Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Constantly slack fanbelt
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I posted about a month ago about my fanbelt. The problem is, I replace the belt and the play is about correct, 0.5(ish) of an inch, but I have 0 shims between the pulley halves. After a couple of hundred miles, it's extremely loose again. I even paint marked the generator pulley nut to ensure it isn't backing off at all. The belts I'm using are 10mm x900mm.

I've taken some pics and a video to demonstrate this time. I've seen it said that the crank/generator pulleys being out of alignment will wear the edges of the belt (stands to reason). Note the black dust everywhere, which seems to agree with this theory. Also note, using my spirit level, how far out of alignment the pulleys seem to be.

I don't know how I could correctly align the generator pulley with the crank however. It's seated on the pedestal and bolted to the fan housing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chris

VIDEO

https://streamable.com/aqvuoz

IMAGES

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Maybe you need a slightly smaller belt. Then you can put some shims between pulleys and be able to start out a little tighter.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Your belt should not ride that low. Ever. You need a shorter and or a wider belt. Your pulley could be subject also.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

The picture of the torpedo level tells me you got butt sag, or your bus was parked on an incline or your mustache mounts are bad or missing. Alignment is not as critical as some would have you believe, it does change with shims. You should be able to eyeball that. Your belt riding that low in the pulley with no shims makes me think your pulley is the problem.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Looks like there is black dust all over the hoses, you’re probably shredding the belt. I’m no pro and I’ve never run a generator, but it sure does look like yours is clocked the wrong way. Looks like your connections are at 11 o’clock and I think they should be at 1 o’clock. Maybe you’re missing some backing plate parts that connect the generator to the fan housing. There’s several parts, maybe I can find you a pic, or maybe someone will post an exploded view of it for you.

There’s lots of fan belt information in the engine forum, just search “fan belt” and click the title only box.

Here’s one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569556&highlight=fan+belt

Generator thread from tech tips:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8116434#8116434

Photo taken from the gallery, first one I found.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Is the nut tight when you go back and check the belt and find it loose? It should be.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Is the nut tight when you go back and check the belt and find it loose? It should be.

In the second and third pics it looks like he marked the nut with paint or a marker.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

In the second and third pics it looks like he marked the nut with paint or a marker.

That just means the nut hasn't turned, it doesn't mean that the nut was properly tightened against the washers.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

It’s easy to mess up 38 amp and 30amp,generator and pulley parts, and if you don’t have the right set the pulley will get loose from side load. Make sure all those parts belong together. Pull them off, right down part numbers and post up.

These applies all the way to the fan housing end , too.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

I'll bite, whats the part number of your generator? The pulley feel like stamped steel?

Who has seen a stock 30 or 38 with a factory belt? Weird af compared what we see now

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

It looks like you have a cast iron front (nearest to the generator) pulley. Hopefully, this is paired with a 38 amp generator mounted on a dished fan tin...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

The sharp/machined lip on the inner pulley gives it away as cast iron.

chris86uk, are you looking for the best, quickest, or cheapest solution?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Isn’t there supposed to be a certain amount of shims used? You vary the combination to achieve a tight belt but you always need to have a total of 7 or 8 (can’t remember) shims or else your nut will bottom out on the shaft threads
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Isn’t there supposed to be a certain amount of shims used? You vary the combination to achieve a tight belt but you always need to have a total of 7 or 8 (can’t remember) shims or else your nut will bottom out on the shaft threads

That was true when VW was the only one making shims, all perfectly true and identical in size. Nowadays half the new shims in blister packs need lapping, and the sizes are all over the map.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

It looks to me like there's no shims between the pulley halfs and they are all under the washer, yet the belt isn't getting tight enough. That outer pulley half looks a bit odd, usually it's the same diameter as the inner on a 38a, that one looks slightly bigger, is the mix of parts messing with the belt gap?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Constantly slack fanbelt Reply with quote

Is the crankshaft pulley the 7" OD? If smaller, it is an earlier pulley and not good for the DH cooling system for a bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: