Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

I too rattle can'd my stove face plate and applied new decals.

The paint I used was Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professiona.../100144179

Had I the opportunity to purchase locally I would have tried the Light Gray first. It looks to be a better match for all the other Gray shades of the kitchen. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer...ine%20Gray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
I have been doing this project for a few years and have run 4 or 5 batches of stoves including a brown batch. I have no plans to run this again. If anyone wants to organize this process I can share with you my experience and help you avoid ALL the pitfalls I got caught in. PM me.

The silk screening is the expensive part as making the initial screen and printing have setup charges. These charges do not increase with the number of stoves printed, you just get a per stove charge and so spread out the set up fees across many stoves, so it works out well. Very little savings in bulk powder coating.

Many of us wanted our stoves restored to original so the decal route ran a poor second choice.

Are the screens still available? If not, what's the process to get new ones made? Can they do it from the original stove plate or does someone have a file?

Thanks for any info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

I need this done on two vans, can someone point me in the right direction?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

The powder coat and silk screening described in this thread sounds nice but it also may be a lot of work for not much added value.

I removed the kitchen faceplate, sanded down the rough spots and feathered the edges where the paint chipped, painted it with rustoleum and applied stickers bought from GW or vancafe.

I used gloss smoke grey. Most folks use satin but I like the shine and easy cleaning of the gloss. Folks also use a number of different greys from rustoleum or SEM. There's a thread here with examples of different colors. I've seen some orange or red paint that looked good too.

Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

Thanks! jimf909!

for anyone looking to do a brown one here is a thread with a paint option...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=294140
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

Here's the grey paint color survey thread...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753585&highlight=

Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: