Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus air cleaners
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonzalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
gonzalo wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
dusty conditions/cyclone filter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i'm sure RickC has more pics/info of this set up.

I have this same setup in a 63 double cab delivered to Chile (dusty conditions Laughing )

anyone know where I can find the rubbers? specially the one from the cyclone to the engine tin.

thanks!

The upper one looks like a stock rubber connector:

And the lower one, possibly this style, cut to fit?

Thanks for your answer!
Yes that one is a standard spare part: 211-129-627
The other one is the difficult to find... the one that comes out of the cyclone...
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Another pic of dusty conditions with cyclone filter (stolen from another thread)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Here is an interesting one due to the oil filler hose connection is on the other side like this is supposed to be slung on the RH side of the engine. Images from the classified advert:

The below updated, got the correct part number from the seller.
Looks like part number 261 129 613 B, it is listed in the parts manual as for 30BHP which is 36HP SAE.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Here is an interesting one due to the oil filler hose connection is on the other side like this is supposed to be slung on the RH side of the engine.

this is the typical early~ish 40hp style. it's even shown in several versions of the owner's manual.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

this is the typical early~ish 40hp style. it's even shown in several versions of the owner's manual.

So it must have been designed during the brief time the Bastard 40 HP engine, since it is listed for 30BPH. Which the Bastard 40 HP only put out 30 BPH (36 HP SAE).
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2384606

Not mine, but interesting set up

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Rare as all get out. Shouldn't the long piece be flipped 180 degrees?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

I have one of those in my parts hoard as well; sadly the pipe has been butchered

aerosilver wrote:
Found this one recently..

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Hi Guys I would like to add to this topic by asking about air cleaner decals specifically 40 hp like the one in the pic
I am trying to find out which decal is the stock type and where is to be located
Please see the one offered in the link
https://project-therapy.com/collections/decals/products/early-air-cleaner-decal

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

I am not 100% for Bus but make sure you check out this recent Ghia Forum thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748006
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rjelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Just found this NOS mount - I hope it's for my dusty oil bath filter. Could not find any information based on the part number: 261 613 503. Think it's for welding in. Anyone seen this before?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

rjelli wrote:
Just found this NOS mount - I hope it's for my dusty oil bath filter. Could not find any information based on the part number: 261 613 503. Think it's for welding in. Anyone seen this before?

Does sort of look like it is for the dusty conditions air cleaner, but not exactly like one we have seen before. If it is it should not be welded in. Lots of good info here on how to install in the "Fuel Systems":

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletin_k.php

If the "613" of the part number is correct, that "6" is for brakes and wheels.
rjelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
rjelli wrote:

Does sort of look like it is for the dusty conditions air cleaner, but not exactly like one we have seen before. If it is it should not be welded in. Lots of good info here on how to install in the "Fuel Systems":

Thanks for the quick reply. I read somewhere here that there were 2 version available, one was for welding. Will post pictures once ok installed - if it fits😉
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

If you look at the "261" and compare the font of the "6" in that supposed "613", it looks like it should be a "5" not a "6". So "261 513 503" means the "5" in the "513" is for rear axle, of course it could just possibly be an incorrect part number completely....
rjelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

rjelli wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
rjelli wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I read somewhere here that there were 2 version available, one was for welding. Will post pictures once ok installed - if it fits😉

Meanwhile I found out. In fact it’s a oil bath air filter bracket for single or double cab split.
Open for trade with holder for panel van bracket.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

rjelli wrote:

Meanwhile I found out. In fact it’s a oil bath air filter bracket for single or double cab split.
Open for trade with holder for panel van bracket.

Single/double cabs and panels use the same bracket for 1500 engine.

Here are some images of the engine compartment roof mount for the 1500 engine. Only difference between the 1963 thru 1967 era is the bracket moved from left hand to right hand side.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you look at the "261" and compare the font of the "6" in that supposed "613", it looks like it should be a "5" not a "6". So "261 513 503" means the "5" in the "513" is for rear axle, of course it could just possibly be an incorrect part number completely....

I believe it is actually an “813,” since it is a body panel and installs at the vehicle’s rear.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

I believe it is actually an “813,” since it is a body panel and installs at the vehicle’s rear.

Checked the two bus parts manuals and the barn door manual without any luck. Hopefully someone with microfiche will post.

Think this part needs to be posted in its own thread to see if someone can help with this mystery part....
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

Stupid question time...

If I have a '63 Bus 1200cc type oil filter that attaches to the fan shroud could I replace the 3 clamp stock air filter with the larger 4 clamp 1500cc Bus air filter? I understand those originally had a body mounted elbow bracket and a rubber tube to a carb elbow. My thought was to use the larger filter while keeping the original 40 horse layout.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus air cleaners Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Stupid question time...

If I have a '63 Bus 1200cc type oil filter that attaches to the fan shroud could I replace the 3 clamp stock air filter with the larger 4 clamp 1500cc Bus air filter? I understand those originally had a body mounted elbow bracket and a rubber tube to a carb elbow. My thought was to use the larger filter while keeping the original 40 horse layout.

Not enough room for that.

If you are not drag racing it, then the 40HP air cleaner is fine. Have used such on our 1641cc SP engine for over 150,000 since the last rebuild. Just requires getting the jetting in the carb correct, but that is what anyone needs to do with any engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: