Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Side Tent thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

thank you, I have searched those images before that is how I found the instructions and that mine was the universal van tent...the magnetic tape!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sounds like maybe the flap on the bus specific yellow/blue version is 9" not 26" like my universal, going by the instructions saying to leave 9" of clearance between tent and bus.
WarryBhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I have a Westfalia "circus tent" from the 70's in good condition but it did not come with the tentbag.
I would like to buy a tentbag but does anyone have a tentbag which he/she could measure so I'm buying the right size?
Thanks in advance!
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Okay so I am looking into getting one of these bay window "circus tents" for my split bus. As far as I can tell they will work fine on a split bus?

I checked each page of this thread and saw some pics of them on splitties but no real confirmation about the fitment. Any advice/tips appreciated! Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

I see no reason why they wouldn't fit a split, the driprail is the same on the part that matters. You'll have the pocket for the sliding door against the side of the bus that does nothing for you, but a few strong magnets will seal up any gaps if they bug you.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

My '69 Westfalia camper's m-code plate says that it came with a tent. So, if one of y'all have my tent it would be cool to have it back. Probably a yellow one.

In liew of that happening, I was wondering if anyone has ever modified a EZ-up type shade into a tent? It would be half built for you and it wouldn't take much to fill in the sides. Just have the sides zip onto the rest of it. Those EZ-up's set up in 2 minutes. No poles and lines to fart with.

I bought a walking foot sewing machine from Sailrite.com the other day and they have all the fabric, zippers, hardware, clear plastic for windows, thread etc. to build whatever you can imagine.....they are geared toward boat equipment like sails, dodgers, hatch covers, sail covers and the like. The big billboard companies use that reinforced vinyl product to make those outdoor billboards and they just give the old ones away.....might make cool sides, damn sure weather proof. Not original, but functional perhaps.

Anyone?

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I see no reason why they wouldn't fit a split, the driprail is the same on the part that matters. You'll have the pocket for the sliding door against the side of the bus that does nothing for you, but a few strong magnets will seal up any gaps if they bug you.

Okay that is what I was thinking. I assumed it just attached on the drip rail but was unsure. Thanks! I don't care too much about the pocket of the sliding door and just like you said, magnets would fix that. maybe I'll even get a baywindow in the future. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
My '69 Westfalia camper's m-code plate says that it came with a tent. So, if one of y'all have my tent it would be cool to have it back. Probably a yellow one.

In liew of that happening, I was wondering if anyone has ever modified a EZ-up type shade into a tent? It would be half built for you and it wouldn't take much to fill in the sides. Just have the sides zip onto the rest of it. Those EZ-up's set up in 2 minutes. No poles and lines to fart with.

I bought a walking foot sewing machine from Sailrite.com the other day and they have all the fabric, zippers, hardware, clear plastic for windows, thread etc. to build whatever you can imagine.....they are geared toward boat equipment like sails, dodgers, hatch covers, sail covers and the like. The big billboard companies use that reinforced vinyl product to make those outdoor billboards and they just give the old ones away.....might make cool sides, damn sure weather proof. Not original, but functional perhaps.

Anyone?

My Mom slapped together various awnings and tents to fit Dad's split buses using her singer 155W, your machine can't be much different. Start sewing up some joiner flaps and figuring out where to put snaps, etc.. and see how they fit, there's nothing like failed experiments to make you an expert Wink Even better if you have a source for stuff to experiment with, I'm not kidding about failed projects, we all do it, it's how you learn.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
rugblaster wrote:

Anyone?

My Mom slapped together various awnings and tents to fit Dad's split buses using her singer 155W, your machine can't be much different. Start sewing up some joiner flaps and figuring out where to put snaps, etc.. and see how they fit, there's nothing like failed experiments to make you an expert Wink Even better if you have a source for stuff to experiment with, I'm not kidding about failed projects, we all do it, it's how you learn.

That is why I bought the macihine....to learn....my mom (87yo) can sew like a mfer and I thought she could help me. She don't have walking foot machine to sew heavy fabrics....this machine is a beast. . So far I've made 3 mini bike seats, the old mini bikes like we had in the 60's growing up..I collect a few of these machines. They turned out well. I think I'm going to try this and really jazz up a EZ'UP with stripes and shit.....I'll post pic when I'm done, but it might be a while

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

For the person asking about tent bags, I have 4 side tents and even for the one that has an original bag I instead had tent and pole bags made by Fanchers, an advertiser in the Samba Classifieds and based in Michigan, I think. Of course they’re not originals, but they have a few stock-ish fabric options, the bags are durable, they can be made with pull string or Velcro closure, and they last.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Hi! First post - and first the wealth of knowledge on this site is just amazing.

Trying to identify this tent/awning and if anyone can point me to an image of one assembled.

I’m pretty sure once assembled it will attach to special bar with extensions on the roof rack. Also guessing only the red/white is original with white sections add ons?

I didn’t see any markings when I pulled it out of the bag, but maybe I missed a clue.

Thanks for the help!

mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Ok it’s an canopy...when I have better parking will share a picture installed with the bus.

Once I looked at all of the parts - it made sense. Gotta love that German engineering

TransportersRus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Good evening All,

We have a ASI Side tent for our Riviera (the Blue & Yellow one) and the Zipper has separated from the material. We need to have this fixed and need some recommendations on a good company to do this for us.

Thanks
1988 Transporter T3 Doppelkabine
1990 Transporter T3 Doppelkabine
2013 Beetle Convertible TDI (Hers)
2015 GTI
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Ask the local boat repair outfits who does their tops. Or maybe an auto upholstery shop.

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ask the local boat repair outfits who does their tops. Or maybe an auto upholstery shop.

Great starting point. Think big. In Seattle there are lots of sail and or tent related shops that could easily accommodate this type of work. In Snellville, Georgia who can do this type of work? You will need to look.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Great starting point. Think big. In Seattle there are lots of sail and or tent related shops that could easily accommodate this type of work. In Snellville, Georgia who can do this type of work? You will need to look.

Exactly, you need someone with the equipment and experience in handling large chunks of fabric, it's hard to wrangle a huge pile like a tent through a common sewing machine.

Another industry to ask is truckers, who repairs and builds their tarps?

Edit: also ask the local party rental place who fixes their bouncy castle when it blows a seam.

Слава Україні!
Miskeroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thought I would share my new bay window, circus tent.
It’s in near new condition, set up only couple times. I have read all of the tent threads and am going to share all the info on mine in hopes it will help others identify the differences of the tents over the years.

It’s a 1972, as per the faint stamp near the inside of the front entrance. Also has the inspectors initials there.
It has the brown poles
Blue tie downs attached to the grey base
Arched, zippered windows
Small door and zippered window to attach to the bus
The tent bag is brown, with a sewn in tie at the top
The pole bag is a black Naugahyde with sewn in tie
Stake bag is the orange/yellow tent material
Second smaller stake bag inside, to tie down the blue anchors
Large galvanized stakes and two slightly smaller ones
Tent pegs
And the tie rope

Hope this helps a little
Miskeroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Minty

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Im looking for a modern (easy to set up and take down) side tent for my 72. I know bus depot sells their "add a room" but apparently the vendor who makes them cant get the materials until mid year. Are there any other companies that sell something like this? Stinks having to wait 6 months for bus depot but might be the world we live in now with supply chain issues everywhere.
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

does anyone know the correct canopy for a .74 wetsfalia.
possibly with photos. (not the tent)

Thank you

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: