Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED headlight recommendations
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnespor57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

Anybody have recommendations for upgrading my 78 super beetle convertible with LED headlights? Thank you
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

Vintage car LED.
I think Mr. Duncan either owns the company or is a rep.

https://vintagecarleds.com/

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

I have this one with the E code upgrade in my 71:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc3500-classic-kit/

It's, in a word, wonderful. No complaints, sharp but not too sharp beam pattern. Excellent visibility. Consumes almost no power compared to the stock incandescents.

Robyn
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

You have to be mindful of the H4 retrofit LEDs. More often than not, they're not well suited for the H4 lamp housing they're being shoved into and you end up with funky scattered light, that might look like it's illuminating a lot, but it's not focused, doesn't offer depth of field, and dazzles oncoming traffic.

The other, better, option is to get complete replacements. I use the GE rebranded versions of the Truck-lite replacements in another car and they are AMAZING. The cut-off is great, the light color is good (not blue-ish like a lot of aftermarket H4 LED replacements). They're DOT approved too.

The one downside about them is that they're not fluted, and the reflector material is a darker chrome, so it can make for the headlights looking pretty dark during the day.

https://www.truck-lite.com/27270c.html
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Vintage car LED.

I second this. I put them in my 73 a few years ago and I love them. They are super bright.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Vintage car LED.

Yup, one of the co-owners.

Our H4 bulbs place the LED chips in the same focal point of the lens to offer a stock style beam pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

I put Vintage LED's into my H4 lens, and they are really bright. The beam is a little everywhere, and I had to point them way down to avoid blinding oncomming traffic. I replaced them with 7 inch Grote's, and they are way better. They are have a vertical cut off that the LED/H4 housing did not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

vintagecarleds wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Vintage car LED.

Yup, one of the co-owners.

Our H4 bulbs place the LED chips in the same focal point of the lens to offer a stock style beam pattern.

Thank you for the clarification.

While to date. I don't have a set of you headlights. I have shopped them many times. When the time comes to drop money on them. I'll hit your business up.

Folks, You have to keep in mind that all the H4 lenz's are not made the same. Same goes with the reflectors.

I had a set of H4's that were made for a company that has been in the vw game for IDK 50 years. The quality has gone downhill on some of the products. Improved on others.
Anywho, the reproduction H4's on lowbeam, had dark spaces in the wrong place.
The high beams on a dark road appeared to have giant black holes right through the center of where the beams should have been focused.

I ditched those POS H4 lenz's and bought Hella. Way better beams. Both low beam and high.

I believe that the quality of the lenz. Makes the difference., when upgrading the vintagecarleds bulbs into an existing H4 lenz.
YMMV!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

I bought a set of the 4000 Series, with the upgrade to the German H4 lens from Vintage Car LEDs.

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc4000-ultimate-kit/

They are the best upgrade I've made to the car. Period.

They are seemingly as bright as a 2021 car's headlights, yet look like they came from the factory in 1972.

They answered the phone when I called with questions.

Install was ridiculously easy.

They would likely be my first purchase if I bought another classic car.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

I agree.

Hella makes by far the best quality lenses and reflectors. They did switch production from Germany over to Turkey about 2 years ago.

However, the quality control and the product is still VERY close to "German standards"

We bulk buy our Hella lenses directly from Hella.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

I have a set of the VC5000 vintagecarleds.com mounted in the Hella H4 housings. Nice, light dispersion with a crisp cutoff. One of the best upgrades I have made to my '69.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
I have a set of the VC5000 vintagecarleds.com mounted in the Hella H4 housings. Nice, light dispersion with a crisp cutoff. One of the best upgrades I have made to my '69.

Would it be okay if we use this image on our website?
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

Sure, knock yerself out. Here are a few more.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

I would not consider the LED headlights to be an "upgrade"- at least not the "drop in" style H4 LED bulbs.

Just like the carburetor must be matched to the distributor, the bulb must be specifically matched to the reflector(in the headlight housing).

There are 'one piece' units (Trucklite brand is a popular example) which are a purpose built, one piece unit where the LED diodes have been designed to match the reflector surfaces in the housing.

Drop in LED H4 bulbs do not match the light pattern of an H4 halogen bulb, thus you will not have proper light patterns by installing an LED bulb into a reflector housing which was intended for a halogen.

See here for a bit more discussion of this on a previous thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9414487&highlight=%2Ausable%2A#9414487

Honestly, my advice would be to ensure you are getting full voltage to the headlights first.

Consider adding in 'power relays' for the headlights (I did and my sealed beams are now nearly as bright as modern headlights)

See here my install of power relays
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731542&highlight=

Now... with all that being said:

If you still would like to use LED H4 headlights, be advised that many retailers will overcharge you for the same products, so do a little investigation into what exact products you are being sold- then shop around and you'll find you can make the exact same "package" and purchase the same bulbs and same housings separately online for around 25-50% of the price of the "packages" which are being sold by many retailers.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlight recommendations Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I would not consider the LED headlights to be an "upgrade"- at least not the "drop in" style H4 LED bulbs.

You haven't used the units from vintagecarleds.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: