Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Covers
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Valve Covers Reply with quote

So I had a small leak on the one side of motor. Figured I would order new gaskets, so I went with neoprene. When I went to install the new ones, the old ones were cork with gasket maker gobbed inside. I removed and cleaned all the gasket maker from the valve covers. Installed the new gaskets, and oil is now leaking heavily from both sides. Are the bolt on covers any better for not leaking than the snap bales? CIP has various ones available, $40-$175. Should I be using the cork gaskets? any tips or tricks for setting them properly?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

Stock valve cover, stock wire bails and cork gaskets... never a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

The engine had Chrome after market covers on it. I suspect they are the problem. This is the only reproduction I could find on CIP. Anyone have experience with them? https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-101-475-B2
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

CB Performance has those as well for the same price or spend $50. on some German ones from Bughaus or Wolfsburg West.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

Just clean them well glue the cork gaskets to the covers with a decent gasket sealant and make sure the bales still have good tension. Anything more is just eye candy over function.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Just clean them well glue the cork gaskets to the covers with a decent gasket sealant and make sure the bales still have good tension. Anything more is just eye candy over function.

...but eye candy is part of the fun on a buggy! Cool
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

put them on the head without a gasket first to make sure they are straight and flush on the head. If they wobble you can twist them by hand to make them sit good. Than install with a gasket.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
oprn wrote:

...but eye candy is part of the fun on a buggy! Cool

Sure it is but buy them for that, just don't expect them to be better at sealing because they are not.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

I've used the neoprene gaskets in the past with no problems or leakage. I attach them to the cover with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Should last for years.

The cork gaskets I attach with either the 3M or with silicon.

Either way, the valve cover MUST BE CLEAN with not a trace of oil. Not just wiped off, nor even just washed, but all residue of old gasket and oil removed with brake cleaner spray.

If the gasket is not attached to the valve cover, they can shift and thus leak.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

After a few attempts with the gaskets and covers I had, and not being able to stop the leaking. I ordered a set of EMPI CIP# C13-16-9470. they are polished stamped SS. They have an internal lip to prevent the gasket from moving. The bales were way tighter than the ones I had. No gasket maker, no silicone. These things were tight, and no leaks so far.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Covers Reply with quote

Good news.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: