Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulsating RPM 1971 bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

I have a 1971 bus with the 1600 dual-port engine, I have the matching carburetor and dual vacuum advanced distributor for this bus but I can't seem to get it to idle at a constant speed. I've checked for air leaks I've set the points, the valves are set. On cold start it chokes and runs as it should but once it's warm I have a pulsating RPM, it will idle at about 850 RPM for about 30 to 45 seconds and then the RPM will increase to about 1300 and then once again it will go back to about 850. I have set up the timing with a strobe to the best of my ability reading the instructions on how to do it for this model but I just can't seem to eliminate RPM fluctuating at idle. What should I be checking next.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

Does it repeat the symptom over and over perpetually?, or just once after closing the throttle?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

Try a different distributor. Almost anything. See if it changes
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

No, it does it continually as long as it's sitting there running. I just kind of did a test and I plugged both vacuum lines from the distributor at the carburetor side and it idles fine without that pulse happening. So would it be something wrong with that distributor. I'm pretty sure those lines are hooked up right, the one coming out of the front of the canister goes to the port at the front of the carb and the one at the rear of the canister goes to the side port of the carb.
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

Sorry said that wrong, the gose on the front of the canister gose to the side of carb and the one on the back goes to front of carb.
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

Well I pulled the distributor and I put I knew one in that I had kicking around and guess what the problem seems fixed Plus I was having some hesitation it just seemed to lack power when you stepped on the gas and that seems to have disappeared as well so I'm guessing all that money I spent on this distributor to match it up with the carb has a problem with it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
Sorry said that wrong, the gose on the front of the canister gose to the side of carb and the one on the back goes to front of carb.

This looks rather like stereotypical "Essex boys'" spelling, from the perspective of someone who also lives in Essex!?!

bug_n_67 wrote:
I have a 1971 bus with the 1600 dual-port engine, I have the matching carburetor and dual vacuum advanced distributor for this bus but I can't seem to get it to idle at a constant speed. I've checked for air leaks I've set the points, the valves are set. On cold start it chokes and runs as it should but once it's warm I have a pulsating RPM, it will idle at about 850 RPM for about 30 to 45 seconds and then the RPM will increase to about 1300 and then once again it will go back to about 850. I have set up the timing with a strobe to the best of my ability reading the instructions on how to do it for this model but I just can't seem to eliminate RPM fluctuating at idle. What should I be checking next.

Noting that you are located in Great Britain, it might help to clarify whether you have a 1971 VW 1600 Type 2 with a British & European specification AD-Series engine or a North American specification AE-Series engine

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:

The "front" of the carb should be up against the fan shroud, do you mean "back"?, as in the side that's facing you when looking into the engine compartment over the back bumper?

The nipple on the sloped side of the vacuum can (the side facing away from the distributor) goes to the nipple on the left side of the distributor. The nipple on the side of the vacuum can facing the distributor goes to the nipple on the back of the carb, the one pointing right at you when you look in from behind the bus.

If that's how you had it hooked up and it was surging your throttle plate adjustment may need work, if you had it backwards try it the other way and see if it still does it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

Based on what you said I did have them hooked up correctly. With the new distributor in the problem seems to have gone away if so right now I'll stick with that.
And that would be Essex Ontario Canada just in case you wanted to know.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsating RPM 1971 bus Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
Based on what you said I did have them hooked up correctly. With the new distributor in the problem seems to have gone away if so right now I'll stick with that.
And that would be Essex Ontario Canada just in case you wanted to know.

I wondered what the ON signified! One of the hazards of using abbreviations, is that they can be easily & disasterously misinterpreted. I believe there is also a London, Ontario too! In Great Britain, Essex is VERY close to London; the London borough of Havering being in Essex.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: