Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
baz76 wrote:
My factory pulley disintegrated at 7k rpm and left a nice dent in the decklid, I replaced it with a top quality flat 4 reproduction and let the belt run looser. No problems since.

I’ll second the Flat-4 pulley. They are stamped out of thick material, run true, and can sustain some pretty high rpm without throwing the belt.

I was flipping the belt pretty regularly too until I started using the flat 4 pulley and a wider belt. Haven't had one flip since, bought 3 belts and still have 2 spares in my tool kit.

https://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=2980&xSec=178
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

I thought you were going to say something like this happened...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

Nah, fortunately no one threw a hand grenade at my engine! Razz Razz
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

Dang.. Throw one rod.. keep driving... throw another... keep driving.

Not even worth taking that apart...

7 shims.... 7 is the number... 7.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

That looks more like a towing in gear incident.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

As above. 1st gear towing incident us my guess
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
The "correct" amount of shims depends on the length of the gen/alt shaft the thickness of the combined pulley halves and the cupped washer. My Bentley shows seven. As long as the shaft has thread left when tight your good.

And also you remove shims to make a belt tighter if needed. So for a wider belt you might need more shims, a skinny one would need less.
If you have a skinny or stretched belt and the number of shims becomes lower, you can always put the un-used shim(s) behind the cupped washer (good to have there when time comes to replace the belt with a new not-yet-stretched one)

I find that usually you need to remove one shim after a short while because the belt stretches out after the first drive. After that first stretching period I found it doesn't not really stretch much and it takes a while to happen also.

This is probably obvious too but you want to make you sure you have enough shims to where the top pulley half bottoms out completely and aren't just tightening the pulley to where the belt stops it from tightening anymore.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If that's the worse you every have... consider yourself very lucky.

You got that right Glenn!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
As above. 1st gear towing incident us my guess

Yep, it was in a car I bought at a storage auction, it did have a nice rebuilt IRS trans axle though.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

Earthquake, my engine blow from the belt breaking, I don't think it was that bad internally but I really don't know because I had the T-4 engine to install and something was sticking out of the T-1 case. Dumped the case and took the distributor and carb off.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First and worst breakdown on the way to Farmington yesterday Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Glenn wrote:
If that's the worse you every have... consider yourself very lucky.

You got that right Glenn!

This is worse.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: