Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension seat questions.....
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mar-tay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

Looking for a pair of decent suspension seats for my baja, something that fits the OG seat runners in a 70 beetle, that aren't break the bank expensive, relatively durable, and somewhat comfortable. I see a lot of choices out there these days........Thanks!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

Nothing will fit on stock seat runners except stock seats. For other seats, you have to figure out how to adapt them into the car.

The arched seat supports that have been available for many years really do NOT fit the VW floor pan worth what the dog left in the back yard. Ask my son who decided to ignore what I told him and wasted his money on buying them, then discarded them once he tried to install them. Then he went to work at Crumco and learned how to fabricate so he didn't NEED to BUY seat mounts.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

A good suspension seat is made by PRP... I have PRP high back "Roadsters" in my FG dune buggy and find them very comfortable...

https://www.prpseats.com/

But there is a dozen seat manufacturers out there so its hard to choose....

And as Dusty says, there is nothing out there that fits your VW tracks..... Its fabrication or stock seats (or modification of stock seat hardware)...

Also seat mounting hardware prices vary widely, shop around.... I found some of the best prices for seat hardware at Speedway Motors....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

I wish someone would sell what amounted to a lower seat frame. Something that fits stock seat rails and has a base so you can weld whatever is necessary to fit your seats of choice. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to exist, the closest I've seen is CIP1 offers a new low back seat but it looks like it has its own slider assembly and you drill into the stock floor pan seat rails and bolt it to them.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

Nobody needs to make a product like that. Just take a pair of stock junk seats, and strip them down to the base, than add steel bar to attach the seat to.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

The original Beard style Super Seat is probably your best bet. Race Trim, Corbeau, PRP and others make facsimiles of these. Here's a couple of images lifted from the Gallery that shows a stock seat base modified to mount a Race Trim seat. Even has the ability to tilt the seat forward for rear seat entry...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

Here's how I did mine with Race Trim suspension seats ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=13

It made installing the carpet more challenging though.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

MI-Bug wrote:
The original Beard style Super Seat is probably your best bet. Race Trim, Corbeau, PRP and others make facsimiles of these. Here's a couple of images lifted from the Gallery that shows a stock seat base modified to mount a Race Trim seat. Even has the ability to tilt the seat forward for rear seat entry...

Slight correction.

Beard's suspension seats were not the "original". Mastercraft was the ORIGINAL. Pape was the 2nd builder of such seats. Beards were a low price copy. Then PRP was a low price copy of Beard seats. Then others like Corbeau got into the game and then Chinese copies and EMPI is one of the most recent. Until the Chinese copies, they were all made here in SoCal.
SoCalBajas Member
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
MI-Bug wrote:

Slight correction.

Beard's suspension seats were not the "original". Mastercraft was the ORIGINAL. Pape was the 2nd builder of such seats. Beards were a low price copy. Then PRP was a low price copy of Beard seats. Then others like Corbeau got into the game and then Chinese copies and EMPI is one of the most recent. Until the Chinese copies, they were all made here in SoCal.

Thank you for correcting me Richard!
mar-tay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Nobody needs to make a product like that. Just take a pair of stock junk seats, and strip them down to the base, than add steel bar to attach the seat to.
I've been waiting for a cheap set of seat bases to hack up and use for custom seats to pop up locally for months. No luck so far...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension seat questions..... Reply with quote

By the way, regarding adapting other seats to the VW seat bases...

The early seat tracks through about 1969 or 70 are single rail tracks. Later ones are double rail tracks which are FAR stronger. For use in offroad race cars ever since the 1970s, race rules have required that such seat tracks have a u-bolt through the floor and over the top of the tracks to ensure that the seats can't come off the tracks.

They got stronger rails in the early 70s because they had a history of occasionally coming off the single rail tracks in crashes. Then starting in, IIRC, 1974 year model, the seat mounts were changed to a 3-point mount with a large pyramid structure under the seat that REALLY is not adaptable to other seats. Those are best to cut out if you want to replace the seats.

In my '58 Bug, I've had to weld cracks in those single rails a couple of times. But with 950K + miles, Baja Bug since the mid 70s, offroad used hard since 375K miles, the original tracks are still hanging in. I really SHOULD reinforce or replace those tracks at least with double rails.

But again, there are universal mounts that really don't fit a Bug right that you can get from Moore Parts, Pacific Customs, Appletree and many other VW parts houses as well as from hot rod supply outfits like Summit, Jeg's and Speedway. But whatever you get, you had best be prepared to do some fabricating to get them to fit in a Bug.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: