Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits.. Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
The SA Cluster Master kit from Eric at Vanagon.org is a gem and worth waiting for.

2x
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

I installed an original GoWesty (1st gen or almost pre-production) version many years ago. Maybe 2013-ish? Still works great.

Here's another to add to the list from Slow Bridge Innovations in Taiwan:

They make one for analog clock (generally 85 & older) and one for digital clock (Usually 86 & Later)
https://www.slowbridgeinnovation.com/vanagon-instrument-cluster-repair

They also have an upgraded digital clock replacement that looks cool.
https://www.slowbridgeinnovation.com/product-page/oled-clock

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Has anybody used any of these replacement kits (GoWesty, Vanagon.org, Kai from Taiwan) on a van with a Subaru (EJ25) conversion? Are they compatible or is there anything that needs to be changed/modified?

My clock is shot, my tachometer stopped working a couple weeks ago, my dash lights are flaky, the usual... Very Happy

I do have Kai set on my subaru converted vanagon.
Works great so far and the install was super easy too.
professorplumb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

vik wrote:
pnwkayaker wrote:
Has anybody used any of these replacement kits (GoWesty, Vanagon.org, Kai from Taiwan) on a van with a Subaru (EJ25) conversion? Are they compatible or is there anything that needs to be changed/modified?

My clock is shot, my tachometer stopped working a couple weeks ago, my dash lights are flaky, the usual... Very Happy

I do have Kai set on my subaru converted vanagon.
Works great so far and the install was super easy too.

I have the GoWesty version on my EJ25 conversion for ... 5+ years now? No problems at all.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
There is yet another option: do it yourself! I did it a few years ago. If you have time, that's the way to go!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7798186#7798186

Instructions: https://www.kpcnsk.com/?p=138

PM me if you have any questions.

x2.If you can solder and have time you can do it for a fraction of the kit cost. kpcnsk diagram is correct checked against the foil.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Circuit Foil Replacement Kits Reply with quote

I finally decided to order Kai Yu's replacement kit to use in my Syncro with a Subaru EJ25, and I couldn't be happier with the results (pic below is the first engine start). Before this, half of the lights of the cluster were dead, the tachometer was not working, the LCD clock was blank and I couldn't trust that the fuel gauge level was correct (level never went above 80%). Now everything is working again including the fuel gauge (correctly indicating that the tank is full).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Total installation time was 2-3 hrs at a very deliberate pace (once I started removing the foil I realized there was no way back, so wanted to ensure everything was done correctly).

I did some research on foil replacement kits, and it seems all kits available in the market work great - in my case, I decided to buy from a small vendor (with great reviews) that also happened to sell an OLED replacement clock that looked awesome. I also added some beauty rings as a way to show that I love my Syncro Smile

Kai Yu's dedication showed up in the design, packaging and clarity of the instructions, but I was completely amazed that he had pre-set the clock to the local date and time for the Pacific Northwest (the clock has its own internal battery to keep the time, no adjustment was required)!

Below is the link to Kai Yu webpage, I bought the "VW Vanagon instrument cluster repair kit with OLED clock".
https://www.slowbridgeinnovation.com

You can buy the beauty rings from Brickwerks https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/beauty-rings-t3-dashboard-pair.html

The kit came with instructions, but I mostly followed the video below from "Italjohn" (was constantly comparing it against the instructions). The video is based on a previous version of the kit, the current version is even better/simpler (removed potential for error in the tachometer connection by adding a small circuit board pre-wired).

Link

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: