Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Berrien Warrior
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you like to use stock parts if you can. JFYI I used the stock wiper assembly and motor and also the air pressurized washer tank on mine. It can be done. Only one wiper ends up really doing anything but it served it's purpose plus it's motorized!
Let me know if your interested in pics...
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link and yes I found that gasket and all ready have it and that is what I am going to do. There is one installer her in town that did a friends buggy so it will get done. I would like a pic of your wiper. I was planning on going with one of those hot rod kits with 1 motor and 1 wiper and mount it in the middle. I don't plan to drive it in the rain just make them happy LOL.

Ed
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atm I don't have any direct pics of it to share but I can explain a bit now and take a pic for you tonite when I'm home.
The stock beetle assembly basically attaches from just two points at the bottom of the windshield. All that's needed to do is to weld two tabs off the bottom of the lower tube and angle them so the wipers are in line with the windshield the best.
Super simple. Not real pretty if it's all exposed , but you have that bodywork which may help or get in the way.
Wild Will
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting 1zz in my buggy any tips on what has to stay
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Toyota wiring book for my 2000 Corolla and that was what helped the most. On mine the one thing I haven't been able to figure out is the fan control so I have them on a toggle switch. The rest has worked good. I did have to add a speed sensor to make it run right. I also used the stock Cat in my exhaust and both O2 sensors. I have the oil pressure idiot light working from the computer also. I also left the ALDL in and can read the codes. I did leave out the purge canister and it will set a code sometimes and sometimes not but it runs fine anyway without it. Also used the stock mass air flow sensor and air cleaner too. I am using the stock Toyota fuel pump in the tank and the computer controls the fuel pump relay. There is 1 wire to the computer that is hot all the time and 2 wires the are switched to run Then the fuel pump relay wire and the O2s sensors and speed sensor wire, I think those are the important ones. If you are having a problem I will look in my book and see if I can find what your working on.

Ed
Wild Will
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks plan on starting to put back togeather this weekend
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is about done and I am ready for better weather now to go test it out. I added a windshield and a wiper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The dash and the wiper motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Think I will take a break on it and maybe build a light tow dolly for it next.

Ed
2RL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That turned out nice! What kind of dolly are you making for it? Something like the old t trailers?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really looks well done with that windshield. I get to build a T-trailer too when I'm done since I sold my flat bed for parts money last fall. Can't wait to have it behind my motorohome going away for a fun weekend. Gods know I could use one after this winter!

btw, Ed, what do you use for a fuel filter? I was going to use a metal can type that my chevy truck uses but I think the fittings are metric on the ends...
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Not sure yet if I am going to build a T type trailer or just a tow dolly that I would back the back wheels on and leave the front wheels on the ground. What do you guys think? I have a old home made boat trailer to start with but it is all wrong LOL.

OC my Toyota setup is nothing like what yours will be, the Toyota has the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and filter all in the tank and just 1 fuel line to the motor that is a solid uninterrupted line. That was the main reason I cut that part out of the Toyota tank and welded it into my tank. It is a nice setup to use.

Ed
Island Bumpkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
It really looks well done with that windshield. I get to build a T-trailer too when I'm done since I sold my flat bed for parts money last fall. Can't wait to have it behind my motorohome going away for a fun weekend. Gods know I could use one after this winter!

btw, Ed, what do you use for a fuel filter? I was going to use a metal can type that my chevy truck uses but I think the fittings are metric on the ends...

You got the metric part right. If you're after the metal canister filters that have the "swivel" threaded ends for hard lines, I don't think you'll find any that have american straight threads or pipe threads, at least through an application based search.

IIRC, you've got -AN fittings on your gas tank now. Quick search on summit racing yielded -AN inline fuel filters in a variety of sizes and and configurations.

BTW, looking good Ed! Almost time to take it out and romp around a bit
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556996
1988 F250 SC/LB 7.3 IDI/ZF5/Dana 50 front, Sterling 10.25 rear. 4" lift -Daily-
1976 F250 Reg cab/LB Stock 300/NP435/NP205 -Long Term Project-

Axitech wrote:
My rail is basically my "I can't take civilized life anymore this month, so I'm going camping" vehicle
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, most places you can run a T-trailer with out having to plate it and you add a trailer harness to your buggy so the turn signals run off the tow vehicle. T-trailer is a lot easier in that respect. I don't even think you need to worry about suspension. Just a deep wide drop axle with a a long tube T'ed into it, a receiver on the end of that and two wheel pockets on the axle. If you can make it compact enough it's hard to tell it's even on a trailer.
Timofeykuz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm new to TheSamba. I'm currently building a 1zzfe buggy also. I'm wondering how you made a speed sensor for the ecm to read the signal. I'm in desperate need because I got a trip right on my nose that I need to go to with this buggy. Thanks!
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My Berrien Warrior Reply with quote

I put a pulse generator in the speedometer cable, not a true speed signal but it made the computer happy and quit going into limp mode.

Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: