Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bus Muffler?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

I picked up this muffler at Fast Times at Farmington over the weekend. The old dude said he took it off a 71 to put on a performance muffler... but now I'm thinking that tailpipe is wrong for a 71?
It's heavy, has indentions... and the damper pipe at least has a sticker that reads Made in West Germany on it. Does anyone recognize this? I'm interested in knowing the maker/country of origin, and if it will work on my stock 1600 DP?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

That looks correct for 68-71 per the exhaust system diagram in the Bentley service manual.

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

Some time with the wire wheel and some high temp paint and I bet it looks great.
’65 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

That's a splitty tail pipe, but the rest is the same as 1600 bay, there were a few sellers (still some today) who had the tail pipe styles backwards. Bay pipes are straight with no downward bend.
The brand doesn't look familiar, but it looks like a fairly solid unit, try it out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

I kind of thought this muffler would physically fit my bus... but I was worried that there would be some horsepower issue if it were the muffler for a splitty or something.
I only paid $30 bucks for it.. with no shipping... so no worries there... I just didn't want to do the work on installing it only to find our it was for a lower horse power motor. But I'm gathering that there is no problem in using it..

Thank you everyone! As usual!

I have a NOS VW tailpipe for a 71 on the way... No more embarrassing double pea shooters sticking out in back and trying to gas me to death! Embarassed
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

The 40 horse muffler is narrower between the flanges (ports), measure the width of what's on there now, the difference is something like 3/4"

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

Just measured up under my bus and it appears to be around 61 cm on center on the two ports closest to the pavement... Are these the ones you were talking about Busdaddy?
The muffler in question looks to be around 62 cm on center.. so that's either my error on the measurement up under the bus (most likely) or this muffler is wider than my motor if anything... which I'm taking to mean it will fit if I hit it with my 25 pound blacksmithing sledge hammer...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

Sounds close enough, the whole engine is narrower on the 1200, by a noticeable margin. 27 5/8" is the center to center on a stock stroke 1600's #2 and #4 ports, now and then they warp a little from time and heat so a well placed whack may be what it needs.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

I have no doubt you could work some precise blows, but the vibration may cause internal issues on a muffler that old. I'd prefer heat and carefully applied force, myself. I've used heat and an insulated ratchet strap with good results, for shrinkage around 1/4" or so.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Muffler? Reply with quote

Just joking about the 25 pound hammer Robbie... although I do have one... and I am tempted sometimes!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: