Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 653, 654, 655 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Nice, I also like the index card trick for masking off the tyre to paint.
I must admit it was rather painful to see the rivet too chop into your concrete floor. Perhaps some scrap wood/metal under would be helpful? I'll be back at that job again as my clip broke right off after I tried to bend it ever so slightly.

Link

mikelars wrote:
Ok, got all my hubcap clips replaced and 2 of the wheels painted. Hubcaps stay on now solidly...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Video of the using the Wolfsburg West Hubcap Clip Tool

https://youtu.be/z6_SyI_EbLc

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Today I installed a set of new Chevron mud flaps & brackets. Parts from Retro Bus Parts. Slow Moving Vehicle magnet from them also.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

For my recently purchased 1960 single cab, I met the transporter this morning at 6:30am a few miles from my house and brought it home. Within those 3 miles I could tell this is the most solid running bus or vw single cab that I have ever owned.

Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
For my recently purchased 1960 single cab, I met the transporter this morning at 6:30am a few miles from my house and brought it home. Within those 3 miles I could tell this is the most solid running bus or vw single cab that I have ever owned.

Wow, I love that single cab. Best of luck with it, it has a great look!
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Three questions about making a 1966 split bus quiet:

1. I have these rugged truck tires on there now but am considering getting some 205/75/14 wide whitewall radial tires to match my newly painted wheels and chrome hubcaps. Wondering how much road noise a good set of radials will reduce compared to the knobby truck tires?

2. I am considering insulating my entire engine compartment with this stuff:
https://www.b-quiet.com/products/hliner
Does anyone have experience insulating an entire engine compartment (minus the side air intake vents)? If so what did you use and how much did it help?

3. Also it looks like some bay buses have a firewall sheet covering the fuel tank, but I never have seen that on a split. Seems like this could also help with engine noise if one side was sound insulated?

I am really trying to make the effort to make my bus quieter - but the performance exhaust on the 1904 is not a very quiet engine, and my rugged truck tires are currently LOUD. Any good suggestions and I would probably try it...

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

what kind of interior do you have?

full interior with headliner, full panels, maybe a westy bed and a mattress above the engine will do a lot to quiet down a bus.

tires are a big factor, no doubt.

what other noises do you hear? rattling cargo doors are a big one, put in all the rubbers.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

IMO. Rear wi dow looks like shit..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Sold the '65 today to a guy that does Body work, sad to see it go, but it was way more work than I wanted to do........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Sold the '65 today to a guy that does Body work, sad to see it go, but it was way more work than I wanted to do........

there is wisdom in them words

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Sold my 1960 Bugeye Sprite yesterday for the very same reason.

crukab wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Spridget's just as good.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

For the first time since I put the 2110 in (around '95), I had her towed home. She wouldn't even click, nor would the lights dim, when I tried to start. I've been screwing around with the dash wiring and suspect I may have dislodged the solenoid lead from the ignition switch. It was humiliating, but it was too hot to mess with it, so I called AAA.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:

Wow, I love that single cab. Best of luck with it, it has a great look!

Thanks. It runs like a champ, store inside away from bad weather and just received the truck plate on Friday. I love driving it and also using it for DIY jobs.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
IMO. Rear wi dow looks like shit..

I have never been a fan of safari windows in old single cabs, panels or buses. Although it is nice open when driving around here in hot humid weather. I will probably buy a set of stock windows and rubber with plans of replacing them but right now I have other priorities.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:

Geez, did that truck ever haul anything in the bed? That's beautiful!
Is the dash rust courtesy of the safaris or was it without windshields for some time?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

Geez, did that truck ever haul anything in the bed? That's beautiful!
Is the dash rust courtesy of the safaris or was it without windshields for some time?

I am not sure it did due to the lack of dents in the bed. I thought it was in great shape. The seller sent me an additional 109 photos of the undercarriage and truck bed, plus treasure chest. There might be some patina and rust holes on the body but the bed cross members and frame are solid. Even the steel around the rust holes on the body are solid.

I cannot confirm any history on the truck except I was told it sat outside the west Texas sunshine, a driver, for many year. With the rust on the dash, behind the front seat and along the edge of the seats I am guessing at one time it sat for a while without windshields thus the possible reason the safaris were installed. Just a wild guess.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Because it was the easiest to diagnose, I crawled underneath to see if maybe the lead to the starter solenoid had come loose. It had! Easy fix and I didn't even get dirty.

At the same time that the engine refused to start, the rear door handle broke off from excessive closing pressure over 25 years. I ordered a full set of keyed-alike handles from WW. Will have to see about reducing the pressure.

Also bit the bullet and ordered a Retrosounds Hermosa.

Not much work, but quite a bit of money.
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

skip2th wrote:
Today I installed a set of new Chevron mud flaps & brackets. Parts from Retro Bus Parts. Slow Moving Vehicle magnet from them also.

We are Resto Bus Parts Very Happy (not Retro).

Thank you for your purchase , I hope you don't mind me using your picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

skip2th wrote:

Is that the fabled and legendary genuine truck bumper?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Drove it on a bunch of errands.
My wife's modern car was in the shop so we had to use the Bus for everything.
Typical modern car!

Found an original dealer folder from the selling dealer to match my plate frame:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 653, 654, 655 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 654 of 680

Jump to: