Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Change After Initial Break In
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Engine is in the Ghia and I’ve ran it for 15-20 minutes to break in the cam. Also ran the engine 4-5 times setting timing, carbs, ran around the block etc. Should I change out the oil now or leave it and run it for a while?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

You should change it, if for no other reason than to rinse out any extraneous sealant residue and see if it has metal in it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Change the oil and adjust the valves. Again at 300 miles and again at 1000 miles.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Yes, you want to get all the debris from the cam break in and rings seating.

I would do it at 200/500/1000/3000.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Still use a mineral 'break-in' oil though if you do change it to help the rings bed in.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

If you run a full flow filter, I like to cut the filter that was used on break in open, just to check what was picked up.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Run it one more time and get her hot before dumping the oil. You want to let it drain for a long time to try and get as much metals particles out.

Don't be alarmed to see the oil having a pearl-essence look to it.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

The oil has a gasoline smell to it. Figured I would drain it tonight. Run it for minute to check and make sure the thermostat is adjusted where I want it then drain all the oil. The gas smell isn't terrible strong but you can definitely smell fuel. It doesn't seem to have any pearl look to it. I used that Royal Purple break in oil. Looks black with a slight purple tint to it.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Should I put break in oil back in it or just run the oil I plan to use normally? I am planning on using Valvoline VR1 10-30 with the higher zinc content for its regular diet, but not sure if that should go in now or after the next oil change.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

If you have breakin oil use it, but if not the VR-1 is good
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

you should of changed it befor the run around the block witch may of bypassed the filter sending all that breakin debris to the bearings.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
Should I put break in oil back in it or just run the oil I plan to use normally? I am planning on using Valvoline VR1 10-30 with the higher zinc content for its regular diet, but not sure if that should go in now or after the next oil change.

I’d dump it cold rather than running it one more time on that oil. Pull the valve covers and clean them as debris normally accumulates at the edge of the gasket where it protrudes slightly above the valve cover bottom.
What oil was used for break-in?
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
carguytroy wrote:

I’d dump it cold rather than running it one more time on that oil. Pull the valve covers and clean them as debris normally accumulates at the edge of the gasket where it protrudes slightly above the valve cover bottom.
What oil was used for break-in?

Royal Purple break in oil is what I used. Im going to drain it cold, run it a bit then change it again. oil is cheaper than another rebuild.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
you should of changed it befor the run around the block witch may of bypassed the filter sending all that breakin debris to the bearings.

That's encouraging. I ran it maybe 100 yards total. Down to the corner and back. Around the block is a slight exaggeration. Very slight. Smile
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
If you have breakin oil use it, but if not the VR-1 is good
Right on, think I'll snag some more break in oil if thats better. Oil is cheaper than another rebuild. Think I said that already. True though.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change After Initial Break In Reply with quote

the oil filters have a rubber/silycone flapper & some have spring too in them for a bypass valve...all it take is a little presure differential between the incomming and out going oil. it dont take a lot to bypass that especialy when the filter is already cloged with 1 cam lube that clogs filters,2 the debris that comes off the rings/cylinders,lifters,lobes.and any thing else thats "breaking in"(pushrod tips,rocker tips&adjusters, gears). thats a lot of fine abrasive..and a filter thats already over whelmed with cam lube creating a restriction..thus opening the bypass valve and sending that shit to the bearings....go figure there is a reason for doing a few oil/filter changes in the first week!! and why more than 1?? because that cam lube will take quite some time to all get out as it slings off and sticks and settels..and comes up when it wants to and gets cought in the filter.thus do a filter/oil change at the 35-40 min mark, and run some more so not so much settels in the sump. or...why bother changing it at all.it's still slipery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: