Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front tire rubbing
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
59Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

I bought my 59 last spring and, after driving it on several trips on various types of roads, I identified that the right front tire will rub on the fender lip under the right conditions. With a full(ish) tank of gas, 2 adults in the front and a 70lb child in the back seat, it would rub going around left hand bends or curves in the road at highway speeds (90km/hr), sometimes slower if the curve is tighter.

Now that I've introduced my 2 kids to the car, who are about 120lbs each, the right front tire rubs a lot more with all 5 of us in the car, sometimes just going over a slight dip in the road, or turning left at low speeds, or even applying the brakes to slow down. This situation is obviously dangerous and damaging to the car and the tire.

The PO installed dropped spindles and put on 165R15 Coker Classic whitewall tires all around. My question is what is the best/easiest/most economical way to fix this situation?

I have the original spindles that I could install, which would be the cheapest way to go, but I really like the way the car sits in the front with the dropped ones on.

Do I get new, narrower tires for the fronts? I can't seem to find 135's in white walls, only 145's from BF Goodrich.

Would installing gas shocks help keep the front end from compressing so much with everyone in the car? Obviously that would make the ride more firm, which is something I could probably live with for the amount I drive it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

59Canadian wrote:
...what is the best/easiest/most economical way to fix this situation?

135's have a tiny footprint and crappy braking distance, unsafe for the family (145's aren't much better). Gas shocks give a super crappy ride, you may as well weld the torsion arms to the beam, same sensation. If you must keep the drop spindles, then a narrowed beam would be the best solution. The easiest and most economical solution is to reinstall the OE spindles, get that cushy ride AND wheel clearance.

I saw your EMPI drop spindles in your gallery. If you're going to keep them, I recommend removing them and examining them closely, then remove as much rust as possible from them and paint them, and flood the area on the backsides with paint where the stub axle is exposed through the cast knuckle, you don't want rust/corrosion propagating to the insides. That was a super lazy-ass move by the PO to slap those things on there without painting them.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

I run 155ís on the front with drop spindles and no rubbing
VACP Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

Check DiamondBack Tires. Not sure the import costs to Canada, but they carry a good selection of smaller WW tires. Your options are:1) Narrower tires; 2) Raising it back to stock;3) Narrow your beam, but will still most likely need narrower tires;4)Lower profile tires, but hard to get lower profile 165ís in a WW;5)deeper backspace rims.

One question is WHERE are the tires rubbing? Are they rubbing on the sidewall or on the tread?
59Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

Busstom: I did notice that the drop spindles were kind of rusty and wondered if they should have been painted. I wondered about the narrowed beam but don't really want to get into tearing my front end completely apart during prime driving season.

VACP: The passenger side front tire is rubbing the sidewall on the inside lip of the fender when the wheels are straight and the suspension gets compressed. There is enough clearance on the driver's side to get my fingers between the tire and the fender when the suspension is compressed by me standing on the front bumper. Thanks for the info on Diamondback Tires, I'll have a look there and see what I can find.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

Another option is a smaller tire and porta walls
59Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:

I thought of that also but saw a video from Chris Vallone on Youtube that said it's risky installing porta walls on anything smaller than a 165.
VACP Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

59Canadian wrote:
Dan2973 wrote:

I thought of that also but saw a video from Chris Vallone on Youtube that said it's risky installing porta walls on anything smaller than a 165.

I watched the portawalls on a buddys car fray at the edges until they failed.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

Possibly an aftermarket passenger fender and/or the camber isn't right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

165s tires often rub when going back with all the wheel turned. 155s do not; i.e. the original tire are 5,60-15 that means: tire width like a 155/80R15, tire diameter as 165/80R15.

A good compromise for me is 165/15 at rear (correct gearing ratio) and 155/15 at the front (no rubbing when turning).
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire rubbing Reply with quote

first off, nice car

yes, 165's are common place but not the correct original size. 155's are closer to original. I never was a Vallone fan... I've used portawalls with no issues on various tire sizes. I don't think I would run drop spindles on 165's
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: