Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOT sick of these Webers...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: NOT sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Title edited to reflect my stupidity.
The carbs were fine.
I messed up the MSD install and ASSumed the carbs were the issue.

Original post below:

How on earth does anyone deal with these things ???

I swear they are so inconsistent and unreliable I want to smash them with a hammer.

I go over them, getting them dialed in and idling nice... then the next day they run like garbage... loading up, sputtering, not idling worth a crap.

I had this thing purring like a kitten yesterday... and today it will barely run.
It cleans up once it gets off the idle circuit... but runs like complete dogshit at idle.

Am I going to have to pull the carbs and blow out the idle circuit every damn time I drive this thing???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
CB2292 cam + straight cut gears
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Fri May 28, 2021 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Just looking at the pics I'm guessing the air cleaner bases that supports the linkage are flexing.

Throw the hex bar linkage in the trash and replace it with the CSP center pull linkage.

Throw the cheap stamped steel air cleaners in the trash and get the CB cast aluminum housings.
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

funny, I had the same idle problems and got fed up. I found a set of Dells here on the Samba for about five hundred and had them rebuilt. I couldn't believe the difference. It purrs at idle and goes without any hesitation. I'll never go back to Webers.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Just looking at the pics I'm guessing the air cleaner bases that supports the linkage are flexing.

Throw the hex bar linkage in the trash and replace it with the CSP center pull linkage.

Throw the cheap stamped steel air cleaners in the trash and get the CB cast aluminum housings.

x2

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

very rarely is it the carburetors fault for poor running condition. Most often it is set up and adjustment of the carbs, or keeping the air and fuel clean.

now...Im NOT blaming you, just saying that there is a reason the engine is running poorly, and you need to find out why, and them remedy that problem so it doesn't happen again.

they are a very simple mechanical device that runs perfectly when set up correctly. (I have 20K miles on my IDF's with zero maintenance other than keeping the filters clean)

first thing, check idle jets for clogs. Do you have "jet doctors" or equivalent air bleed snorkels installed? if not, it is VERY easy to get a tiny piece of crud (from air or fuel) into the idle circuit and this will very easily plug the idle jets.

as Dave mentioned, that linkage system is less than ideal, but its not going to make the engine run fine one day, and then not the following day.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

More initial timing might help too
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

The CSP linkage is probably one of the best air cooled dual carb developments there is. It's literally a dream to setup, works flawlessly, and has a very clean almost hidden look.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

While you are changing to better air filters tops and bases, get the CB Performance Jet Doctors. They really help with keeping debris from reaching the idle jet curcuit.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Many times bad idle is dirt in idle jets.... Dirt gets past air cleaners and dances across air cleaner floor and into air intake holes for idle jets....... Get a set of JET DOCTORS, it gets air intake for idle jets up near top of crab air cleaner where there is less dirt....

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7557.htm

Also ditch the steel base for air cleaners and get cast aluminum ones, they seal better....

Also put some shields on outer side of air cleaners, rear tires throw dirt right into air cleaners.....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Nice engine setup! There's a lot that could be going on with your concern, one thing is the linkage, can definitely contribute to your issue, I know you mentioned you went through them but it sounds like you're having a major issue with them, I think I would start by completely disassembled in them checking in all the nooks and crannies checking your float levels etc, there might be something that is being overlooked, depends on who you talk to, but the Dell's are a nice set of carbs to run and own, but you should certainly be able to get the Weber's to run real good and have a good idle, and possibly another issue contributing to your problem unrelated to the carburetors?
If there's anything I can help you with feel free to contact me, but there certainly is lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here on the samba

Rick

mcdragracer

Last edited by mcdragracer on Fri May 28, 2021 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culito

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

A mechanical advance distributor definitely did not play well with my Webers. Ran like crap.
I ended up getting a vacuum reference kit with a CB Performance Black Box and it ran perfectly just on the default dual carb timing map.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Those air cleaners look too clean. As if they are not even oiled. How dusty is it where you ride. I really dig your buggy though. I think that’ll be my next VW.
Maybe us Dellorto people are lucky. I haven’t had to touch mine in a year, but I’m pretty much a weekend driver on the roads not in the dirt.
Have a look at all your Heim joints too. See if those are sloppy. That’s thrown me off a time or two in the past.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)

Last edited by jeffrey8164 on Fri May 28, 2021 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

OK...
Figured it out.
Its not the Webers.
I am stupid and 35 years of sniffing gas fumes has killed too many brain cells.
The MSD box took a crap.
I bypassed it to run direct off the points and this is what I got...

Link

5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
A mechanical advance distributor definitely did not play well with my Webers. Ran like crap.
I ended up getting a vacuum reference kit with a CB Performance Black Box and it ran perfectly just on the default dual carb timing map.

I may do this too.
After properly setting up a vac advance distributor in wifes bug, it ran smooth as silk.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Those air cleaners look too clean. As if they are not even oiled. How dusty is it where you ride. I really dig your buggy though. I think that’ll be my next VW.
Maybe us Dellorto people are lucky. I haven’t had to touch mine in a year, but I’m pretty much a weekend driver on the roads not in the dirt.
Have a look at all your Heim joints too. See if those are sloppy. That’s thrown me off a time or two in the past.

I went over all the linkage and used the snail tool.
Its as good as im capable of making it.
Im sure Raby a few miles up the road from me could make it purr like a kitten though.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

mcdragracer wrote:
Nice engine setup! There's a lot that could be going on with your concern, one thing is the linkage, can definitely contribute to your issue, I know you mentioned you went through them but it sounds like you're having a major issue with them, I think I would start by completely disassembled in them checking in all the nooks and crannies checking your float levels etc, there might be something that is being overlooked, depends on who you talk to, but the Dell's are a nice set of carbs to run and own, but you should certainly be able to get the Weber's to run real good and have a good idle, and possibly another issue contributing to your problem unrelated to the carburetors?
If there's anything I can help you with feel free to contact me, but there certainly is lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here on the samba

Rick

mcdragracer

Thanks bud... and you were spot on.
The MSD box is garbage.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Many times bad idle is dirt in idle jets.... Dirt gets past air cleaners and dances across air cleaner floor and into air intake holes for idle jets....... Get a set of JET DOCTORS, it gets air intake for idle jets up near top of crab air cleaner where there is less dirt....

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7557.htm

Also ditch the steel base for air cleaners and get cast aluminum ones, they seal better....

Also put some shields on outer side of air cleaners, rear tires throw dirt right into air cleaners.....

I will upgrade all that stuff soon.
I like the CB cast alum stuff.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
While you are changing to better air filters tops and bases, get the CB Performance Jet Doctors. They really help with keeping debris from reaching the idle jet curcuit.

Already have them in the carbs.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
very rarely is it the carburetors fault for poor running condition. Most often it is set up and adjustment of the carbs, or keeping the air and fuel clean.

now...Im NOT blaming you, just saying that there is a reason the engine is running poorly, and you need to find out why, and them remedy that problem so it doesn't happen again.

they are a very simple mechanical device that runs perfectly when set up correctly. (I have 20K miles on my IDF's with zero maintenance other than keeping the filters clean)

first thing, check idle jets for clogs. Do you have "jet doctors" or equivalent air bleed snorkels installed? if not, it is VERY easy to get a tiny piece of crud (from air or fuel) into the idle circuit and this will very easily plug the idle jets.

as Dave mentioned, that linkage system is less than ideal, but its not going to make the engine run fine one day, and then not the following day.

You are correct. The carbs are fine and im glad i didnt pull them off for nothing.
After bypassing the MSD box, it runs fine on the points.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Soooo sick of these Webers... Reply with quote

This damn thing had me so flustered... I mixed up the wires into the cap and had the coil wire on #3 tower and #3 plug wire in the middle of the distributor cap.
After ringing my ears from the shotgun blast out the muffler... I realized something new was wrong and why it wouldnt start at all.

I think im done with this thing for the day.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: