Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Moving on to the next project. Suspension mods. Its up in the air ready to get stripped down. Update coming soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

splitter looks good. Glad to see more progress on the way! Thanks for the update.
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Very nice. Really like the aero mods. Keep it up.
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Well I got more done on it but nothing really picture worth since everything still looks about the same. I didnt actually get everything done that I was hoping. I got my one main thing done and that was fixing the heim angle on the spindle for my steering arms. It is now perfectly centered at ride height. I also did an alignment. Everything, and I mean everything, was off, front and rear. Now it is all perfect again.

Other then that, the Bug has been put on hold yet again. Its getting hot out so its not like I am going to be driving it anyways. Instead, I have been working on my Jeeps. I am restoring one of them and I use the other as my off road machine. The one I am restoring is going to become my new DD in a few months so I got some work to do! Already built and installed a new engine, overhauled the entire front suspension, shocks, brakes, tires, redid the entire cooling system and a whole heck of a lot more stuff. Now I just have to put in a new heater core, redo the headliner, add a nice sound system, paint it and then possibly back to working on the Bug.

Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Yep, I am still here. Bug is, well, still sitting and collecting dust in the garage. So no update on it. However, it came out in another article. Enjoy.

https://www.hotcars.com/25-amazing-home-built-race-cars-from-around-the-world/

sqcomp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for on this site.

Thank you for your inspiration! I read your comment about posting on other site because of the purity factor here. Well...I’m right there with you on “Frankensteining” a VW Beetle. Fortunately I have the support of a shop...as my skill set isn’t as wide as yours.

I bought a 74 roller and have disassembled it to the point of just prior to body removal. The shop I’m working with is a Honda shop, so we’re transplanting a K24 (2.4L) into it with a Honda tranny. The block and head is at Golden Eagle getting sleeved, new pistons, rods, bearings, springs, retainers...and all the machine work to go along with the medium frame turbo sitting in a box.

I grabbed a full cage kit for the inevitable sub 9-second run. Your cage work is neat to look at and work from. Since we have lifts AND because we need it serviceable because of the inevitable abuse breakdowns, we’ll do the subframe like you were talking about with the other member.

We want to drag the crap out of ours and are using your example as proof of concept along with the other K20 swaps out in the VW world. Unfortunately we won’t be able to drag at Bug-In events as I’m reading the rules (not even outlaw turbo class 😢)...we’ll stick with the NHRA and IFO events to make V8 people cry

Thank you again!
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

This is great! I’m doing the same thing (kinda) with an old zenn ev. I have a stock rebuilt 2.0 and it’ll likely be an automatic as it’s just going to be a drag car. The car only weighs 900 lbs so it should be enough fun n/a for now. Did you need to cut down the cv shafts? My current fitment issue is getting it to fit within the body... it’s 10” narrower than the donor cavalier so that’s a concern. I’d like this thing to still look stock when done.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Oh hey everyone. Been a while. I still have the Bug. Havent driven it in over a year now for multiple reasons. First reason, had a kid. He has been quite the handful for the past year and a half or so. Then I decided I needed 2 more project cars. So I now have an 06 Evo and a 09 Cobalt SS that have turned into never ending projects. The Evo is my new race car, took home a couple 1st place finishes last year and the Cobalt will be my new DD one of these days. To top all that off, I had someone give me an offer that was too good to resist to buy the engine out of my Bug. So out it came. The Bugs new engine is back in but not running yet. Maybe in another month or so. Progress is slow these days. Hope everyone is doing good in this time of madness!

Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Well if anyone is still following, the Bug is finally running again with its new engine. New engine is a direct injected 2.4L Ecotec. Should make about 200 whp. Wont be as fun as the last 2 engines but will be fun enough. Once I get it all back together, its going up for sale. I just dont have enough time to enjoy it anymore. I will post a video when I get time to upload it.

7sam7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

you sir have some wicked skills !

what do you figure you want for the bug?
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Thanks Sam. I really dont know what its worth since its so one of a kind. Its going to take the right buyer to get what I want which is still less than what I have in it. I know I will never get that amount and I knew that going in. Most likely, I will post it up for $20k and go from there. If it sells, cool. If it doesnt, the price will drop (to a certain point) until it sells. There is a certain number that if it doesnt sell by, I am keeping it.

7sam7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

I wish you luck, sad that we never get out of them what we put in to them

Again awesome build !!!
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

I've been off the samba for a while now, and am just now seeing this thread.
Cool build! it's pretty wild. I'm really curious what organizations you're running with? With such extensive modifications, I'd imagine that SCCA and NASA would automatically throw you into the Open class without a doubt.

I used to run with a group called UFO that had a VOSP group (vintage open street prepared) but when I swapped to a watercooled engine, I was no longer eligible.

Your situation reminds me of mine. I just recently bought my bug back, which I had sold like 7 years ago. I sold it when my family was growing, and I basically felt guilty for going racing and spending time building the car. I also was afraid of potential accidents in such an unsafe car. But after I sold it, I regretted it immensely. You've gotta do what you've gotta do, but I'll suggest that you just don't rush into it. And be picky about who you sell it to.

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Thanks for the good words. I run it in the NMCA west series (Fontana Speedway). Every class is pretty much an open class with the only restriction being 200 tread wear tires. The class its in is pretty much anything pre 1978. So Camaros, Novas, Mustangs, Vettes and so on. Pretty much every one of them is LS swapped and has over 500hp. There is a Ecotec powered Vega this year that has been destroying everyone which is pretty cool.

Since the Bug has been parked, I have been using my Evo in the same series. I get stuck in the sports car class which is filled with Porches, Lambos, 700hp Vettes and such. I am the only 4 cylinder car in the class and probably have the least amount of power but still manage 1st every now and then!

I am going to be moving soon and going to build a custom house so the Bug may stay with me a bit longer than expected. Who knows. I may sell it before the house just so I dont have to store it somewhere while my house is being built but that would mean I need to finish putting it back together. With how crazy life has been since the whole virus thing started, I honestly have no time to do anything. It seems like everything is just on hold right now until time frees up again, which will most likely be when the house sells.

Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Back to working on this thing. It shall be finished tonight. After that, I am taking it out of my garage and moving it to the showroom at work. Will be getting posted for sale shortly after that. Its been a good 8 year run.

Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Here is the Bugs final resting place. The next update should be when it sells.

Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Mid Engine Bug (Bugzilla) Reply with quote

Bug is officially pending sale. Will be getting relocated to TX.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: