Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New concrete floor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Whats your favourite topping for a fresh concrete slab, both for summer weddings and winter car parking.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Whats your favourite topping for a fresh concrete slab, both for summer weddings and winter car parking.

10W-30 Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
calvinater wrote:

10W-30 Wink

But how much zinc?, and what about after break in?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Cmon guys , this is for a customer , and i know coatings have evolved recently.

Anyone with experience with an epoxy type coating?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

I used a 2 part epoxy floor paint on my shop floor 21 years ago, looks great and is easy to clean, I've scrootched off a few spots dragging heavy shit on it, and there's some spots wearing thin in high traffic areas, but overall it's way better than bare concrete.
No doubt formulas have improved, or maybe not, the stuff today may be "environmentally friendly", we all know how that's a long way to spell "sucks".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I used a 2 part epoxy floor paint on my shop floor 21 years ago, looks great and is easy to clean, I've scrootched off a few spots dragging heavy shit on it,

I want one of these epoxy coatings but I am concerned about floor jacks and stands causing a fubar situation.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
I used a 2 part epoxy floor paint on my shop floor 21 years ago, looks great and is easy to clean, I've scrootched off a few spots dragging heavy shit on it,

I want one of these epoxy coatings but I am concerned about floor jacks and stands causing a fubar situation.

I followed the instructions and etched it first, jacks and stands have no effect on it, it did scrape off in places when dragging a milling machine across it, and a few other places where heavy sharp things dug in, the stuff beside the scrapes is still stuck fine.
The only thing that's marked it is where a battery leaked and I didn't find it for months (bubbled up) and one place where I put newspaper flyers under a caliper job and the brake fluid soaked through and transferred the ink.

We also put poly sheeting under the slab before we poured it, the lack of moisture from below may play a part in the formula.

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

The question is....are you looking for some kind of "chemical proof" barrier...or just a good sealed surface that is easy to keep uniform and clean looking?

If you need it sealed....there are numerous excellent two part epoxy systems like those being described.

As BD is getting at...like everything....prep is key and yes....keeping moisture from the backside will make it stay attached longer.

The other issue with ANYTHING epoxy based....is humidity while mixing and pouring. It can screw up curing and adhesion.

If you are just looking for a good looking smooth floor that makes cleaning up spills better....use a "dry-shake" style concrete dye....with a float concrete style application. Some use "integrally colored" concrete...where they add dye to teh concrete.

Then when its still wet....add a "dry shake" dye on top. With float style concrete....you leave a thin film of water on the top as it cures. This makes that slick polished type orf concrete you find inside of houses and buildings where the concrete will not be covered.

It makes a tighter surface. And...with a dry shake dye,....if you screw it up you can re-dye it to some extent. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&...4HuYsywKAI

It's a new slab, so it needs to fully cure before anything gets painted on or soaked in.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Definitely using plastic, wire mesh, and probably fibre mesh in mix. Trouble is customer wants to use for wedding less than two weeks after placing concrete, they have no idea of timing, or what it takes to make things last.

Probably gonna have to clean , etch, epoxy after it has been used. Not ideal but
It is what it is. Any thing we can add to mix to avoid having to top coat?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

How big is the slab? If they want a wedding on it two weeks after the pour, I'd sell them on some of those click-together rubber tiles. Standing on concrete for hours is no fun, a cushioned tile makes life much easier. Then, they can properly wait for the cure to put whatever topcoat they want. I haven't done the epoxy coatings personally, but I know people that have with no issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

I'll bet you can rent some great big rugs from an event company, that'll make it pretty and hopefully protect it until it's fully cured.

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Rugs are a good idea.

If you really want something all over, try the click-together plastic tiles (either solid or mesh), and you can be clever and start with a pattern with their name or wedding date spelled out, then reconfigure them to something else (cheered flag, red/white/blue, etc) after, at little expense.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Not just rugs, but you can also rent dance floor.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
RIX70Bay Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

I am currently building a steel building type garage and thinking of an epoxy coating on the floor. What do you guys think of the two-part epoxy kit they sell at Lowes?

1970 7 Passenger Bus (Rose)
1968 Square back (Baby Huey)
1970 Standard Bug
1951 Crosley Super
1968 Camaro (Gifted to my son)
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

You can get epoxy resin coatings for new concrete. It all comes down to using the right primer.

This is info from a UK company that I used for my domestic garage floor paint, but I'd bet there are equivalents in the US.

https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/content/17-new-concrete-slab-new-concrete-slab

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

https://blueandgreentomorrow.com/spend/understanding-pros-cons-epoxy-floors/
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

Just found an old can, the stuff I used was Amerlock 400 high solids epoxy coating, no complaints after 21 years.

Слава Україні!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New concrete floor Reply with quote

thanks to everyone who responded, i am a carpenter not a concrete ace, just trying to get the best results for the customer, concrete guy has no opinion on topping, not my choice of contractor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: