Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Interior Lamp Wiring Confusion
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Rear Interior Lamp Wiring Confusion Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I suck at electrics. I did a little video here to show the replacement interior lamp I bought. Somebody has added new wiring to it and I'm somewhat confused about what I should be doing with each of the wires. If anybody could help me, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

Link
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Interior Lamp Wiring Confusion Reply with quote

negative goes to the metal frame.

you should have 3 bulbs in that housing. 1 switch only does one 1 bulb, the other switch does 2 bulbs

it was wired so 1 switch controls the 2 outer bulbs and the other switch just did the middle.

to add to that mess the dash switch controlled power to ALL of them.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Interior Lamp Wiring Confusion Reply with quote

Thanks mate! I chopped out all the unnecessary stuff and managed to get it functioning as it should Smile It works perfectly now. Left switch does the two outer bulbs and right switch does the middle. Then the dashboard switch turns the whole thing on and off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Interior Lamp Wiring Confusion Reply with quote

Side question - anyone know a source for the white plastic covers for those 3 bulb westy lights?

I installed two more of those lights in my westy. One at the sliding door closer to the passenger seat and another on the pop up top. Then wired them up so the pop top center bulb gets controlled by the front switch and each switch controls one of the outer bulbs and is always live as is the other two side light units. Along with an additional factory 3-way bus light in the back cargo area connected to a door switch and a 2-way bus light at the very front linked to the same light switch as the center pop top there are no shady dark areas inside anymore and has a stock look to it. Just need to pick up some LED bulbs for them to cut down on the amperage.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Interior Lamp Wiring Confusion Reply with quote

I don’t think anyone sells them new, so your best bet is the classifieds or someone parting out a Westy.
9/10 of the ones I’ve come across are cracked though, so as long as they’re not completely shattered, you might just have to take whatever you can find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: