Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob choke question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Noob choke question Reply with quote

I am beginning to finally understand how the choke works, I'm just a bit confused on how to place it on the carb. This is how the carb was on my 74 standard, this carb has since been transferred to my 74 Super however I have not changed anything on it...it is exactly like it was when I bought the car. Should the plug be at the top? Looking at it, to someone inexperienced like myself it appears to be "upside down". Do I need to rotate so the plug is on the top?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob choke question Reply with quote

Remove the air cleaner on a cold motor, loosen the 3 screws on the choke heater, step down on the gas peddle to activate the choke and rotate the choke element until the choke just closes, then tighten the 3 screws.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob choke question Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Remove the air cleaner on a cold motor, loosen the 3 screws on the choke heater, step down on the gas peddle to activate the choke and rotate the choke element until the choke just closes, then tighten the 3 screws.

Thank you, I'll give that a try. I just had it running a little while ago so I'll let it cool down a bit.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob choke question Reply with quote

You can remove the 3 screws and see how it works, a coil spring with a hook end that the cover hooks into, simple nothing come flying out.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob choke question Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
You can remove the 3 screws and see how it works, a coil spring with a hook end that the cover hooks into, simple nothing come flying out.

I see how it works and tried what you suggested. I think there is something wrong with the coil spring although it does appear to be intact. I see I can get new one on jbugs for $20. I think I'll get it and be done with it. I have to move on because now I have a autostick problem Laughing I'll make a new thread for that one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: