Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the Horns working properly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Soderquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

What keeps the upper steering column bearing from grounding the steering shaft to the column itself?
I have not seen mention of this as a possible cause for inadvertent horn activation. I have tried pretty much everything to figure out why when I turn the key on my horn blows. Finally pulled the column and looked at the upper bearing installation and thus my question. It appears to be a direct ground of the shaft to the column.
Any help greatly appreciated...
Bob Soderquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in my upper steering column bearing question that I have a 65 Karmann Ghia...
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Bob Soderquist wrote:
I forgot to mention in my upper steering column bearing question that I have a 65 Karmann Ghia...

Hi Bob, Welcome to the Samba.

The column is not connected to ground and the top bearing is supposed to be filled with conducting grease to ensure there is continuity to the shaft. This assembly is insulated from the rest of the car in the manner shown in step six in the first post to this thread. There are four photographs showing the insulation points. Your's being a '65 will be identical.

Have a look and compare then come back to us with more questions if anything is unclear.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Did you install a new rubbercoupler? THere is a version of the steering coupler that is not insulative and actually conducts and can create a short -- resulting in horn activating all the time.

Tore my hair out trying to chase a similar short down until I discovered it was the coupler.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Bob Soderquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Bob Soderquist wrote:

Hi Bob, Welcome to the Samba.

The column is not connected to ground and the top bearing is supposed to be filled with conducting grease to ensure there is continuity to the shaft. This assembly is insulated from the rest of the car in the manner shown in step six in the first post to this thread. There are four photographs showing the insulation points. Your's being a '65 will be identical.

Have a look and compare then come back to us with more questions if anything is unclear.

Nicholas

Thanks for getting back to me. I ran an ohm check across the rubber connection at the end of the steering shaft. It showed that there was continuity . That would mean that current had a free path all the way to ground ( steering box) . I am going to look into this as the possible problem.
Bob Soderquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Did you install a new rubbercoupler? THere is a version of the steering coupler that is not insulative and actually conducts and can create a short -- resulting in horn activating all the time.

Tore my hair out trying to chase a similar short down until I discovered it was the coupler.

I checked for continuity across my rubber coupler and as you had discovered I have the same issue. I had purchased the car in this configuration. The previous owner obviously tried to trouble shoot the problem, gave up and installed a separate push button on the dash to provide a predictable ground.
I will replace the existing coupler with a Wolfsburg West unit and get back to the forum with the results.
Thanks for you very helpful suggestion and thanks to everyone who contributes to the forum.
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
This topic coming up again was timely. I finally figured out how to hook up a battery to check my wiring, saw some lights work, wiper motor spun, all seemed good, then suddenly out of nowhere, my horn went off, at least I know they work, so I yanked one of the horn wires to stop the noise.

Now I'm going to have to go back through this whole tutorial to find out where it's grounded. I think it may be in the steering wheel itself as I may have set the screws too close to the contact disk...ugh, well at least I got hot readings at the fuse panel so most of the wiring seems good at this point and nothing melted!
Jeff

The picture you posted in your build thread shows what I believe could be a problem as well.
The one where you added a wire across the steering coupler. The bolts you used seem awfully long, if one of the was in contact with the pinch bolt at the bottom of the hollow rod...
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Thanks, I responded in my build thread, but I did check those before and have cut them back, I think I need to cut one more back, but will check that and confirm. Thanks for pointing it out, and checking my thread!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Bob Soderquist wrote:
bnam wrote:

I checked for continuity across my rubber coupler and as you had discovered I have the same issue. I had purchased the car in this configuration. The previous owner obviously tried to trouble shoot the problem, gave up and installed a separate push button on the dash to provide a predictable ground.
I will replace the existing coupler with a Wolfsburg West unit and get back to the forum with the results.
Thanks for you very helpful suggestion and thanks to everyone who contributes to the forum.

Be careful, even that ww part may have same problem. I have a thread somewhere that i posted that shows what the bas parts look like (they even say germany in it). I ended up using a part from a suzuki jimmy that is a perfect fit. I posted the part number in that thread.

Example of bad coupler. Even WW ones branded as FEBI/Bilstein have this problem (unless they have updated recently)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Suzuki part

Continuity on bad part

THe inserts on the Suzuki coupler were separate part number. Will see if I still have that info.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bnam. It’s difficult to argue with evidence like that. I’ll go back and edit the first post so it flags this problem.

Nicholas
Bob Soderquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info.

I replaced the rubber steering connection but to no avail. Horn would still sound whenever ignition was on.

Having pretty well checked out all aspects of grounding in the column. I took a better look at the steering wheel and horn ring assembly.

An aftermarket horn ring had been installed by the PO. Deciding that this was the next place to concentrate on I removed the three attachment screws,
insulators, springs and contact ring.

The first thing I noticed was the stepped insulator grommet that is suppose to pass thru the horn ring didn’t. I measured the OD of the grommet and it was 7 mm....the diameter of the hole in the AFTERMARKET horn ring was 5mm.

Obviously, without insulating protection the screws that hold the horn ring in place we’re grounding the horn ring and the horn would sound any time the ignition was turned on.

As I had mentioned a PO had installed an aftermarket horn ring and apparently not being able to figure out why the horn sounded gave up and installed a push button switch on the dash.

I replaced the after market ring with an OE ring I had on hand ( grommet fits correctly) and the horn works fine .

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this problem. For me it was a real head scratcher...

The Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

While doing a 6 to 12 volt conversion, I’ve run into a horn issue on a 66 Ghia. I’m using a 12v Bosch 5 pin. The horn “sticks” on once the ring is pressed. I have to shut the ignition off to silence the horns. When the ignition is turned back on the horns remain silent until the horn ring gets pushed again. I’ve swapped the relay but get the same results.
Further diagnosis- horns work when I ground the relay manually. With a volt meter I see the horn ring ground is momentary like it should be. Put them back together and it’s back to a constant on once activated. A little frustrated 🤨 any help would be appreciated.

Update. Bypassed the relay ( power direct and brown wire direct.) Horns work perfectly. More confusion. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Try another relay - to eliminate that as a source.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Try another relay - to eliminate that as a source.

Yes, a relay with four terminals. That five terminal relay as described seems dubious. It behaves like a high beam relay and not at all like a horn relay.
Nicholas
misterh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

One characteristic of a relay is that the voltage required to remain activated (drop out voltage) is much lower than the voltage required to activate (pick up voltage). A relay with an 8V pick up voltage might remain activated with a volt or two.

If you have a leakage path to ground through the rubber coupler, it may not be enough to activate the relay, but enough to keep the relay activated after you ground the horn ring.

Contrary to popular belief, it's quite common for different rubbers to conduct electricity because carbon black is added to the mixture. My guess is that some folks that manufacture the couplers are unaware of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Any tips on hooking up the horn on a Empi Datsun wheel?
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

This might be a really dumb question but electricity is mysterious to me...

I just finished restoring my chassis and the beam is freshly painted.

Should I scratch some paint off between the beam and the steering box to create a ground to the chassis?

But the area where the bolts pass through to the beam to the frame head is also painted. So I would need to scratch some paint off under the bolt?

Or run a ground wife from the steering box?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Not a dumb question in the slightest. Either of those approaches would work.
Nicholas
demley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Hello
I have followed your guide, here’s what I’m confronted with. This is a new restoration (46 miles). The horn was working fine but the cancellation of the directional signal wasn’t functioning, I found a significant gap between the steering wheel and the signal mechanism. I adjusted the signal switch forward but there still remained the gap so I unbolted the column support and moved the steering tube forward, in order to do that I sprayed CRC 556 on the bushing at the base of the steering tube…directional signal now cancel but when I attached the brown wire that comes out of the steering shaft the horn sounds continuously. Is the lube enough to cause this? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thank you in advance
Don
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Horns working properly Reply with quote

Since all you did is move the steering column, I feel there are two possibilities, you kinked the wire that runs inside the steering column and it's grounding someplace or more likely the the steering column is grounding against the steering column tube where it exits under the the gas tank.

I would start by looking under the driver side tire and seeing if it's rubbing and take it from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: