Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof top luggage box
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Here's one in your area: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/d/west-milford-thule-roof-box/7323003903.html

Wow!
How you guys find this stuff is amazing!

I contacted him, if he still has it I have a co-worker that lives only two streets away!
He could pick it up for me.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

space wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Packasport boxes......
I'm sure they are great but $2,000 - $4,000 ?!?

Yeah......... that ain't happening!

Dave

At that price may as well haul another vanagon as your "box" Laughing

Ha! Yeah, Packasport boxes are often color-matched and sitting on top of new $60,000 SUVs.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Here's one in your area: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/d/west-milford-thule-roof-box/7323003903.html

Geez Dave, jump on that and flip it on the Samba! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

Hey Dave if your in the chi area and need help/assistance lmk
T
Rear discs
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

Storage boxes...........

A thousand years ago I used to go ski camping in my splitters and needed something so the skis wouldn't drip on us at night, Outside racks would wind up with road crud all over them and sometimes frozen. The roof seemed too awkward so I came up with a Thule type shape idea I would custom build with fiberglass. The idea is it would get bolted into the DS side and protrude about 8" into the world. Around 16" high and since we used 210cm length skis then, it would have been 7ish feet long. It would have hinges on the bottom and would open flat and there the skis would be. Still think this is a good viable solution and now that land yachting is replacing water yachting, it's on my list. Two half inch bolts. One in the C pillar and one just aft of the driver's door with reinforcing inside. Threaded inserts flush with the body so when not in use, small plastic color matched plugs could be stuck in. Or Allen set screws put in flush and painted.

Anyhoo, I'll have a three part box. Back, which bolts to car and the lid--hinged to the bottom. Then a hinged inside plywood cover which will latch to the cover so when it gets tipped up none of the stuff will fall down before being closed. Hard suitcase lids have these to keep shirts where they belong. Light lines will hold the cover and ply level for kitchen use. Maybe the ply is in a couple of sections so pots and food is available when the stove is set up.

I have been a boat builder and know how hatches are made water tight against boarding sees, so don't anticipate any intrusion issues either with dust or water. Yacht clamshell skylights with a horizontal hinge were covered with canvas so water couldn't get in at that point. painted canvas was folded over the hinge prior to being installed, I'd do that on the bottom. Vinyl hinges are also available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A nice graceful shape and tons of room.

This might even be a good commercial opportunity. Most folks don't want bolts in their cars, but a roof gutter to quarter panel rack could mount it also.

Duncan
RonicaR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

How much weight can you put on the roof and still pop the top?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

RonicaR wrote:

i think the HD pop top struts are rated for some fairly heavy roof loads

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

RonicaR wrote:

Depends on the weight you have up there and the gas pressure in the struts.
Too much weight and low pressure = hard lift.
Too little weight and high pressure and it might lift you off your feet as you raise it.
Struts come in various pressures and you have match the weight to the strut.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

I used a pair of dry box storage cases from Underwater Kinetics. Model UK821. Two of them fit perfectly. Don't know if they still make this model, but might be available second-hand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

FWIW, on my last trip with two heavily loaded rocket boxes I used the strongest lift struts I could find that would fir the Jack Bombay set up UI had. IIRS Jack's heaviy is 120 ftlbs (or is is nutons) anyway, the ones I put it were 230 of that same unit. I had to hang on it with the boxes empty to close it and it popped up on its own....and it was a pleasure when the boxes were full.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top luggage box Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

The last luggage box I has was a Sears Xcargo decades ago.

Dave

Too bad you’re not closer to Maine, I have one sitting out back you could have…
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: