Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to get paint off? Colour overtop original
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipsoiree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

Hi, any info on if it is possible to get this yellow and the burgundy layers off in order to get down to the original (i think) sage green on my '77 bus would be great! it can be scratched off but it would take an eternity and risk scratching the green. Is there a product that could be helpful in this instance?
Thanks for any input!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

I used Citrastrip recently to remove a respray. Just try a small area to make sure it doesn’t damage the original paint.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
chipsoiree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I was wondering if a product like this would work, I guess the original paint must be tougher than the respray. I will try this out.
60BlackBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

Oven cleaner. I think it was on this forum that I read that...haven't tried it myself.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

60BlackBug wrote:
Oven cleaner. I think it was on this forum that I read that...haven't tried it myself.

Tried oven cleaner at the shop, the original heavy duty formula stuff worked great, but then they changed the formula and the new safer stuff does nothing.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
60BlackBug wrote:

Tried oven cleaner at the shop, the original heavy duty formula stuff worked great, but then they changed the formula and the new safer stuff does nothing.

Last time I used it I got some cheap stuff from the $1 store and it worked.
I have a feeling it was the old formula being clearanced out or not originally from the USA
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chipsoiree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wow this oven cleaner from the dollar store worked really well! thanks for the tip.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get paint off? Colour overtop original Reply with quote

There are two formulae usually used for oven cleaner. I used to work in manufacturing of these.

One is heavily caustic and the other not. I would think it is the one that is the caustic version that you are needing.

I have successfully used the caustic version of spray on oven cleaner to remove the glue from the front firewall area when the carpet gets taken off. If reacts with the glue and you are left with a soft foamy material which just scrapes off with a plastic scraper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: