Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tilt Steering Wheel
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Tilt Steering Wheel Reply with quote

As I was fixing some issues with my brakes, I grabbed the steering wheel to get in. My buggy has a tilt wheel that came out of old mustang. Anyway as I grab the wheel to stable myself, the wheel just slipped down from is neutral position. What I mean to say is, now the wheel will move with ease to any position of the tilt even if I turn the steering wheel left or right. I can't drive the buggy with the wheel That has a mind of its own. I need to replace the the column and all. The wiring for the wheel is pretty messed up. The PO did a butcher job on it, but very thing works. So I guess my question would be, what steering column would work, or even a aftermarket column. I need to know how I could wire the new column to the existing wiring. Sound like a major undertaking. This is an older photo, but that's the column I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tilt Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Any of the aftermarket tilts will work (Ididit, Flaming River, Chinese knock offs). You just need to know the right length and which ujoints to use.

The wiring is really quite simple. Blinkers, flashers, and horn.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tilt Steering Wheel Reply with quote

You might be able to fix that column. There is an extensive aftermarket parts supply for Mustangs and it might be a simple fix.
See if you can find the linkage....you might just need to file the lock points a bit or replace a wear part.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tilt Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Thanks jspbtown. Would I be able to find the connections using a circuit tester or a light?. There is a bundle of wires coming from where the turn signal lever is, on the column and to where the ignition switch is. Do I just poke through the wire as I turn the key on for power? I plan on using something similar to the ididit columns, with a separate keyed ignition switch. The column is wired for GM applications.
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tilt Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Here's a diagram for the GM type column connector.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tilt Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Thank you jbsx127 this should help a lot. Now I just have to figure out what the colors are for a 73 mustang column are and try to piece them together. This is going to take awhile.......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: