Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today In Bug Hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorvallisKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Here's a nice find for sale. Luke ('A-Step-Towards') sent this link to me. He's not the owner. I don't know if the actual owner's planning on doing an impromptu auction or what. Think

1963 Convertible for sale. Should fetch more than $4k these days.

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/sisters-1963-convertible-bug/7325881513.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

1964 for $1800 in Pittsboro NC, 49k miles, looks like a good deal to me.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/bynum-vw-beetle/7325997199.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A-Step-Towards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Wonder if that came from Oregon at one point, Tillamook Cheese sticker. Looks like a dry car and solid deal.
CorvallisKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Somebody in CA or OR, please go rescue this one.

1962 Ragtop Beetle with what looks like mostly original sheet metal. The rear clip may have been replaced sometime, but has what looks like original red paint everywhere else. Hard to tell from these pics. Needs front seats and work, but looks fairly rust free. Good heater channels and other lower areas, dash is uncut. Would be a great project.

http://thecarsoftulelake.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bug-rag-top/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Just pulled in this 1966 today.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CorvallisKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Just pulled in this 1966 today.

Very cool. I’ve driven for hours around Linn, Benton, Polk, etc and haven’t found anything but Baja’s and late models. It’s picked clean around here (at least what can be seen from the roads.)

But if you want US trucks, they’re a dime a dozen. Too bad I’m not into the three window Chevy’s. I’d be stoked. They’re everywhere, just rusting away in yards.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

yup looks like a late 66 judging by the door handles. nice find! what are your plans for it?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
yup looks like a late 66 judging by the door handles. nice find! what are your plans for it?

A guy needed it off his property, so I bought it for $150 I have no plans for it yet.

Maybe patch the pan. Hang some bumpers on it. Throw in a 40 horse & make it drive, then sell it idk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Here's a nice little '65 Java green beetle I hunted for a few yrs, stopped by once again this year on my way to the BNNTA campout up at Mark Twain Lake here in Missouri on Labor Day weekend. The nice couple finally decided to let the car go as they realized they were not going to be able to revive it at any point in the future. They bought it from a local dealership in the mid '80s, drove it for a short period of time...he thinks they only put a few thousand miles on it. It then got parked in one barn,moved to another, then into the newer machine shed some years ago. Car was originally sold new in Madison,WI

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

I've been away from the Vw world for a while, but I ended up finding, and buying quite a few Beetles this year, starting with an original paint 1960 that got me back in and is almost back on the road that I bought on January 1st.

Then in April, a friend told me someone had bought some land near him and was clearing all the cars and junk off the property, of which there were several Vws. I ended up buying 7 cars and a building full of parts there.

Went through a couple cars and stuff this summer, then August came and another friend told me of a similar deal, but in town, and I ended up buying 3 Beetles there.

And a couple weekends ago I hit a garage sale with a bunch of car parts and ended up finding these gems.

It has been a good year to get back into Vws. Smile
1Badmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

I picked up this beetle recently. I’m told it was the owner’s personal car of a VW restoration shop in New Hampshire. The place was called Old Volks Home. I got it from the first owner after it was restored by them. Has a 1776, freeway flyer trans, dropped beam. Nice little car. Needs a respray because it wasn’t prepped properly. The paint is peeling in areas. Runs great.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

1Badmanx wrote:
I picked up this beetle recently. I’m told it was the owner’s personal car of a VW restoration shop in New Hampshire. The place was called Old Volks Home. I got it from the first owner after it was restored by them.

Very nice.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Recently picked this up from a buddy. 1962 convertible that he bought back in 09 and parked in his garage and hasn’t moved since. 60k OG miles with tons of documentation since new.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Wow, awesome!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
Recently picked this up from a buddy. 1962 convertible that he bought back in 09 and parked in his garage and hasn’t moved since. 60k OG miles with tons of documentation since new.

Beautiful! This one deserves a thread!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
Recently picked this up from a buddy. 1962 convertible that he bought back in 09 and parked in his garage and hasn’t moved since.

So WHY did he do that ?????

What kind of deal did you get? Did you have to marry his sister, mom, cousin - or all three ?????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Question I don’t get it,
Bug hunting, finding a bug in friends garage, is like shooting fish in barrel, Though I’ve never attempted shooting fish in a barrel..must be the term has taking on a different meaning/definition? Maybe video games has made us lazy.
Just my thought.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

You'd spend your whole life hunting for a gem like that out in the wild by yourself. You have a very good friend there.
These days you just hire a guide & start pulling in the big ones, lol

Nice score regardless!
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Question I don’t get it,
Bug hunting, finding a bug in friends garage, is like shooting fish in barrel, Though I’ve never attempted shooting fish in a barrel..must be the term has taking on a different meaning/definition? Maybe video games has made us lazy.
Just my thought.

Trust me I’ve pulled plenty of bugs out of the woods and fields, many of those don’t get posted here. Sure this coming from a friend can be considered shooting fish in a barrel but it’s just the same as any other barn find car you will see. Every barn find car has a friend that knows of that car, rarely does a car surface that no one knows about. I’ve been trying to get this bug from my buddy for the last 2+ years but he never wanted to sell it. Was finally able to work a deal with him on it and get it pulled out of there. He bought it in 09 but because of a bad knee can’t operate the clutch so he never even sat in it, rolled it off his trailer into his garage and then came out for the first time when it went onto my trailer.

Originally purchased new in New York by a Professor at Cornell for his wife, she drove it occasionally up until 1988. In 88 it was given to their son, a professor at the University of Alabama. In 2000 he gave it to his daughter a Doctor in Idaho who sold it in 09 to my buddy. I have stacks of documents for it essentially documenting every mile. Been in Contact with the Grandson of the original owner and looks like I’ll be receiving original pictures of it here shortly.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today In Bug Hunting History Reply with quote

Looking up my parents' home town on Jalpa, Zacatecas, Mexico in Google Maps and happened to spot this split window bug under plastic. A W-decklid can be seen in the pic as well. From the date (July 2021), this split may still be there.

Zoomed in:

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: