

It was probably me that recommended white for the tail light innards, as I have done it myself a few times. It works well. Not as good as fresh shiny chrome, probably. But well enough to make them bright.

Looking good here. Keep up the great work.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Whenever I do taillights I always use Spaz Stix 10009 Ultimate Mirror Chrome. Has to go over a gloss black base. Ends up being very reflective, I’d say better than any other chrome paint you can find. Not sure if others use that for taillights but I’ve been doing it for a few years now and absolutely love it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
Whenever I do taillights I always use Spaz Stix 10009 Ultimate Mirror Chrome. Has to go over a gloss black base. Ends up being very reflective, I’d say better than any other chrome paint you can find. Not sure if others use that for taillights but I’ve been doing it for a few years now and absolutely love it.

Have not heard of that one. Might have to try it next time around.

https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products/spaz-stix-ul...gL9XvD_BwE
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:

Have not heard of that one. Might have to try it next time around.

https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products/spaz-stix-ul...gL9XvD_BwE

That’s the stuff, works really really well! Multiple very light dust coats of it over a gloss black base will result in a mirror finish. They recommend their clear coat over the top but I’ve found that dulls the finish.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

be careful putting thread tape here..this junction seals by the small gasket, not by the threads themselves. That tape can sometimes prevent proper torque to get the gasket to seal. If anything, use a tiny bit of anti-seize to keep the dissimilar metals from corroding together.

WildIdea wrote:

just another option here.. I have use aluminum foil tape in the past to fix up these housings. Carefully cut pieces that fit in their nicely, and then you can actually polish the aluminum, very reflective!

also, those are later dealer-replacement lenses, not what your bus would have had when it left Germany. So, if you're going to look for better lenses down the road, look for the correct SRBL17 lenses. Very Happy

WildIdea wrote:

Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Great to see those lenses go in. Which side has the 3D printed part?

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:
be careful putting thread tape here..this junction seals by the small gasket, not by the threads themselves. That tape can sometimes prevent proper torque to get the gasket to seal. If anything, use a tiny bit of anti-seize to keep the dissimilar metals from corroding together.

just another option here.. I have use aluminum foil tape in the past to fix up these housings. Carefully cut pieces that fit in their nicely, and then you can actually polish the aluminum, very reflective!

also, those are later dealer-replacement lenses, not what your bus would have had when it left Germany. So, if you're going to look for better lenses down the road, look for the correct SRBL17 lenses. Very Happy

Thanks sled!

The fuel reserve valve is regular old gear head stuff, I should know better. I was thinking something in there would be good, but I see what your saying and it make sense. I'll get the tape out of there...

Although this bus's overall condition is for the most part is unmolested, shame on me for assuming any parts on it are original. As far as the lenses go, I was using the serial on the one I had thinking this was the one I needed to get to be original. Shows you what I know.

I'm trying to get through my freshman year in early(er) bus studies/ emphasis in light touch preservation with a passing grade! So much to learn in this regard. The details like this are really interesting and important to me. Thanks for throwing any data my way, I gobble it up. I'll write down the lens serial # in my notes.

Last edited by WildIdea on Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:

I can't tell visually, they are indistinguishable from each other. The passenger side is printed. Cool
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I have a bit of an issue up from with my steering box slathered in caked oil and was looking to remove the steering box and column to the bench for some service.

In conversation, my buddy Mark offered to make me a steering wheel puller and I took him up on the offer. Back when I was doing my ‘65s front floor, I was somewhat stumped on the steering wheel removal and realized how important a proper puller was for the job. I used a HF two prong puller with success, but I did chip some of the resin in the edge when it pinged off and wasn’t about to do any needless harm to my black wheel on this ‘60.

My original white ‘65 wheel was what I deemed a bit beyond repair and I opted to buying a recast from Koch’s. They delivered and amazing new wheel that is a joy to hold while driving. They had an offer to send in a core for a discount, but chose to keep my OG wheel if even as a wall hanger. I’m glad I did and had it handy to drop off at my buddies shop for measurements to work off of.

I got a call the next day and was stoked to see his son had engraved a split bus on it for some flair!

I had a morning free and needed the daylight to see the horn butting wire enough to remove. The eyes need the readers and good light! The puller clears the blinker cancel exactly and with a few twists the wheel pops off. Almost too easy....

I took a min and just sat in there and looked out the front windows imagining what this will be like to drive. It’s gonna be so cool. I just like hanging out around it and wasn’t in a hurry to get out of the cab.

I did get one chip of resin to fall off, which was quickly glued back in. The wheel is on my craft beach in the basement in line for some restoration there. The wheel overall in sturdy.

Looking to remove the steering column this upcoming weekend. I always like moving the chains during the week when I can, even it only little bits.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea your killing it, but I think this is the money shot!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Bendango wrote:

I can't tell visually, they are indistinguishable from each other. The passenger side is printed. Cool

Dam that’s what I thought! - That means there is room for improvement, I’ll have to make that outer edge radius a hair larger. Razz Razz Razz

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:

WildIdea your killing it, but I think this is the money shot!

Thanks German Krew! I think the picture is pretty cool too! Thanks for checking in!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 32

Jump to: