Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
hi great you got it back together . would you mind if i asked you where you got your new arm 500 super charger from ? i would like to buy one but i dont want to get a bad one . thanks please post photos of your new super charger i want to see how you made the new mount for your new super charger many thanks spencerfvee

basically the same mount, the bottom mounting point on my old super charger was in direct line vertically of the pulley shafts, the new one was kinda offset, i actually used the old mount but cut it at the bottom and opened it up then re welded the gap and plated the side of it to reinforce it.

i bought both of them on amazon but from different sellers.

the good unit came from motofansclub store
not really sure where the other unit came from to old to get any info

my build for the entire buggy is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686076

the supercharger specifically starts on page 9
.................................................................................................................thats one bad ass looking buggy you made your own look .instead going old school buggy look .that a lot of guys do you should call it the PA looker . why not they got the Cal look lol lol . super great job on your buggy . and thanks for the info . do you ever go to jims custom vws show here in ohio its in columbiana spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Just wondering if leaded gas would help lubricate the rotors or putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

When my engine is ready to go, I'll be putting some data on my Bug's build thread. Megasquirt, draw through TBI, crank fired with wideband and real time intake temp readings. I can possibly even disable my Marvel oiler and use my infrared temp gun to see if it drops blower heat at all.

Also, your "new" supercharger has a steel cover instead of the whole thing being cast. A real Aisin unit is the same. The lobes also look like both of my OEM ones too. You can see the original pulley on mine are closer in size to the one you are using than I usually see on other engines. You really shouldn't have heat issues from the RPM it's spinning.

Your new one also has the round "nubs" cast into it. Here's a mock up pic of using my Aisin that's locked up. I think something fell into it at the junkyard it came from, thats why I have 2. The seller sent me another one. Mine also have an Aisin ID plate you can see in the 3rd pic. I will take apart the one that only partially spins and take some pics of the autopsy. I'll keep what's good for spare parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

hay rock bound. look what i found on ebay its off of a subaru its a super charger inter cooler .if you want to see the add on ebay heres the add number 324631040219 it looks like a vw oil cooler lol you might like to see it spencerfvee

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
Rockbound wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
hi great you got it back together . would you mind if i asked you where you got your new arm 500 super charger from ? i would like to buy one but i dont want to get a bad one . thanks please post photos of your new super charger i want to see how you made the new mount for your new super charger many thanks spencerfvee

basically the same mount, the bottom mounting point on my old super charger was in direct line vertically of the pulley shafts, the new one was kinda offset, i actually used the old mount but cut it at the bottom and opened it up then re welded the gap and plated the side of it to reinforce it.

i bought both of them on amazon but from different sellers.

the good unit came from motofansclub store
not really sure where the other unit came from to old to get any info

my build for the entire buggy is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686076

the supercharger specifically starts on page 9
.................................................................................................................thats one bad ass looking buggy you made your own look .instead going old school buggy look .that a lot of guys do you should call it the PA looker . why not they got the Cal look lol lol . super great job on your buggy . and thanks for the info . do you ever go to jims custom vws show here in ohio its in columbiana spencerfvee

thanks, i was out at jims last year for the show. hoping to make it again this year.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Just wondering if leaded gas would help lubricate the rotors or putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.

i do add lead additive to the fuel just about every time i fill up
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hay rock bound. look what i found on ebay its off of a subaru its a super charger inter cooler .if you want to see the add on ebay heres the add number 324631040219 it looks like a vw oil cooler lol you might like to see it spencerfvee

thats an interesting idea, not sure where i would fit that though.. lol
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

just got home from dubs on the lake this past weekend, car ran great drove around all day saturday no issues, barley got hot, and it was HOT out.. Time will tell but i feel pretty good about this new unit.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
just got home from dubs on the lake this past weekend, car ran great drove around all day saturday no issues, barley got hot, and it was HOT out.. Time will tell but i feel pretty good about this new unit.

Awesome. Keep us posted when you some mileage in.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
.....................................................................................................................great i am happy for you that it is running great . spencerfvee
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

I think those old coated lobes were tight, possiably to "wear in" and give good prersure...untill it got hot from rubbing and came appart.I think you will be good to go now.have fun!!!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

What an awful disappointment to do so much and blow it up from unknown causes.

I used to race MG's. Blowing up was my specialty.

So sympathies @rockbound
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:

So sympathies @rockbound

yeah all in the process i guess live and learn.. sucks, but shortly after fixing, i ended up smoking cylinder 3 on the turnpike.. so out with the super charger altogether and in with a new stroker 2276 Twisted Evil
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

poop.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
Ulu wrote:

So sympathies @rockbound

yeah all in the process i guess live and learn.. sucks, but shortly after fixing, i ended up smoking cylinder 3 on the turnpike.. so out with the super charger altogether and in with a new stroker 2276 Twisted Evil
....................................... sorry to hear about your motor . you tryed your best with the super charger . good luck spencerfvee
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Sad news. . .
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

figure out if it was the super shit in the motor or somethen else!!!
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
Ulu wrote:

So sympathies @rockbound

Would you recommend buying the same supercharger from that vendor?

I bought a junk one like yours that also destroyed itself. I see the same vendor selling the one you had bought to fix it on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264418564613
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Amr500 failure what could cause this? Pics Reply with quote

Run a bit of 2 stroke oil in the fuel.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: