Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hockeymatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

Hello all. I am restoring the inside of my '77 Riviera. I have pulled all of the white vinyl that was stuck onto the pillars around all of the windows. There is a residue of old glue that completely resists rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, and acetone. It appears organic, and it chips and is brown in color. Does anyone have any ideas how to remove this glue from Hell? Thx, Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

I haven't found anything to work well either. So I'm also interested to see what people say. I assume you'd like to maintain the OG paint underneath the glue? I am sanding down and repainting on my bus.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

A Laquer thinner soaked rag held up against it for a while will help, cover it with tin foil and tape it on. Once it's softer a 3M Stripe off wheel (or similar off brand) should do it. A heat gun also helps soften it up.

Worst case scenario a paint stripper wheel will get it off, but the paint underneath will suffer.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

I went through the same when I converted my Transporter to a Westy interior, and removed the vinyl to install a wooden headliner and wall panels. Nothing I tried even came close to removing it. I ended up sanding it down and spraying the area around the windows with some code-matched spray paint cans. It turned out pretty nice I thought. I guess it depends how much you value that original paint underneath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hockeymatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

I contacted 3M about adhesives and the rep said that once it gets this dry nothing will work. Since I will likely repaint the pillars, perhaps I'll use a wheel or sand it down.

My local shop said toluene or ethanol might work...but quite dangerous to work with.

What do you prefer to use to sand if you're reading this?
hockeymatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I went through the same when I converted my Transporter to a Westy interior, and removed the vinyl to install a wooden headliner and wall panels. Nothing I tried even came close to removing it. I ended up sanding it down and spraying the area around the windows with some code-matched spray paint cans. It turned out pretty nice I thought. I guess it depends how much you value that original paint underneath.

How do you get paint code-matched please?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

hockeymatrix wrote:
CanStan wrote:

How do you get paint code-matched please?

I've been eyeing paintscratch.com for a while. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to real soon. https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Volkswagen/Bus.html
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

Any decent auto body supply shop should be able to make you spray cans if you give them the correct paint code. Usually for around $20. It's not the greatest way in the world to do it, but I don't have access to a proper paint gun and setup, so it was my best option. If you're doing a Westy where curtains cover the majority of that painted area around the windows anyway, most people would never notice the quality of your paint job.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

Depends on if you are a cheapskate, or don't mind a couple extra bucks for the right stuff. A local autobody paint store can mix it, and most of the time they can put it in a spray can as well, but don't expect to get away paying hardware store prices.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

If the adhesive is dry and dusty...use a fine wire wheel.

If its still rubbery....50/50 mix basic mineral spirts (xylene) and acetone. Wet the rag and soak it. wipe up with paper towels and do not spread it around.

Both of these take work either way. Ray
hockeymatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

hockeymatrix wrote:
Hello all. I am restoring the inside of my '77 Riviera. I have pulled all of the white vinyl that was stuck onto the pillars around all of the windows. There is a residue of old glue that completely resists rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, and acetone. It appears organic, and it chips and is brown in color. Does anyone have any ideas how to remove this glue from Hell? Thx, Ron

Thank you all for your input....Ron
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

I'm going through this process on my Vanagon Westy. I've found that using slow reducer and some coarse steel wool is effective. The slow reducer stays wetter, longer instead of drying quickly like acetone. Once it's scrubbed, I wipe it off with a reducer soaked rag.

Good luck!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hockeymatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
I'm going through this process on my Vanagon Westy. I've found that using slow reducer and some coarse steel wool is effective. The slow reducer stays wetter, longer instead of drying quickly like acetone. Once it's scrubbed, I wipe it off with a reducer soaked rag.

Good luck!

What kind of "slow reducer" are you using my friend?
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

I used a wire wheel to bare metal, but I painted whole inside.
MEK will take anything off, but will remove paint also.
Maybe try sanding it off also.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

hockeymatrix wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:

Good luck!

What kind of "slow reducer" are you using my friend?

I'm sure any brand would work. I think mine is a PPG product. It should be available at any local, automotive paint supply store.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue from behind white vinyl on pillars Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

Good luck!

Yes. A product like xylene is a "slow" reducer. However, spending on the glue type it can not be strong enough.

This is why I mix with acetone (or MEK). Both of those are too fast. By that I mean....they will dissolve the glue...but flash off so fast they just leave a spread out mess.

The object of mixing a stronger/faster solvent with something slower is that it brings the flash off point of the hotter solvent up so it flashes off slower. It allows you working time.

The thing to around...is that most of the more efficient fast solvents ...are going to attack the paint. But if this is an area that is fully covered in vinyl.....I would not worry about the paint so much. You can repaint it with something like master series.

But.....if you are REALLY worried about saving the paint beneath this vinyl...sometimes the way to get this done ....is with the fast/hot solvents. You can cut MEK with a small amount of paint thinner or xylene to slow it down a little...not much. Wet a a rag....wipe quickly. it will dissolve some....and you take that away with the rag. Let it flash off and dry. Move to a clean spot on the rag and repeat. Keep doing this.

The object is to let any softened paint...completely dry and reharden before wiping again. Its Damn slow.....so work in one spot and them move to another to give it time to dry.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: