Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

South African Grille procurement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeynz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

I have a 1981 T25 / Vanagon air cooled Westfalia and as part of a full restoration I have been trying to locate a South African upper grille allowing me to procure new headlights and inner driving lights. I have searched most supplier sites but it appears these are now either very rare or discontinued. If any body knows of a seller who may have one of these for sale I would love to hear from you. I am in New Zealand but happy to get it shipped. Locating a set of suitable lights that fit and are set to drive on the left side of the road (like UK etc.) would also be appreciated. Thanks.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

These have become unobtanium here in the states. I believe one recently went for $1500 at an auction. Yes, that was just the grill, it didn't come with a van.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

A popular alternative is to make your own by modifying the original 7" round head lamp grille. Lots of examples here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504430&highlight=south+african+grille

Some look pretty good and are probably not as fragile as the original SA grille.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
These have become unobtanium here in the states. I believe one recently went for $1500 at an auction. Yes, that was just the grill, it didn't come with a van.

Without lights even? E-bay auction?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

I saw $2k for an ebay auction. Nuts!
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

Look like its time for some sort of security strap!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

vino de vano wrote:
Look like its time for some sort of security strap!

Thought of this too, sadly some thief will just destroy the whole grill in the process of trying to steal it :/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I saw $2k for an ebay auction. Nuts!

The 2K one has been there forever, so unlikely to sell. But yes, nuts that someone would list as such.

Maybe I need to sell my complete set-up!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

Have you checked with VW itself? Sometimes they have things that no one else does.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Have you checked with VW itself? Sometimes they have things that no one else does.

I reached up to the VW classic parts and this was their feedback:

Quote:
Hallo Volkswagen Parts,
Hello Viktor

No, we are really sorry, but we have no chance for this grille anymore.

Ihr Support-Team von VW Classicparts,
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Volkswagen Classic Parts

There is someone in Germany offering fiberglass repro
Or maybe some far east vendor may make a copy like to SA lower grill if they will think it is a good business for them
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

That's a lot of money for a truly flimsy piece of plastic. Its why I stuck with the rectangles and went E-code. If someone had a BIG 3D printer . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deaddrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

I sold mine for $1800 last year.

'91 syncro Westfalia, 2nd and 4th owner

Ò,ó
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

Has anyone tried contacting salvage yards or parts suppliers in South Africa? These were produced until fairly recently. I am surprised if they don’t have crash replacement parts available on the local market.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

They are about 5000Rand ($360). ¨Problem¨ is shipping. They do not ship outside SA. If you want to organize your shipping it is expensive. Quote from UPS is roughly 7000Rand to Europe

Unless you are willing to buy multiple units it is not worth it in my opinion.

I´m actrually thinking to try to make it as 3D print part(s).
At home I can print it in 7 parts
I know a company who can print up to 500mm long unit. So 4 parts are possible. I´m not sure about the finish as well. This is a backburner project for me at the moment.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

or 3D the end and middle pieces; use small dia Al tubes in between

I guess I'm glad I have one, but it was still overpriced...
popeynz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

Thanks to all contributors. Special thanks for the link to the cut out efforts. I am going to go with this option and my local workshop are happy to have a go at the task. I located some original inner lights and we are now searching for some H4 Hella replacements (left side traffic). I’ll even have a scout around for the suggested black plastic rims although we don’t have the beauty of a Home Depot New Zealand. I’ll post a pic of the completed job but it will be a while as the Westy is having a full paint job first.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

This post w/ the good looking grill mentions printed trim rings by Uniwerks and they appear to be currently available in two sizes. A possibility...

Uniwerks page...
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/exterior-accessories/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8446378#8446378
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

deaddrift wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Wow! Just wow!
Was that with light buckets and inner lights, just grill or ???
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grill procurement Reply with quote

deaddrift wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

1500/1800USD may cover the costs of postage from SA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille procurement Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
This post w/ the good looking grill mentions printed trim rings by Uniwerks and they appear to be currently available in two sizes. A possibility...

Uniwerks page...
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/exterior-accessories/

Checked Uniwerks webpage and they show flat trim rings. When he made them for my project, they were curved to match the curve of the grill. I didn't get a picture of them before I installed them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: