Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Condenser shopping
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble nailing down the correct replacement for this condenser. Is it Bosch 02007?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

That's an odd number, but looks like a 02 007.

What the distributor part number?

The distributor looks pretty crusty.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That's an odd number, but looks like a 02 007.

What the distributor part number?

The distributor looks pretty crusty.

Yeah could definitely use some shinning up. But not bad inside :
It's a Bosch replacement bought from Aircooled.net years ago.
Looks like the PN is 0231170034

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Correct condenser is 02 074.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Correct condenser is 02 074.

That's what I came up with also and accounts for my head spinning.
The one that is on it has a round grommet and the 074 shows in the pics I looked at as being rectangle in shape.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Weird, 0231 170 034 should have a square hole.

Then get a 02 054, it has a round insulator.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Glenn.The wild world of condensers.
I hope I get a good one, I've read some not so bueno reviews on the Bosch replacements these days.

MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
I hope I get a good one, I've read some not so bueno reviews on the Bosch replacements these days.

I'll give you two more bad reviews. Last fall I had two go bad in a span of about 250 or so miles. Switched to standard motor products and had no more issues. But...this spring decided to go Pertronix and won't go back. I just keep a loaded points dizzy in the travel parts box in case.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Have you seen this condenser?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2241678

02/76 Beetle sedan
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Talk about HD, I just wouldn't want to look at it haha! About as ugly as those freaking blazecut tubes
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
BUGGED11111 wrote:

I'll give you two more bad reviews. Last fall I had two go bad in a span of about 250 or so miles. Switched to standard motor products and had no more issues. But...this spring decided to go Pertronix and won't go back. I just keep a loaded points dizzy in the travel parts box in case.

I'm helping a friend get his bug ready for an Oregon to Vermont trip so we're just getting some spare take along parts together. The good news is the condenser now on it is fine, so the scary new one will be a spare.

MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
unitedracing wrote:
BUGGED11111 wrote:

I'm helping a friend get his bug ready for an Oregon to Vermont trip so we're just getting some spare take along parts together. The good news is the condenser now on it is fine, so the scary new one will be a spare.

Awesome. I've used old ones before and they work good. And that'll be an awesome trip! I love VT. If they run into any issues in the western Mass area hit me up..I'm always down to help. My info is in the emergency help list on this site.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Seek out NOS rather than brand new. The one pictured was manufactured March, 2005.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
My info is in the emergency help list on this site.

Where is that list at? I searched for it but either breezed by it or missed it entirely!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
unitedracing wrote:
My info is in the emergency help list on this site.

Where is that list at? I searched for it but either breezed by it or missed it entirely!
Sorry, I thought there was a direct link. It is listed in the bay window forum FAQs under the red "broke down" tab. This is the one I speak of. It seems like a great resource! http://www.aircooledrescue.com/
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Seek out NOS rather than brand new. The one pictured was manufactured March, 2005.

What's the secret to ID the manufacture date?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
tasb wrote:

What's the secret to ID the manufacture date?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

Awesome thanks.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser shopping Reply with quote

I have heard of using a Mallory 400 condenser as being one of the better ones still being produced. I ran across them as a V8 item, but it should work ok on a VW.

Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: