Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 MV rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Dan

I see it's available from a few suppliers...looks like a part I could get a plumbing store!

Vanistan wants nearly $800 for the deluxe kit with the water/oil delete option. Plus their kit places the cooler and fan on the right side of the engine...which requires a long run of hose.

I am wondering why it's not located on the left/drivers side which would be a shorter and more direct route for the oil lines.

R

Last edited by 90weekender on Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

this is what you're looking for:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if one of the Samba vendors has them, please chime up! otherwise the pn resolves correctly for me. here's one place that has them:
https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-fitting-059115721

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
the cooler elimination requires a oil filter nipple for non cooler VW 059 115 721 plus very good blocking of the coolant lines.

Why block them? I connected them straight together.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Thanks Dan

I am wondering why it's not located on the left/drivers side which would be a shorter and more direct route for the oil lines.

R

That's where mine is. With some versions of the AC lines it's hard to get an oil cooler over there. On my '87 Syncro there was plenty of space. I think I have about 6' of hose in total from the sandwich plate to the cooler and back. I built mine out of all Setrab parts (I wasn't impressed with the Mocal adapters), it took some work but came together nicely in the end. I'd post pictures but it doesn't photograph well…

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Thanks Dan

I see it's available from a few suppliers...looks like a part I could get a plumbing store!

Vanistan wants nearly $800 for the deluxe kit with the water/oil delete option. Plus their kit places the cooler and fan on the right side of the engine...which requires a long run of hose.

R

typically the AC hoses are taking up all the space in the left side pillar. i'd deleted my AC so had that area open. i think you could go without the fan with just normal operation... fan option good if you're doing rock crawling, etc. i put a fan on mine just because i picked up a motorcycle rad fan cheap on eBay that fit well and i like to tinker but you'll get pretty darn good cooling without it if you wan to save some bucks.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Dan,

What do you think your fan-less system cost you?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Dan,

What do you think your fan-less system cost you?

here's the parts... but what's NOT included is the insane amount of time to fab the oil cooler mount in the pillar airspace. materials were scrap, but hours of test fitting, cardboard cutouts, and fabrication. i so respect outfits that can offer a turn-key solution where they've done the R&D. it takes a crazy amount of time, time of which some enjoy and others just want to move on. your call.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371101&postorder=desc

www.thefixitworkshop.com
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Looks good Dan.

I have a crazy idea:

If I delete my AC compressor, can I use the AC lines and cooler to cool my engine oil?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

I am assuming the question was a joke, but in case it was not a joke, the answer is no.

AC fittings and hose would function, but would require AC-to-non-AC hose fittings which do not exist. Parker hose could help.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

if you re-use AC lines as oil cooler hoses you'll not be getting any Christmas cookies from the engine rebuild gods. you've either bought new or replated nearly every shiny bit, why cheap out on the artery of your engine? get the Aeroquip StartLite hose and sleep with smug impunity.

much consternation about deleting AC.... i LOVE my AC delete and that's the only thing that matters. screw resale, i'm the terminal user of this van.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Looks good Dan.

I have a crazy idea:

If I delete my AC compressor, can I use the AC lines and cooler to cool my engine oil?

Please remove the lines and condenser and send them to me in this case. The money I will pay you can go towards oil cooler lines...
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Added the exhaust today...at least the big stuff. I chose to keep my original system and painted it with Hight Temp rattle can stuff. It will likely chip off pretty quickly, but I wanted to give the OEM spec look a shot.

Rebuilt injectors from a shop in Chino. $100
All my yellow plating was a gift from a friend and done by VanNuys plating $150.
All new hardware for the entire project was from Belmetric at about $125
I’d like to use the original style blue spring clamps for fuel lines, but they really bite into the hose. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 90weekender on Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

that's so gorgeous. after my rebuild someone suggested i flip my fuel injector manifolds around so the end caps face rear... better to keep an eye on any leaking. i did that after installing a set of injectors.

i'm in a corrosion/salt area so i went with exhaust studs all the way around and used long brass cap nuts to cover the exposed threads as they rust off to mush around here. i'm really happy with them after a couple years:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714759&highlight=

as you can see, my head nuts aren't nearly as nice as yours! but i did sand them flat on the sealing surface and used green Curil T instead of the mystery yellow goo.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

and my laaaast comment on your beautiful engine... here's what i think of the distributor cap RF shields. at least pull your metal one off to clean and inspect. or throw.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751350&highlight=

www.thefixitworkshop.com
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

I don’t see pushrod tube shields. I wouldn’t necessarily install the originals, I’ve seen some decent aftermarket solutions. I’d prefer something.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I don’t see pushrod tube shields. I wouldn’t necessarily install the originals, I’ve seen some decent aftermarket solutions. I’d prefer something.

myeah. i left mine off too. hate having to remove/loosen exhaust nuts to get to sender and drain plugs. i like the intrepid overland clip on ones, makes total sense but i'm running naked now. at least it'll be easy to wrap some self fuseing silicone tape around any puncture. might not be a bad idea to put a layer of Gorilla Tape on the bottom side for some ding resistance. dunno. i like mine off. until i don't.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Dan,

I'm still catching up to your previous comments on stud thread sealants. Nickel seems to be the best. Is copper compound so bad? Seems like a standard practice.

My original steel studs were removed without a fuss. However, in the spirit of making this a better than stock build, I used stainless bolts, nuts and the original steel studs which were pristine. I used copper thread compound on the exhaust studs and bolts with high temp exposure. And I'm not excited to pull these, clean them and install the nickel stuff.

As a general note to Noobs:
One of the hardest parts of this build has been researching the assembly compounds. What a maze. I've got like 8 tubes and cans of toxic stuff I'll never use again that cost $25 each. Pros can use this stuff on multiple builds to offset costs.

WRT to distributor:
I'm fanatical about maintenance so will keep the metal shield on my distributor.

WRT to push rod tube shields, I planned to install originals after the engine is in the van.
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Revisiting fuel hoses.

Hose:
Looking at buying the metric stuff from Buslab:
https://www.buslab.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=N0202811&CartID=6

Is this stuff as durable as I need? Chemistries have changes over the years. Gowesty is selling a better more durable hose for modern fuels.

I've heard Gates makes a fuel line that deals with methanol additives in modern fuels.
[/url]https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose.html[url]

Thanks
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

fuel line is rilly rilly critical and there's lots of mis-information. J30R14 and J30R9 are two standards you'll hear thrown around but beware there is LOW PRESSURE J30R14 but i've not seen any but HIGH PRESSURE J30R9. so. the most modern standard is probably J30R14 but make SURE you get the 225psi variant. they sell both a low and high pressure variant. this is one area where i wouldn't trust anyone but my own research and buy Gates Barricade J30R14 or J30R9 in the *225 psi* variant!!! do your research and buy accordingly. you WILL be screwed if you buy the low pressure variant.

used two styles of hose clamps.
ABA 22013 stainless 13mm screw clamps- i use these on the FI rails and pump outlet so i can release them to pull injectors out for cleaning.

Oetiker 16700014 StepLess Ear Clamp, One Ear, Clamp ID Range 12.3 mm (Closed) - 14.8. i use these everywhere else.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 MV rebuild Reply with quote

Dan,

Belmetric has these:

These are gorgeous but an ID of 13.3 too small for the OD of the Gates fuel hose of 14.2. How do you get them to fit?
https://www.belmetric.com/aba-dual-drive-hex-c-15_...-4330.html

These come with the BusLab kit:
https://www.belmetric.com/oetiker-167-stepless-ear...-3552.html

Amazon has the Gates Barricade J30R14 rated at 225psi:
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-27348-Barricade-Fuel-...amp;sr=1-1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: